Bras 38C verses 36C, are they interchangeable?

My wife's bra size is 38C. Lately, she was not able to find her size at a store, so a sales girl told my her that she could go a cup size higher by going a chest size lower. So she convinced her in getting 36Ds. I hate them. They cover her chest completely and it seems like she has a pillow under her shirts. Do you think these 2 sizes are interchangeable.?

Most Helpful Girl

• No.

The number indicates how broad the girl is around that part of her ribcage. The letter indicates the size of her puppies...

34D and 36C would *sort of* be compatible, though not perfectly so. For your wife, it should be 38C = 36D, but it sounds like you went to a different store or something.

A sales rep is paid to get you to buy stuff. If something's not moving, she'll sell it to you as a perfect alternative to what you want. That's her job...

Pillow? You guys picked the wrong brand. If she knows the brand and size she likes, she can get them in bulk online. It's easier that way and you don't need to deal with the store clerk's bs.

As an aside, I think it's very sweet of you to accompany your wife when she's shopping for this stuff. It really does make it easier when we know what will make our guy look, lol. I was in the lingerie section of a department store once and saw a woman walking around with her husband trailing around behind her. "This one?" She'd ask, pulling up or pointing at one thing or another. He'd sigh and say, "No." in a bummed out tone. People in the store could hear them since it was quiet except for their dialogue. "This one?" "No..." After about 12 or 15 tries, we hear this loud "YES!" and a funny sound -- the guy pulling all the display into the shopping cart. A few of us laughed into our scarves. I think that was one of their better Valentine's, lol. You should've seen them at the register. Priceless.

• Loved reading your reply. THANKS ! Also - great story. Hahaha. You are awsome.

• Thanks. Hope you two sort this one out!

• You are right there. I also hope we could. But we 2 are poles apart to be together forever.

What Girls Said 7

• Well the sales assistant had your wifes comfort in mind, not sexyness. Many women today wear the wrong size bra and aren't aware of it, and this can cause great discomfort.

I doubt that the sales assistant recommended a different size because there were none of her size in the store, they can easily be ordered in and buying bras is an important thing. If you can't find one in your size, you don't simply find another one in another size, you let the staff know that you need so and so size and have them order it in. If the sales assistant recommended another size, simply to get a sale and didn't have your wifes comfort in mind, then that sales assistant should find a new job. Bra sales assistants are supposed to find the most suitable bra size for the woman.

The two sizes aren't interchangeable. They are two different sizes. What the sales assistant was doing was letting your wife know that she was wearing the wrong size bra and telling her what size she should be wearing.

Let your wife wear the 36Ds, they will provide more support for your wife, and she will be less likely to get back aches, neck strain and even head aches.

If you don't like the bras, then ask your wife to keep one or two of her old bras (or possibly buy some new sexier lingere in her new size) for special occasions.

Lingere sales assistants are specifically trained to know a persons proper bra size and it's their job to find a bra size that is most suitable for the woman, one that will provide the most comfort and support. It is important that your wife wears the right bra size.

• Yes they are. As long as the cup size is the same. The only difference between the two size's is the band size. One is 2 inches bigger then the other. SInce most bra's have 4 different sets of hooks, you can just make it smaller or you can use the last hook. Most bras give at least 2 inches of extra room anyways so it would pretty much be the same. They also sell an extension set for bras. It just attaches to the hooks and you get up to 4 inches of extra room. I have used them before and they work really good. They sell them at any bra store and their very inexpensive.

• Wow. That is true. Any bra is -/+ 2 inches.

• I think you misunderstood me. I am going by the title of the question. He is asking if there is a difference between a 36C and 38C. I don't know what the question asker is trying to ask. It might be a typo or something but the details of the question have nothing to do with the title. If he is asking if a 38C and a 36D are interchangeable then the answer is no. The D cup would be way too big on her.

• Oh God! The last thing I want is for 2 people to get into an argument because of MY question. Please take it easy. :). I just meant to verify the claim that you can go one size down on the band, by going one cup up. The reason I asked was that larger cup covers too much of her and looks "odd".

• I truly don't think so. Unless your body changes drastically by either gaining or losing a lot of weight. Our weight changes and sometimes you could fluctuate from 5 to10 pounds but your bra size stays the same. Other then that I can't see it happening. That's just me. It may be different for other girls.

• They are definitely not the same size. The 38C will be better if her back is slightly bigger around (under her boobs) and her boobs aren't quite as big compared to her body. If she has bigger boobs compared to her back size, then 36D is better. I think the only thing that is the same for those two sizes is the measurement of the girls boobs around their fullest point.

• Brrrrr... This was really technical. Lol ! I got kind of lost. :)

• Ha! Okay. Bra sizes have two parts--the back measurement under the boobs and the cup size. If you measure around the fullest part of the boobs, you can get some number. Say 39 inches. Now, there are lots of ways to get there. You could have a small back measurement and big boobs (that's what I have) OR you could have a big back measurement and not so big boobs. Depending on what you have, you'll want a larger or smaller band size and a correspondingly smaller or larger cup size.

• Thank you. I think I understand now :)

• If she wears a 38C she can wear a 36D or 40B. If you go up in the band, you go a smaller cup and the other way around

• Sense you said you don't like that you can't see her breasts, have her try a 40B it's the same but the band is bigger and the cup is smaller.

• Lol, her nipples might pop out, you don't know until she try's it, otherwise, she can pre order her bras in the right size,mor buy them online :)

• Yeah. That would be awful. Oh - and online for undergarments does not sound like a good idea. If they don't fit, who knows what kind of conditions they have for a return.

• 38C and 36D are interchangeable.

• It depends on the bra, but generally it's better to go with your size. In my case I'm between a 36C and 36D, so depending on the bra I can fit into either. She should wear whatever feels comfortable for her.

What Guys Said 1

• This is why I never buy my girlfriend a bra. My current girlfriend works in upscale lingerie. She told me that every time a woman buy a new bra that she needs to be refitted.