Why are there so many negative connotations towards those the obviously care about their appearance?

For example the girl in heels, jeans, a nice top, make up and done hair v the girl in old sneakers, t-shirt, jeans, make up and hair tied back. (both girls might take the exact same time to get ready and care about their appearance the same but girl two appears more casual thus making her look like she takes less time/ cares less etc..) I dress like the first girl and I get the dirtiest looks and some rude comments(slut, whore etc..) from other females and quite a few guys look at how I dress and seem to assume I am self absorbed and/or dumb, But if I dress like the other girl, females are nice to me and same with males. I see this happen to other women as well, I don't understand what is wrong with dressing up a little?

* The make up I wear is fairly minimal. I wear: cover-up (for the occasional pimple and dark circles under my eyes), dark brown pencil eyeliner (on the bottom lid) and minimal black mascara on my top lashes.

* I do not dress slutty and example of what I would usually wear would be: dark wash skinny jeans, tank top, cardigan, scarf with 3 inch wedge heels.

Most Helpful Girl

• Jealousy and contempt is at the root of it. We all know that people who take care of their appearance tend to look better. A good looking well kept girl is likely to inspire jealousy in other girls who feel as if they don't measure up compared to her. And some guys will assume you're rude because they are thinking of the "snobby pretty girl who will reject me" stereotype. Either way, it's just people hating on you because you look good. 9 times out of 10 those are the same people who don't do as much with their own appearance. They may not look as good as they can, so they feel jealous and inferior to those who do. Nothing is wrong with dressing up just like nothing is wrong with dressing down. Some people just inject their biased personal feelings in the mix that's all.

What Guys Said 5

• If you are over doing it. If it is revealing, if she uses belt for skirt, then the answer is obvious. That girl looks like she wants to attract everybody by body.

If she is brags about it it is like a guy gets abs and shows them every time he get. Talking about it. It's just "look at me look at me" attitude. It is great it you have abs or if you dress nice, but don't be show off. People will notice. Don't worry about it.

And there are of course haters. They hate and will hate. They will say anything to show they hate. They hate casual dressing girls as well. They just choose some other trait to criticize on those girls. Ignore that!

• Dress for the ocassion and you'll encounter it less frequently with guys. Dressing up to go to school is just attentionseeking for most people for example, where as if you go to a party putting in some extra effort isn't frowned upon.

A female friend of mine takes it as a compliment when other women call her such names, its a jealousy thing and she's quite happy when they do and conciders it a compliment she looks good.

Also, make up doesn't make you look better most of the time... a lot(read: most guys I know) prefer a natural look over a girl who wears a lot of make up anyday.

• Well for me to dressing up a little isn't putting in any extra effort as for make up I usually only wear minimal cover up, eyeliner and mascara and some lip balm.

• Yes but because it appears like its extra effort, people will assume such.

• The simple answer is that, past a certain point, it crosses the line from just looking "good" and looking vain or high maintenance. The key to looking good without looking vain or high maintenance is making it look natural. When you look like you work for it, then the negative assumptions begin to flow.

• wow that is some bad grammar. regardless your idea of dressing up may be on the slutty side or something. I have been with plenty of well-dressed women and they have never got strange or dirty looks from strangers. And sometimes wearing too much make-up looks bad. I will speak for myself and say that I do not like a girl that wears too much make-up and I will never ask a girl out that has foundation on and too much eye-shadow. Just like malekoniky said less is more.

• I know my grammar is shocking :/ I never dress slutty (I am always covered) and I wear minimal make up.

• well then it makes no sense because no well dressed girl I know has ever got strange and dirty looks from strangers.

• can you post a link with an outfit that gave you dirty looks?

• link I've gotten dirty looks wearing all of these outfits

• link this is the closest I can find my eye make up is usually a bit darker on the bottom lid though.

• Well maybe you are just thinking you are getting dirty looks? Maybe you are getting looks of arousal?

What Girls Said 3

• Those kind of people who are being nasty to you because you look good probably are the kind of people who find something negative to say about everyone. Don't let them get to you. I think it's great that you take time to take care of yourself and to look nice. Like you said, you use the same amount of time, so it's not like you are self-absorbed, and you're spending hours in front of the mirror. If dressing nice makes you happy and makes you feel good, screw them. You shouldn't have to dress for anyone but yourself.

• Maybe if you are overdressed people think you are stuck up or something, maybe a spoiled girl... It does take the same time to dress up or not I totally agree, I mean putting heels or sneakers takes the same time... I think the messy plain look is more approachable ...

Keep up with your looks don't worry about others, as long as you feel good, that's what matter

• I'm honestly not sure. One of the questions on GAG recently had to be reported because of the extreme bashing, cursing, etc. It's important for a person to be well groomed and happy.

In extreme cases, where a person is nasty and has attitude because he/she considers him/herself better than others in terms of looks and grooming, others get the wrong idea about personal care and grooming; resentments form, etc. It's understandable to feel anger towards this sort of person, but both the hater and the over-preening individuals are wrong because both are too extreme.

Everything in moderation...