Why is it important to some people to buy designer clothes, shoes, etc?

I don't get it. It's not that I can't afford buying some designer items. With the way things are going right now it's not worth it unless you make lots of money. I know some people who are on welfare or don't have a good payin job, and they are shopping at those expensive stores. Do you think it's fair for taxpayers?

Most Helpful Guy

• Some people do it because its an indication of status. You can see why the rich and the poor can do that especially. The poor probably have self-esteem issues because they are on welfare so they want to appear that they are not poor, although I'm sure they won't really be able to afford the big names. then there are people like me who just like the style and the fit that these designer names offer. I don't care about the brand name but most of the designer labels I wear have a distinct or a unique style that always keeps me coming back.

What Guys Said 3

• Because they have the money to

• But do you think it's fair for someone to use taxpayer's money for this?

• It evens out by using other taxpayers money to pay for new roads, and help bring new jobs to a city

• Because they think its gunna make them more succeptable to being popular and being asked out more. Or have guys / girls notice them morr

• Its their choice. If that's what makes the people on welfare happy then so be it. If you are worried about what's fair for tax payers you should worry about the 10s of billions of dollers taxes used to supply countries yearly with weapons so they commit genocide

• or how much of our tax money goes to the pentagon so they can decide who to start another useless war with.

What Girls Said 4

• I definitely don't think that's fair, and I'm not sure there's a lot of people who would disagree with that. You're using tax money for pointless things and most of the time it leaves their children at home hungry because of it. Some people are just addicted to having the "good life lifestyle" and have to have everything that is designer or pricey. Personally I'm guilty of having designer things but if I can't afford it or fit it into my budget then I won't buy it.

• people don't buy designer clothes to feel good about themselves. They buy it because designers are always on top of new styles, fashions, their quality is absolutely AMAZING, and their clothes are beautiful. Sure a stor like forever21 has cheap and pretty clothes, but it looks and feels so much different from designer clothing, and you don't realzie it until you own some.

• I understand about the quality and it does make a difference. I bought an anne klein wool coat and it is so soft compared to the one I had from meryvn's along time ago. I'm not saying it's wrong to own these things.

• I honestly think it is a matter of personal preference. sometimes people who have little want to feel special and it makes them feel like they are "up with the Jones" and others just know how to use the system to get what they want. That is a really difficult question to interpret without knowing the individual case.

• I don't think designer clothing stores accept food stamps or clothing vouchers so they must be getting the money from somewhere else...