Do the clothes you wear change how people see you?

I wear a lot of different things, from casual to less casual and I've always noticed that people treat you differently when you wear different clothes. I guess I kind of act differently too depending on what I'm wearing. Like if I'm wearing something more sophisticated I'll look smarter. Do you think that's true?

Most Helpful Girl

• Of course!

If I see a guy with his pants hanging down his ass and a huge shirt with beer or some rapper giving the middle finger on it I'm going to see him as a completely different person than if he wore a nice pair of pants, or jeans and a appropriate shirt.

I have no problem judging people based on how they dress- you spent money on those clothes, you chose to wear them, that's how you want to be seen. It doesn't take much effort to look respectable and decent.

There's a reason you dress up for a date or an interview, because people judge you based on what you wear.

What Girls Said 2

• I think so. if I came into my job interview with a tank top and flip flops on they would think of me a slacker no matter how great my resume was or well spoken I was. Presentation is everything.

• Yeah of course.

What Guys Said 5

• Yes, your image is a projection of who you are. People judge quickly as no one has the time to set with everyone they see and figure out who they are.

So just wear what you think best represents who you are and how you want to be perceived.

• Absolutely.

In essence, clothes are symbols imbued with meaning. And the meaning of a symbol is determined by many things (i.e. culture, the fashion industry, color psychology, etc.).

And yes, sometimes clothes can make a person behave differently too. When I wear a graphic tee along with straight jeans and sneakers, I act more laid back. But when I wear a tailored blazer, tailored dark denim, and polished ankle boots, I act more classy.

"Don't judge a book by its cover."

Yet people still do. Underneath all the layers is a human being. Sometimes people forget that.

• Of course.

• yes like when I'm naked no has clue so they would arrest me if they get freaked out and can't put a label on me. :0

• To a certain extent I'm sure they do