Is it normal for my belly button to be sore the first time I change the ring?

I'm getting this medical procedure done and it dose not allow me to have any metal on me so I had to change my belly button ring. I changed it to a metal one to a plastic one. It didn't hurt when I changed it, but its really sore now. I recently had it re-pierced but that was a few weeks ago and it wasn't sore. I clean it often with that h2ocean type of spray. IS it normal to be sore the first time you change it? anything I can do to stop the soreness? thanks!

soreness went away as soon as I changed it back to a metal one thanks everyone.

Most Helpful Girl

• You changed it too quickly after getting it pierced. Also, you can't put plastic in new piercings. In fact, some people can't ever put plastic in them. Your body could be trying to reject the piercing, this can happen more with plastic as opposed to metal (but it can happen with either).

What Guys Said 3

• Consider you have a hole that wants to heal.

Yeah, it should be sore.

• You could have an allergy to plastic. I know I do. Some plastics aren't the best for our skin.

• Is it sore in the SKIN around the piercing, or is it sore in the muscles near it too?

• more like the skin around it

• Some types of plastics are a lot rougher and "grippy-er" in texture than metal. You might be getting sore skin because the rougher surface of the plastic is abrading and/or sticking to the piercing. Did you switch back to the metal one after the procedure?

• no I still have the plastic one in it

What Girls Said 1

• yeah, I wouldn't put plastic it it again. And you're supposed to wait a looooong time before changing the ring .

• i know I don't think imma put a plastic one it it again either. I know I'm super impatient and imma try and wait before changing it again.

• i'd be the same way ahaha.