Girls, are you ever convinced someone is gay by the way they dress?

I kind of have my own style which largely consists of jackets that are pretty brightly colored, with some really crazy red/orange shoes. Sometimes I wear a bandana around my neck cause it looks cool. My question is, are some girls not approaching me because they think I'm gay. I was talking to this one girl at a bar yesterday and she was in shock when I asked for her number because she said she thought I was gay.

My voice is pretty low and I don't talk or act like a guy guy ("Lyke OMG"). I don't wanna change the way I dress cause I like the way I look, it's just been bothering me lately.

Added some pictures to my profile.

Most Helpful Girl

• No, not really. I don't judge guys on the way that they dress. Sometimes it is hard to tell if a guy if gay anyways. Not all of them have that distinct voice and often fall below the gaydar haha. I used to work at Hollister where all the guys dressed nice and didn't look gay, but many of them were. Don't change the way that you dress! && I am sure that there are girls who don't think you are gay. If you give a girl your number and she says that she thought you were gay just say no and laugh it off and say something jokingly like, " I thought you were a lesbian, but I just had to try." haha or something like that.

:]

What Girls Said 7

• As long as you don't act gay then there are no grounds to infer that you are.

I hate it when people judge in 3 seconds and assume they know EVERYTHING about a person. That really pisses me off.

Some girls out there are very analytical but the evidence for their judgement is very sparse. lol, The girl at the bar most likely is the shallow type and judges without getting to know the person in front of her, dumb chick. You shouldn't think all girls are that dumb.

• I went to high school with guys who dressed like that, and they definitely weren't gay.

Wear whatever you want. People may judge you, but they shouldn't hold your style against you. I mean, if a girl refuses to believe that you're straight, she's an idiot. That's really all there is to it.

• I wouldn't assume someone with your particular style was gay. I would, however, assume a guy in leggings and a sequined belly top is gay. When I see a particularly fashionable, handsome and well dressed man I HOPE TO GOD he isn't gay. Peoples personal style can usually be associated with a certain demographic. Dressing in bright colours is far from being a hands-down, obviously-gay trait, it just means you like bright colours (and maybe you're really into electronic music too but that's another issue). Unless the people you hang around with are not exposed to many different cultures or people who dress differently, there would be no reason to think you're gay.

• The only time I suspect a guy to be gay is if he has an incredible style, and he talks girly. From what you explained, if I met you I wouldn't think that you were. Maybe laugh when they say that and casually ask WHY they think you are? Sometimes girls think guys are gay if they have feminine features, it could be anything. You need to ask and get a clear response to know for sure!

And a tip,the bandana... eh, wouldn't wear that.

(:

• We might think that you are gay, but judging right off the bat, but then after a while if you get to know the girl you should be fine. Everyone thought (and some still do) think my guy friend is gay, because of his voice but he's nice and friendly and he got a girlfriend before some of my other friends. So just be yourself :]

• i think they are honestly. I don't think its a big deal if one person mistaked you for being gay though. not everyones the same and everyone is def not going to think that.

just dress how you like. people should accept you as is.

• as long as you like how you look then fine !

What Guys Said 5

• If you live in europe it shouldn't be as much of an issue. Guys are a little more cultured and worldly over there. In the states there are a lot of rugged guys who eat steak and down beers. So there might be more cultural differences between gays and straight people hear. In Europe I would think girls would like a guy who drinks lattes and goes to art museums. So you might be dealing with another issue.

• That's kind of the problem. I lived in Europe for a long time and moved to the states (California) about 4 years ago. I still consider myself European, and even though I'd look perfectly normal in a city like London or Barcelona, I get some weird looks over here in the states.

• Your style's totally Nu-rave.

I didn't have to read your profile name to see that from your description of clothing.

Some chicks just don't know what it is.

Also, a lot of girls immediately assume that any guy that knows how to dress is gay.

Also, wtf were you doing at a BAR?

• Friend's bro own the place so he's cool if we bring our group. Place is overrun with highschooler's with fake id's anyway.

• people have said it all.. I just want to add that I get that too! except sometimes people think I'm a girl as well O.o

• I hope not, cause I tend to dress nice. Doesn't mean I'm gay or anything.

• Don't know about the "gay" look, but the bandana around your neck definitely isn't "cool". Might want to avoid that.