Do you think the way people dress reflects who they are as a person?

I.e If a woman is wearing a very short skirt and low cut top, is she promiscuous (or is the assumption of her being promiscuous valid because of how she's dressed)?

If a man is wearing a wife-beater and sweats, is he an unemployed low life (or is the assumption of him being an unemployed low life valid because of how he's dressed)?

Do you judge people based on how they are dressed? (by 'judge' I mean negatively or positively, as in, do you assume how people are because of how they are dressed.)

Most Helpful Girl

• Sometimes, but I try not to.

For instance, so many people that dress like they are too lazy to take care of themselves, but they are not lazy at all. They are really hard working people with self worth issues.

Or, I have met people who take great care of themselves and dress beautifully, but they are the ugliest people inside. They are rude to others and have their noses in the air.

I have also met girls who dress "text book" slutty, but they are anything but that.

This is one of those, "don't jude a book by it's cover" scenarios.

What Guys Said 6

• some people can be analyzed for their style and outfits and can interpret their mind and social status as well, but sometimes people over analyzes things way too far.

For example: There is a girl in a light jacket with the sleeves rolled up, V neck T shirt, and jeans with boots. Now people can say she's doing the casual but I'm sexy look, others can say its just her style, while others might say she threw that together.

Now if she was wearing the outfit you were referring to in your question such as a short mini skirt and a low cut top is very quite accurate. I'm basing this off a comedian, but if your wearing a mini skirt, with a thong or no panties on, with a low cut top with your breasts sticking out, guys are gonna come to you and try to flirt with you. she can't reply and say 'Hey, just because I'm dressed this way...Doesn't make me a whore!" No , but your sure as hell would look like one on the street in a dark area.

So the image and style you portray reflects the image you give off, so ladies, if your wearing things like that and wonder why men keep flirting with you, now you know. A few people have tried to analyze me on my clothing and style and usually end up making wrong assumptions but I'm okay with that. It depends on what makes you feel comfortable when you go outside.

• To answer your question it is somewhat true but most of the times that is not the case. Don't judge a book by it's cover. Give it some time but some people may not have the time of day to wait that long and truly see the person for who they are. It takes only seven seconds for us to judge another person when we first meet them. It’s not a conscious process, so we don’t even realize we’re doing it.

• !st impressions are important as I think that if you represent yourself in a negative manner you do not have a good impression upon yourself. I have lived a bit and know that even the 1st impression of someone does not truly reflect who you are as a person. I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes an outfit will represent a mood and has nothing to do with who they are as a person. Unless I am working my clothes usually fit my mood.

• No,hoe. I rhymed my answer just for you. :D

• I think clothing reflects mood and how you would like to be perceived by others. So yeah, go ahead and judge.

• yes

What Girls Said 11

• I think all of those are some pretty harsh judgement >< I find that I'm very... to the point with these sorts of things. In examining what a skimpy outfit means or represents, my immediate thoughts always follow that if she is comfortable with showing herself and doesn't mind the attention.

If a guy is wearing simple clothing I just assume he's had a lazy day and envy his comfort :P

• No I dont. I think a lot of factors affect it. Where I live its mostly hot, so wearing pants isn't exactly going to be comfortable, so mostly I wear short shorts and singlet tops. Does that mean I'm a whore? Not at all. I've always dressed in a way that others might find too revealing, but I dress like that because I feel better about myself when I feel a bit sexy, plus I feel frumpy when I wear a heap of layers. I don't judge people on how they dress, unless they have their ass cheeks hanging out the bottom of their shorts which I've seen.

• I think first impressions count. Big time, lets say you see a girl in 4inch heels and a skirt and very fashionable, and she's on her phone and she's carrying a expensive handbag, people are going to think she has a lot of money and she gets what she wants, when in reality, she could be the total opposite, look the way you want to be seen, sorry if I sound bitchy, I don't intend to : )

• short answer-Not exactly.

• Yes I do, because you choose what you wear, so it is what you want people to see about you... Like is he plain? Is she bold? Doesnt he take risks... And so on...

I would be lyng if I said it doesn't matter... Colors choices mean things too... Like neutrol colors, pratical person, might be boring...Of course we change it, depending on the mood...

• Yes I think to a point it does, you can tell how much they care about their appearance.

• It can but it can also just be a style really

• nope I don't really pay any attention to what people wear.

it's all about how you act not what you wear.

• not really. see living in australia everyone wears shorts and a t-shirt all the time, some even in winter. and anyway no one cares.

• no because my style changes all the time one day I'm wearing sweatpants and a hoodie the next day tshirt and jeans the next day a nice summer dress.

• Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. You can't always judge a book by its cover. I don't assume things about people based on how they are dressed.