Will I look very out of place and snobby?

I live in Sweden. I go to a private school and we all dress pretty preppy and stylish. We're not rich, but wealthy, as parents have good jobs and nice house, but we're not spoiled snobs who have designer clothes. However, at my school it's normal to wear heels to school when you're 14. If anyone gets the picture. I have some friends in US and when I was there it was a lot more laidback and in college people wear sweats. I'm going to college next year, my plan is to go to stanford. Will I look very out of place and snobby? I don't want to make a bad first impression.

Most Helpful Girl

• i went to private school here in the states and felt the same way you do. I wore heels, nice skirts and a nice button down my first day in college and found that while I may not have fit in with the people wearing flip flops & holes in their jeans, I found a whole group of people that cared about their apperance and we got along well, it's not snobby, just a bit more classic and perhaps preppy, nothing wrong with that. Don't change who you are out of fear, you will undoubtedly get some comments from people complimenting your style, embrace it and you'll certainly find a plethera of like minded people at stanford. good luck

What Guys Said 4

• In college its mad chill, in the sense that you can wear whatever you really want, and no one will really care. The reason people dress lazy is because theyre lazy. Clothes sort of portray the type of person you are. If you dress with class and fashionable people will feel you have a sense of respect for yourself. It all depends what you want people to see you as. Don't change the way you dress though just because you feel nervous. Impressions are important, but personality makes a bigger difference. By the way Sweden rocks, got some friends from over there. :D

• Wear what makes you feel good and carry yourself in a confident manner. People will notice that more than your clothes. If you feel good wearing what you wear you will obviously show it and most people would probably pick up on your confidence and the way you carry yourself.

• wear what you feel comfortable but its never hurts to be fashionable

as long as you look presentable, you'll be fine =]

• you can wear just about anything in college, its not as restricting, just wear what you think you'll look good as well as most comfortable in

oh and btw, ur country is producing good metal (and no I don't mean the material), keep doing it

What Girls Said 6

• You should wear what you feel comfortable in, even if that means its your day to wear heels. What I mean is, people don't always feel in the mood to wear heels. If you wanna wear sweats, wear sweats. Like heels? Wear heels. If you wanna dress like its the Academy Awards night, and you are headed to the after party, then do so. Okay, wearing a formal dress to your dorm isn't the smartest thing to do, but do you get what I mean. Just be yourself. The only way people will really think you look snobby is if you ACT snobby. So just be the sweetheart that you are. Good luck!

• To be safe, I would avoid the heels thing. That can make you look stuck-up or high maintenance around here. My sister goes to this EXTREMELY ritzy school, and I will never forget the sight of this girl parading around in 5 in. heels with designer shorts and a flashy shirt. GAG! First day of school? Nuh uh.

Just wear nice flats or SMALL heels, skinny jeans, and a sensible shirt. Wear low-key but not cheap jewelry and your hair in a simple but flattering style.

• Dress the way you want to dress, don't let what other people might think stop you from dressing in a way you think looks good. It sounds like you dress nicely and stylishly, considering the typical American college student dresses like a suburban hobo from 2003, don't let their outdated sense of fashion bring you down!

• ditch the heels

maybe not SO much designer if that's ALL your clothes are.

college is kinda where people don't care about that stuff TOO much

you can wear whatever your comfortable, you may not seem snobby, but there might not be too many others wearing clothes like u

• rock your style.!

dont change for other people

if they think you are snobby and you are really not then win them over with a charming personality.

• No, I don't think you will be seen as being snobby at all. You just care about how you look and you'll probably find people that dress like you there too. I would wear what ever I like and am most comfortable wearing. Don't change your style just because other people might not like it. :)