Why is all that hate about American Apparel ?

Recently, I read an article about AA and it was really nasty. People commented their ads and most of the words were insulting. I don't understand it. I really like this brand and their style, ads and stuff.

Ho do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• My impression was that some people hated them because they found the ads overly sexual, and the president of the company has some rather liberal views about having sex with his employees, at work.

On the other hand, they actually make clothes in the u.s. and pay decently.

Oh, they also got crapped on for using illegal workers, but of course, unlike most companies, they actually paid them well and tried to help them get legal status.

Their president is an unusual guy.

What Guys Said 4

• Most of their clothes, jeans especially, are unisex. In other words, no breathing room for the boys. I might get one or 2 things from there, but the majority is overpriced. It's kind of just mass marketing towards hipster wannabes.

• I don't like Hollister, American Eagle, or Ambercrombie and Fitch. That's usually what preppy, stuck up, douchey kids wear or am I just being stereotypical?

• It's metrosexual clothes, that is way to expensive. Only materialsitc spoiled people, or gay guys wear that garbage. People who have nothing better to do than waste their money on expensive useless clothes.

• They have pretty great sweaters, pullovers, sweatshirts, leggings and stuff like that

• There mens clothes are so gay. And there womens clothes are to how should I say this to high maintence. It reminds me of stuff you would see in the fashion runways. The whole fashion industry is just a way to sucker people into paying money for clothes so they feel important. Style and fashion is so overrated.

• Everyone has their own opinions and I think their clothes are alright not everything is my style but I will say their ads are pretty provocative

• I agree with you ! I like most of their stuff and their ads... are just fantastic. I can't deny they have some really high fashion stuff.

What Girls Said 2

• because known for being pretty pretentious

along with urban outfitters.

• What do you mean with "pretentious" ?

• Thanks for the exhaustive answer ;)

• You sumed it up perfectly.

• I hate their style. I would never buy it