Black/Mixed Girls With Real Hair?

I'm biracial(black and Hispanic) and my hair is basically small curly ringlets. Some people can tell I'm biracial(although they don't always assume with Hispanic), some just assume I'm black, some Hispanics assume I'm black latino or whatever.

Well, I find in particular, black girls and guys, are always amused at my hair, especially when I straighten it and they feel it and ask me "is it real?" and I tell them "yes."

This black dude in one of my classes plays with my curls and when he first touched it, he was like "whoa, it's real." I was like "yes, of course it's real LOL." No offense to myself, but I sure won't pay for hair that looks like mine lol

This led me to think...do people just assume black or mixed girls have "fake" hair? Cause people seem astonished whenever I straighten my hair and tell them it's real.

Do people not think black or mixed girls can HAVE real hair?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes if you are black with long real hair most people assume that its fake. there is a stereotype that many people of all races believe: that all black women have short hair because we can't grow hair. (this is not me in my profile pic) but I am a black girl who has always had long hair, it runs in my family on both sides. but my entire life people have assumed that I must either be biracial (nope) or have a weave. now if you are mixed people are more likely to believe that's your hair, but if you're full black or brown skinned/dark they assume that it cannot be real because we're all supposed to be bald headed *rolls eyes* once your hair gets past your shoulders, all the weave speculation starts.

What Guys Said 3

• The black guys/girls who asked you it's real because it's very common for a black or mixed black girl to wear weaves.

• I have three sisters and their hair is all different. One of them has hair like you and one has hair that is frizzy and nappy and the last one has hair that is really wavy. They get asked all te time if their hair is fake. XD

• i can't tell the difference most of the time

What Girls Said 4

• Can I see your hair? It sounds amazing. I LOVE curly hair and I am completely envious!

To answer your question, no I do not think they have fake hair. I think that they just know how to keep their hair maintenance. I heard that it's a lot of work for people who have curly or wavy hair even in other races. My hair is straight and I am a tomboy. I don't even dry my hair when I get out of the shower, so I don't know too much about it, but I know that I never even realized that most black women wear wigs/weaves. I only found that out when I was 17; I was so naive.

• Now that I think about it, I've never taken a photo with my curly hair down cause I don't look good in photos with it. I have pics with me in a ponytail(not to say I don't hate that look) but idk.

• Curly hair is gorgeous! It's just got so much character! If that guy was tugging on your hair, it must mean he liked it too. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not beautiful. I think we (not all of us) judge ourselves too harshly! Anyway, my statement still stands! Curly hair is beautiful! :)

• I have natural shoulder-length hair, yet some people seem to think it's a weave or I'm wearing extensions. I straighten my hair also and I guess they think it's fake since it doesn't look like "stereotypical black hair". People who touch my hair tend to say stuff like "oh it's so soft what do you use?" umm conditioner like everyone else lol :P

• I usually get offended when people do that to me. And yes a lot of them do think black/mixed girls have short hair that's rough in texture.

• I do assume black girls are wearing weave unless it's obvious it's their real hair but I don't think the same when it comes to mixed girls.