DO your parents tell you that you are unattractive/ugly?

My mom has no problem telling me I look ugly or sh*tty some days.

Does you mom/ parent honestly tell you how you look like?

or are they the type of people to say that you are always beautiful (you might really be beautiful)?

is giving negative feedback to one's appearance an Asian parent thing?

Most Helpful Girl

• The worst my mom does is criticize my choice in clothing, like 'you're really going to wear that?' with a raised eyebrow and smirk. I just ignore her, lol. She doesn't do compliments. My dad doesn't really compliment me, but sometimes he'll mention that it looks like I've lost weight, or say other little things that just make me feel good, like calling me his 'little girl' and whatnot. He's never negative toward my appearance.

I have noticed with my Asian friends that their parents tend to be extremely critical of all aspects of their lives, not just appearances. I'm not trying to generalize, that's just been my personal experience.

What Guys Said 9

• My mom has told me if I was ugly she would have saved up money to get my face fixed.

But I think I'm OK looking. My mom says I'm handsome, I would like to think she means it. My fiance says I beautiful- I don't believe it but she does and that's what matters.

And I think a lot of people's parents tell their kids they are unattractive to be honest. It may be because the parent is jealous.

• if that's you in the pic, you have nothing to be worried about...

• why would a decent, normal, loving parent be jealous of their own children?

their children is a reflection of them and impacts their reputation I would guess they want the best for them...

• I think it's more common with girls. My girl is beautiful, but she dealt with emotional abuse from her mother for years. Her mother is a really nice lady, but is obviously jealous of her daughter- her daughter is more attractive, successful, and together than she was.

• My mom said "You were so cute as a baby, what happened to you?" but she laughed. I hope she was joking. :\ Oh well, not everybody can be handsome or beautiful.

• Yeah, my moms always giving me sh*t. One day it's like you're too fat, then you're too buff, so confusing X_X

• No

• Your moms a bitch. Just being honest lol. That is NOT a good thing to say to your child at all.

• my dad used to tell me that. And that I was a wuss.

• That's a VERY UGLY thing. No parent should ever do something such a thing.

• Be sure to thank her for the good genes.

• No, my parents still have my nude baby pictures hanging on the wall because my penis was a big as an average 13 year old when I was just a toddler.

What Girls Said 12

• I think it could also be a European parent thing then, because my mom is nowhere shy of telling my friend she needs to run more, telling my ex boyfriend his piercings make him look like a girl, or asking me whether I'm going to the coffee house or a stripper joint with my leather jacket. Main idea, she's not always sweet, but she's sincere, and I'd rather have that in my life than a mother who would sugar coat the truth. In the end, she treats my friend like her own daughter, my ex like the piece of dirt he was and me like how she wanted her mother to be, so I can't ask for anything better. She's amazing and I'm guessing so is yours if you take a second look ;)

• yeah...i'd rather have an honest parent who tells the truth rather than letting the child live in delusion. but sometimes, my feelings get extremely hurt.

i think euopeans/ Asians have no problems being blunt and expressing what they truly feel.

• I've had Asian friends who have the same problem, I definitely wouldn't say its an Asian thing though because that's a stereotype. You just need to brush it off and not worry about your mom. She may be jealous or just trying to make you the best and in her eyes that's her way to do it.

• My mom has said things like "You're eyebrows are a weird shape right now" or "That outfit doesn't compliment your body type". But she doesn't say I'm ugly. But she's critical as hell about what I do with my body. It's a good thing I don't care what she thinks or I'd go crazy. My advice is ignore your mom--people who say such negative things to you don't deserve to be heard.

• yeah my mom always tells me how fat I've gotten and that I should cover up my fat and tells me how pretty I use to be and how I could have gone places looking the way I did and how I gave up so many dreams when I became such a cow. oh well. ::shrugs:: not everyone can have a baby and suddenly be a size 0 again like my mom lol.

• Nah. For the most part they say nothing. If I'm dressed up or something they will compliment me. My parents are Asian, too. My ma has NO trouble with giving me negative feedback, but it's something I've grown up with so it doesn't bother me. She's my mom, so it's okay. She doesn't say it with bad intent, and I just make jokes with her about it. Just like, "Tenielle, you've put on weight" or something. I think she is a large part of why I'm not sensitive to the things people criticise me on LOL.

BUT, she never says anything malicious or nasty. It sounds like your mom is deliberately hurtful. That's not cool. Don't listen to her, it seems like she's saying things just to make you feel sh*tty.

• Yeah my mom has done it too. But she is more critical about my body, what I wear, how I do my hair, etc. She will find something to bitch about. She also says it in a backhanded way. Like say "why did you style your hair that way?" "why are you wearing that?" It really sucks, but I just either fire back right at her or ignore it. You have to realize that when she does that, it's her issues coming to the surface, it has NOTHING to do with you. You are beautiful, so she can suck it, lol.

• they never tell me I look ugly. they just imply I could look better when they don't like how I'm looking.

• I grew up with both my mom and sister telling me that I am ugly.

• Seriously , If I'm not eating well then my mom will start saying that I don't look good and that my face is triangle hahha ! But in the normal days or jst without any occasion (eg. I'm ill or not eating well ) then she will never tell me that I'm ugly cz I'm really veery beautiful in fact and I got the " most prettiest girl " in high school .. !

• my parents always say I'm beautiful but my mom will say I don't look as pretty as I normally do.

• After a night out, or craming for exams she'll say something like, "Boy you're looking rough. You need to get more sleep." Or she'll tell me I need to eat better, I look pale, etc.

• No my mom has always told me I look beautiful and it's rare but my dad will sometimes say I look good or whatever