Why do people like to boost up average/ugly people but bring down pretty people?

case in point, I'm friends with these two girls on Facebook.

here's girl 1: link

link

and here's what people comment on her photos:

Love this picture! you look dreamy!

you look like a princess. Love this peekture! :)

hott. you should cut bangs stat.

OMG! ? LOVE IT. SO CUTE I COULD JUST...

I'm getting 'naughty librarian' out of this one... ha ha x) -HOT-

here's girl 2: link

link

and her comments: ugh slut on fb! HAHAHA

can you please get off those whore pills! kay thankss bitch

Youur tooooo ugly for man kinnd

Hi, my names tara & everyone is jealous of me cause I'm so hot. NOT!

i rest my case. also, I know both girls personally and both are very nice, sweet, down to earth girls. the second one is more outgoing though.

Most Helpful Guy

• You're dead right - it's jealousy. People have no problem boosting people who aren't as attractive as they are because they know that, no matter what they say, that person is still "beneath" them in the looks department. But people have a very hard time swallowing their pride and admitting "yes, you're a lot more attractive than I am."

By the way, I love Tara's eyes. If I were a little bit younger, forget dating her - I'd be asking her to marry me! I'd want to look into those eyes first thing, every morning, for the rest of my life.

What Guys Said 7

• Jealousy can be a bitch haha. Seriously though maybe because they girl one surrounds herself with true friends and good people that say positive things while girl two for example may be friends with a bunch of girls that actually hate her.

• Girl two probably gets much attention as is. Its wrong to cut down both pretty and ugly people. Girl two is absolutely gorgeous in my eyes. Id date if given the chance :p

• 'Cause they want to make the ugly person feel better, but when they talk to the attractive girl they want to make themselves feel better.

• No one wants to be left out. "The pretty ones where already in and the ugly weren't" So that's why they boost the ugly up so they would be in and put the pretty down because the were already in.

• Pretty People have the world handed to them on a platter. Who gives a crap when someone occasionally bucks the trend and offers up a helping of humble pie?

• so many girls are unnecessarily cruel to her tho. she's a super sweet girl and did nothing to them, but they attack her. it's like if you were walking down the street and a bunch of strangers started pelting you with rocks for no reason.

• Hurting someone's feelings is cruel no matter what they look like. When people attempt to cut someone down, whether they are ugly or pretty, it's disgusting and not acceptable.

• Next you'll have me crying for the very rich.

• The 2nd photo is better. The girl with the glasses... I font think she would be many peoples cup of tea.

• how many of those comments are girls?

now, how many of those comments are ugly girls

then count how many of those girls are hot girls

see the trend?

What Girls Said 5

• Dang, you have some mean friends. Well.. I assume you are friends with some of these two girls friends. I can't help at all because honestly, I've never seen this happen.

• omffg I would totally agree!

and its always like not just the most unattractive people but the most unattractive people and then worst pic of themself possible and people are like omfgg you're so beautiful and sh*t

• lol they are both equally unattractive.

• wow, you remind me of the girls who comment on tara's photo. but a bunch of the guys are saying she's hot, and I bet she cares more what they think.

• no, tara is my friend. but I'm confused as to how you can think they're both equally unattractive when almost every guy I know who knows tara thinks she's hot.

• Because they are one is naturally unattractive and the other one is fake unattractive (as in too much make up and posing). There is a big difference between hot and pretty or beautiful.

• Yes this happens often.Honestly I hate it.Its because people try to make they feel less self consious.They think that pretty girls don't need much attention because they already have it.Another thing is pretty/beautiful girls always been assumed as arrogant,ego,picky and bad.

• I'm guessing the same people who commented on girl #1's pics aren't the same ones who commented on girl # 2's pics, correct? I think what this actually shows is that the people both these girls accept as "friends" are vastly different. One girl's friends comment and another girl has people she barely knows or doesn't know at all comment. Unless they don't each have private profiles, in which case my point is moot and all I can say is that people get jealous and mean.