Aren't you supposed to do the sometimes, always,never rule when wearing a suit?

Sometimes do the top button, always do the middle one, and never the bottom one

Most Helpful Guy

• Single breasted, that is pretty much right. Never do the bottom button as it actually distorts the fabric, plus it makes sitting awkward. The top button should be done or left undone depending on what looks best. Doing it may seem to scrunch up the top, where as leaving it undone may cause the suit to flare open more easily if you are moving around and twisting your torso.

However, you may actually be better off with a two button suit or a double breasted suit, especially if you have a shorter, wider torso. With the two button you should only fasten the top. As for the double breasted, the only rule (that I know of) is that it should stay buttoned while you wear it. The exact configurations of what buttons you choose depends simply on what looks best.

Hope that helped.

What Girls Said 3

• I heard you button the 3rd last and the second last. But you could be right, people just make this stuff up ya know..

• not sure about that rule, but always the bottom and middle, top is optional

but never just the bottom

• I asked my dad about this when I seen a commercial with a guy on it that didn't button the first button but buttoned the last (two button suit). I thought it looked silly but my dad said there is some kind of rule about suit buttoning. Who makes rules about how to button your suit? Just button them all, it looks less strange to girls that way.

What Guys Said 4

• The short answer is yes.

On a two button suit, just button the top. On a three button suit, the general rule of thumb for a conservative look is button the top two and leave the bottom open, but leaving the top undone as well is also acceptable in more casual settings.

• top one or two (depending on if its is a two or three button suit) when standing up, never the bottom one. never any of them while sitting

• Oops. I thought it was always, sometimes and never.

• Never heard of that before... but maybe?