What are your favorite shoes to wear for your active hobbies?

To the active lifestyle members of GAG!

Whether it's running, working out in a gym, playing some BBall, or whatever. If you take your hobby seriously you probably have gone through quite a few different pairs of cross trainers/running shoes/tennis shoes/whatever before you found a pair that worked for you the best. Which ones do you prefer?

I used Nike Air Monarchs, then Asics Gel Express 3 Crosstrainers. I then switched to Reebok Evaluate trainers, and I'm now using Nike Free TR2s.

I believe that the Asics were the best shoe in general for active hobbies/lifestyle out of the ones I've tried, but the TR2s I currently own are the best for me particularly because they help to correct my poor balance and coordination while exercising. To someone who did not have my issues, however, I would say go with the Asics.

What is your activity of choice and what is your preference of active footwear?

Most Helpful Guy

• Football (or soccer as it is known otherwise) in which case I wear my boots- I have my much loved Pantofola D'Oro Desiderio firm ground moulded stud boots, a newly purchased pair of Adidas Copa Mundial boots which need no breaking in (they can be worn right out of the box and are fantastic), another pair of Adidas Adipure IV soft ground boots with removable traxion studs for when the grounds are damp/wet, a pair of Adidas Adizero Prime firm ground boots for when I'm feeling the pitch is dry and for when I need an extra boost of speed (as they are extremely light boots made of synthetic materials and have no bulky sock liner or anything) and am awaiting a new pair of Adidas Adipower Predators in their firm ground configuration (they have bladed studs) to come in that I ordered from England. I am a purist in many ways but won't eschew new technologies provided they aren't too gaudy/gimmicky- hence why I hate Nike boots with a passion. All in all I try to ensure I have the right boots for the job contingent on the conditions. I am also very finicky and will sit and clean/polish my boots with leather-food, use a toothbrush to remove mud and then a toothpick to remove mud from the soleplate/studs.

Additionally I was cleaning and polishing a pair of Puma Cup 78 boots my dad had-I'm torn about wearing those as they are older than me and it'd be a shame to damage them/subject them to game conditions. I have a proverbial bag full of boots and might end up getting the Puma V1.11 boots also as they seem to be getting rave reviews.

I have been through countless pairs of boots and brands of which I have been pleased all in all with- Lotto have been very good to me and I recall a blue pair I had years ago that were great; then I got the Adidas Predator Precision which were fantastic boots-the subsequent Predator Mania I had in silver but they were bulky and cut up my feet underneath-I had to get my great-uncle who is a cobbler to fit in a special insert and they did the trick as in my first game with them I scored a smashing volley.

Subsequently I got a white boot from a more obscure Italian brand called Kronos-they were superb-light, comfortable and with those I could knuckle the ball and impart vicious swerve/dip. My shooting was so vicious that ultimately I tore the underside of one boot right off as I cannoned a shot. I then procured a pair of Nomis Spark firm ground boots in blue and these were great also-light kangaroo leather and they lasted me until just last month; I was misty-eyed when the upper came unstuck from the soleplate but c'est la vie. I gave them a viking funeral-and the aforementioned boots have now taken their place.

Additionally, should I be going for a jog or anything like that I find my Adidas Jerez trainers are quite good but I may need something more in terms of arch support and may consider getting a good cross-trainer so I get the right support during jogs/hitting the treadmill etc. That aside I may get a good tennis shoe too

What Girls Said 11

• water proof (not quite) hiking boots or my lowish, -20degree proof winter boots. Depending on the time of year. Both are super comfortable and I love them. My ankles like attempting to twist on me, so the extra height helps out.

I like pretty much anything outside, weather really doesn't bother me.

I always feel a bit more BA wearing my boots instead of tennis shoes.

• I wear New Balance...they have one that's especially good for pronators...like them but have to change them frequently...

• I wear chucks for the gym but I would love a great pair of boots that I can do anything in - not high heel boots but some nice knee highs are great.

• Puma ...I've found that they have decent ach support as I get shin splints and the tread lasts longer than other shoe brands I have used...I also like Mizuno, but Puma is still better in my eyes

• I love ma Chuck Taylors and ma Nikes :D

• link

link

link

sexy shoes. :)

• the top and middle ones look more like for show than for working out or something in.

• they don't seem to offer the features needed for doing high intensity activity in. the bottom ones maybe but they look more like walking shoes than running shoes or cross trainers.

• I really like K swiss they seem to feel the best and support the high arch I have. For active I wear Tubes 100 Backatcha K swiss for everyday I like the classic K swiss. My activity choice is running.

• Haven't had any experience with K-Swiss, though I've heard good things about them.

• MY ASICS!

link :D

• Jordans <3

• im still looking for a good brand...ive tried a bunch and they all seem to hurt my feet somehow

• Nike Shox...

They feel horrible at first because they really hug your feet, but once you break them in a little it feels like you're walking on a cloud.

What Guys Said 7

• As a former Cross Country and Track runner, I'm very picky about what shoes to wear. I have to be.

When I first started out, I was totally ignorant and ran with shoes designed for everyday walking. The shoe fell apart and I was left with blisters and nasty foot stuff. My teammates recommended ASICS and so I went to a running specialty store called TranSports to get a pair (this was back in 2004 so I forgot which ASICS I got). Man! What an upgrade. But... I still had some issues. So it wasn't until I saw a sports medicine doctor (who happened to be a marathon runner, just my luck!) that I found out that I was a pronator (some technical jargon for excessive foot roll). I also found out that my right foot is 3 mm longer than my left foot and my left foot has a slightly high arch whereas my right foot is more on the neutral side. Oh well, my teammates and I still made it to the State Championships. =P

Those were the good o' days. I've long since improved my technique and such and I wear the ASICS GT -2160.

• Not too long ago, the Vibram Five Fingers "shoe" were all the rage. It looked ridiculous and unorthodox to me, but my curiosity got the best of me and I tried it out thinking it would help me shave of some time for my next PR. Big mistake. I know I know, I had to ease into it, which I did. But eventually, I started experiencing sharp pains in my arches. Duh! I should've known better as those novel "shoes" doesn't provide any arch support at all. =/

• Don't know much about Mizuno or Brooks. Saucony seems to be really good stuff based on what I've read, and it's not like other brands that focus on fashion either. They're specifically athletic gear. New Balance can be iffy depending on the specific model.

• Oh okay, I see.

Thank you for your insights, WeaponZero! =)

• New Balance for running.

Old pair: link

New Pair: link ---These might be causing my current knee problem :S.

• For badminton - Babolat Shadow link

For hiking in winter - Sorel Conquest (awesome boots for cold weather) link

• I got some adidas climacool 360 basketball shoes which I practice bball in. when its more important (like intramural games) I wear nike hyperfuse lows. I usually lift weights after I get off the court so I lift in my bball shoes. and I don't know if you consider drumming 'active' but I drum in hi top chucks

• High top nike hyperfuses and hyperdunks for bball = :)

• Normal pair of airwalk trainers, same as I wear everyday.

• cross training or running shoes with good arch support. I think I'd prefer cross training shoes as I've moved from solely running to a variety of other things.

I've tried Asics, Nike, Reebok, Addidas, I think I prefer NIke or Asics.