How do you shave down there so it doesn't hurt?

When I try to shave my bikini area it always gets razor burn and looks really kind of gross. How do people shave down there? I use shaving cream and everything, I don't get it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well here is my opinion.

Waxing is flat out painful. That's one of the most sensitive places. It hurts worse down there.

The thing is the the hair is thicker and more coarse than hair anywhere else. Trim it first if its long. Take a hot bath for like 10 minutes, then use hair conditioner instead of shave gel. It works better because it makes hair softer. Take your time because nicks and cuts can cause infections and those suuuccckkk. Shave with hair growth in short motions. Clean out the razor like every few strokes. Make sure you use a NEW razor because the thick coarseness of the hair can dull a blade after just one shave. Afterwards apply lotion that has vitamin E in it and wear breathable fabric to avoid irritation.

Now, laser removal is super expensive and can be embarrassing.

I personally like sugaring. It is less painful than waxing and a lot cheaper. You can even make the stuff for it at home. Its also all natural, sugar, lemon juice, and water. No chemicals like waxing. For sugaring apply it against hair growth and remove quickly like waxing in the direction of hair growth instead of against it. Its less painful because it only sticks to the hair, not your skin, and removing with tthe direction of hair causes less irritation. Apply lotion after this as well.

If you use hair removal creams make sure you make sure it is safe for that area, but it should still only be used on the outer areas.

Hope this helped.:)

What Guys Said 3

• You could try waxing, but that hurts like hell!

As for the razon burn there really isn't much you can do I don't think. Try using more shaving cream and reaply if you need to so that it stays well lubricated while shaving. Also you might try applying a little lotion when you get finished that might help some.

I have shaved myself a few times for my lady and when the hair starts to grows back it is going to hurt a little there is just no way that I know the get around it other than to just shave it every day or two.

• I would re ask this question in sexuality. My girlfriend uses cream rinse instead of shaving cream. Then she uses Lubriderm lotion. I know that in the drugstores they have razors especially for that area.

At this point I guess that this will not help but use an electric trimmer set on low. Then shave the rest. You can also "search" shaving & see the other Q & A's.

You can find the search right above your profile name.

• when I shave down there, I have been told by several woman friends that when I shave I need to use either a Schick Intuition razor or Venus Breeze razor (both women's razors) I do not use shave cream because both those razors lather themselves in the shower. I follow up after shower by slathering Avon's after shave body lotion on down there. I think it is in a blue bottle. Now I am so smooth down there, no bumps, etc. It takes awhile for your skin to get used to being shaved down there, I shave like every other day.

What Girls Said 3

• I have found That to use a new razor each time and shaving cream or a lot of soap helps. I also have noticed if you let it grow a little bit before you shave that helps too. ( I hate letting it grow but! it hurts to shave so sometimes its worth it and it doesn't have to grow a lot either) and then I put neosporine on afterwards and that seems to help razor burn or lotion. its kinda hard to prevent it. but yup that's what I do. Hope that helps.

• Honestly? It's never going to look nice unless you wax. Pain and money for beauty... Ouch.

• Some girls are just more sensitive down there but if you are shaving in the shower make sure you give the hair time to get moist and warm. If not in the shower use a warm washcloth and leave it on the area for a few minutes. The warmth and wetness works to soften the hair. Never shave first thing in the morning as the body tends to be a little swollen from having been in the same position all night. While shaving, shave with the hair rather than opposite it. This can help to decrease irritation thought it may take longer to get a smoother shave. To help with the razor burn there is over the counter products like bikini zone or you could make your own. In a pinch you can crush five uncoated aspirin and mix it with witchhazel, enough to make it paste like, then spread it on the razor burn. It will sting at first but will help take down the redness and swelling. Make sure you only use this externally. Hope this helps.