Does the amount of money you spend on clothes, match your personality?

Stereo-typically, I will look at a woman who is dressed to the nines and think, "uh-oh, looks like she could be high-maintenance". Whether she is or not, I don't know (and of course I'd find out through talking to her etc..).

A guy dressed in sweats and a t-shirt could mean he's not that rich but it could also mean that he just got back from the gym, etc..

So, that raises the question: Does the amount of money you spend on your clothes, match your personality or is it just a silly stereotype?

Most Helpful Girl

• No, the amount of money you spend on clothes is not necessarily indicated. For the examples you provided:

The guy could be $200 sweats nowadays, so it's not necessarily an indication of his social status.

Next, girls always like to look pretty, so the fact that a gal looks well put together isn't an indication that she's high maintenance, only that she likes to look good. It doesn't necessarily take a lot of money to pull together a decent wardrobe.

The TIME spent selecting the clothing can indicate how high/low maintenance a person is. The price of a couple of items (e.g., sun glasses, a watch) would also be indicative of his/her personality.

What Girls Said 7

• TO a certain extent I guess you could say that. I do like to dress nicely and "expensively", but I wouldn't call myself high maintenance at all

• I like wearing different clothes, depends on the day and what I'm doing. but I usually dress to the nines but that's cause I hate being sloppy in terms how I dress. I guess it sort of tells you about their personality but again I have gone camping and not looked to the 'nine's, I think it depends on the person and how they feel that day as well

• Kinda. Certian types of people in society want to wear certian clothes to fit in with that kind of society structure. A person who wants to be taken seriously, will dress professional - Businessy. A rebel who likes rock and doesn't like structure will dress like a rebel. But, sometimes people just dress how they want people tothink of them. Doesn't mean they are actually like that.

• +How you gonna post an anonymous question and not allow anonymous answers! Not nice :P

• All of my questions I post are anonymous with no anonymous answers. That's just how I roll...

• Oh. That's interesting :P Hope you figured out your answer!

• I'm super low maintenance and I dress like a train wreck most of the time lol not trashy or revealing but just in shabby clothes like sweats and stuff. I wish I cared more about the way I dress but I just DON'T :I I do like to dress up sometimes and I'm trying to get better and put more effort into my look because people (especially my mom haha) don't take to kindly to me looking like a bum. I think the way you dress might say something about your maintenance level but it's best not to judge! man, at first glance some people would think I'm homeless (lol yeah, it has been that bad at times) but that's not the case! I have a nice home, car, etc.

• 80% of ALL my clothes come from clearance stores or thrift stores, so I geuss so materialistic is REALLY not me

• It would if I had the money, at the moment I dress well for fairly cheap but if I had the money I would be dressed to the nines ever second :P

• haha yes it does. I have a hard time wearing anything that isn't a cut-up black thrift store tee

What Guys Said 0