Physical attraction in a relationship?

How important is it to you? Like what if there's a girl (or guy) who you have the most incredible mental/emotional connection with--like you can stay up for hours just talking about anything and everything...but you don't find them super attractive? Do you think those (physical) feelings can develop? And would you sacrifice a good physical relationship with okay emotional/mental connection for someone you have an amazing emotional and mental connection with and only okay physical aspect?

Most Helpful Girl

• i would not date a man I wasn't attracted to. I don't know any man who would settle for a woman he wasn't attracted to unless he literally had 0 other options so I don't see why I should. its like 1 partner is benefitting and the other is just like "meh I guess I'll take it". and why is it that girls are expected to forgo physical attraction when most men wouldn't dream of it? if I can't find a physical AND mental connection in a partner then I will just be single until I do find it lol because to me someone you have only emotional feelings for is just a friend. I mean seriously, what happens if the guy your dating but don't really find attractive tries to kiss/sex u? your really gonna lay there and pretend he's someone else and grin and bear it? ew I can't do that

What Guys Said 1

• I don't think I could possibly stay up talking for hours to anyone. lol

Anyway, I have to be very attracted to a person, but that doesn't mean you have to be a model or anything. I find plenty of girls to be attractive or very attractive but some other guys might not see it that way. I think being compatible is good as well, but I must first be physically attracted to them to see them as anything more than just a friend.

What Girls Said 3

• Looks attract, personality keeps you. Both are important in a relationship. I don't think it's fair to date someone you don't find physically attractive because it's like lying to yourself and to them. But I don't think that really ever happens since if you love someone for their personality they will physically look better. You know how someone can seem eh looking and when you get to know their personality they are like the most physically attractive person you know? I think that's what happens a lot of times. You also can't have a relationship with someone who you don't find mentally and emotionally stimulating. It will get boring and annoying and you won't enjoy being with the person, what's the fun in that? So yes both are important and I would say most people in love see both in their partner. :)

• Well I mean you have to find your partner physically attractive to be able to have sex with them so in terms of that I think it is important. BUT I don't think you have to be instantly completely physically attracted in order for it to turn into a relationship. I think those feelings can develop. When I first met my boyfriend, he didn't repulse me or anything lol but he definitely wasn't really someone I would take a second glance at...when we started hanging out and I started seeing his personality and how awesome he is, he started looking really cute and sexy to me! I don't know why it works like that ha ha but I think for a lot of girls that's how it is? And I don't know how to answer your last question. The way I see it is I either find someone attractive or not, if I didn't find them attractive at all then I would like to have a friendship with them but nothing sexual and if I did find them attractive then of course a relationship would be good

• for me, the emotional and mental connection affects how I view him physically. an awesome mental connection will make him hotter in my eyes. they're intertwined, not separate entities, imo.

• I am the exact same way. I can see a guy and think he's attractive, and then he'll do something that I don't appreciate - something that displays a personality trait that I don't like, and all of a sudden he's not attractive to me anymore. It works the other way around, too. I've also seen guys and find them attractive, and then I see them smoking, and I'm suddenly extremely turned off.

• exactly. :)