What would happen to your body if you only ate fruit?

what would happen to your body if you only ate fruit for a month or longer? (just random curiosity)

Most Helpful Girl

• You would obviously have a b12 deficiency, since b12 cannot be found in any fruits. You'd also probably lack calcium, iron, zinc, protein, omega-3 and omega-6 essential acids.

If you wanna know what exactly that does to your body then I'll tell you:

A B12 deficiency can lead to many hematological and/or neuropsychiatric diseases, so as you can see it is quite an important vitamin!

Calcium deficiency will make your bones become weak so you could get bone related diseases such as osteoporosis.

Iron delivers oxygen throughout your body so as your iron levels will drop, you will start feeling exhausted, maybe even dizzy and light headed. Your brain development and immune functions would also be affected.

A zinc deficiency will lead to unhealthy skin, nails and hair (not a cute look!) as well as high blood cholesterol, poor blood circulation and infertility.

If you lack protein, oh boy. First off, your immune system will weaken. The body needs protein to make/repair new cells, tissues, to transport nutrients and oxygen through your blood and for its basic functions such as metabolism and digestion. What happens when you don't get enough protein is that eventually, your body will resort to breaking down your muscle in order to get some.

And this is just the stuff I could think of off the top of my head, so I hope you weren't considering that kind of a diet.

What Guys Said 7

• hey,(in brief detail explanation)

most of the fruits are a good source of vitamins and minerals( specially dry fruits) ...

.Fruits contain many anti-oxidants for example vitamin C , these antioxidant molecules help in oxidative stress ...increase your immunity , prevent cancer ( not excatly , retrospective I like oxidative pathway is beleived to cause cancer and fruits contain anti oxidants )

apples are rich in iron = stores for haemoglobin production

oranges = rich in vit C anti oxidents ( believed to prevent common cold)

dry fruits = rich in many vitmins and minerals

cane sugar and watermelonn = rich in sugars ( carbohydrates = petrol of our body)

main biochemical families are

1) carbohydrate = direct fuel for energy

2) lipid = the storage from

3) proteins = building blocks , immunity , enzymes, physiologically active molecules( muscle movement is manily because actin and myosin protien molecules sliding on each other)

4) vitamins and minerals : they help in biological reactions .

EX iron helps to carry oxygen to different parts of the body in haemoglobin)

body takes primery energy from carbohydate , if there isn't much then it ll covert lipids into energy souce, if lipid are less then it ll convert protiens into energy , it ll demolish your muscle s and the body.

so you need to balance every thing in the body right from carbohydate to protiens to vitamins .

a balanced diet .

so plan a balanced diet

source : I have a doc

• i really don't know who is right, you or imperatriz LOL

• imperatriz is right too! I just explained it in a lay mans terms .

IS ALSO MENTIONED THE IMPORTANT POINT VIT B12 IS RARELY PRESENT IN THE VEGETARIAN DIET DEFICIENCY OF MAY CAUSE

1)MEGALOBLASTIC ANEMIA

2) IN SEVERE CASES CAN CAUSE SUB ACUTE DEGENRATION OF THE SPINAL CORD

VISIT THE WHO (WORLD HEALTH ORGANISATION ) SITE FOR DAILY RECOMMENDATIONS.

CHECK WIKIPEDIA FOR THE ROLE OF VITS AND MINERALS

• At the end of it all, you would be borderline skin and bones with almost no shape.

You would need a source of protein otherwise your body will eat away at your muscles. Also, a multivitamin would be necessary.

• you'd probably poop a lot.

I've heard it's a good detox diet from some people but I'm not entirely sure how accurate that is.

in terms of protein intake I wouldn't recommend it because there's very little protein in any fruit.

• There is no such thing as a good "detox" diet; there is no evidence that such diets have significant health benefits.

• read what I said, I was merely going by what I've heard, I wasn't stating facts.

• Tc is gone? oh my

• Well they say if you eat too many carrots, your eyes turn orange. I wonder if it's the same way with fruits.

• wow :O I thought he meant that as a joke...

• Truth is often stranger than fiction ;)

• i think imperatriz is right for the most part.

In short, among other things, you would not receive enough fat or protein in your diet, virtually none. Fat is required for liposoluble vitamins to be absorbed so many of the possible extra vitamins you'd receive depending on the fruit you ate wouldn't be absorbed anyway. Also protein deficiency causes a lot of problems.

• you would be healther, also eat vegetables :p

• You'd probably lose a lot of weight because most fruits are largely water. If you got enough calories you would still probably lose muscle weight due to protein deficiencies. Vegetarians have to work hard at planning their meals to insure they get all the necessarily protein. The large majority of that protein does not come from fruits. It would be your main problem.

• i thought that you would actually gain some weight, because of all the sugar...

• It depends on the number of calories you take in. Fresh fruits have a lot of water. Fruit juices are condensed and have sugars added. For example a large apple is like 100 calories. Do you think you could stomach 5 large apple in one sitting to get a 500 calorie meal? There is a lot of volume to a meal like that, so you may not get all the calories you need.

What Girls Said 3

• You will get too little of vitamins and minerals. Probably not get enough fibres and definitely not enough protein. I think you would probably not feel very well...

• you will sh*t alot.

i'm being serious.

• You would probably be very healthy. But I have always been told that there is this one vitamin (or maybe it was a mineral?) that can only be found in meat. So after awhile the lack of that could hurt you.