Why would or wouldn't you get a tattoo?

I'm thinking about getting a tattoo on the left side of my right foot, something nice. But I'm thinking about pro's and cons.

So my question: why would or wouldn't you get a tattoo?

Most Helpful Guy

• I myself am heavily tattooed. Here is my response to some common arguments.

- "You'll hate it in 20 years."

What? You're incapable of making a lasting decision? Same thing about getting a wife, dumbass. YOU MAY HATE HER IN TWENTY YEARS. By that rhetoric, nobody should get a wife, start a career, or move houses.

- "It'll look ugly when you're old."

YOU'LL look ugly when you're old, regardless of a tattoo. Unless you're telling me non-tattooed people somehow stay good looking forever.

- "It's permanent."

No sh*t. That's the point, smart one. It's a symbol of you being able to think things through. Unless you're telling me you're incapable of that. If you regret it later, deal with it. You made the decision.

- "It'll cost you your job."

Your dumbassery will cost you your job. Just how many places of the body are exposed from clothing? Your clothing covers most of your body. Also, you can simply by specialized makeup to cover tattoos for work. If you have arm work, just use sleeves. It's not that hard to cover a tattoo, genius.

Man I hate dumbasses.

What Guys Said 7

• i have a tattoo on my right rib cage...it basically takes up the whole thing and it says

"Worlds Greatest" in script with the "o" drawn out to be the world...

underneath the script I have my grandmothers birth/death dates (hense she was the worlds greated grandmother in my eyes)

why would I get a tattoo? someone of great importance has left my life and I want them to be apart of me, more than just a memory...

why wouldn't I get a tattoo? I was bored, thought it was cool, had no meaning behind it...

just remember its YOUR body and YOUR decision, just make sure you aren't going to regret it years down the road...make sure its memorable.

• I'll take the why not too side, just because I am not a fan of tattoos.

It will be pretty much permanent. It may look cool now but what about in 10 years?, your skin will change, you might have a family. It will make people view you differently, I know tattoos are much more common now, but I know when I see a person with a tattoo I automatically make an assumption about them. You may not like it later on and then you are stuck with it. Companies hiring for jobs would rather not see a tattoo. It may be a turn off to some guys. I would really think about why you are doing it. Are you getting one just because it looks cool, or are you honoring some family member or friend?

• If you're going to have a tattoo, get it somewhere you can cover it up- especially for work.

I got my first tattoo when I was like 16, and it's barbed wire around my wrist and it looks so stupid. So, if you get a tattoo, make sure it's something you REALLY like.

• I'd like one on my neck (which I can cover because I have long hair) and on the left side of my right foot, so if I wear shoes or socks it's covered :)

Why did you get the barbed wire?

• Hmm, as long as you can cover it up, I think that would be OK. I have issues covering mine for work so I have to weird long sleeves or a watch all the time. I have no idea why I got barbed wire, I wanted to look cool I guess.

• I've kind of been wrestling with the idea of getting or not getting a tattoo myself. Usually, when I think of a design I like, I hold onto it for a few weeks or months. Then, I'll look at it again and ask myself, "Would I really want a tattoo of that?" Usually my answer is no, but if I found something that I liked enough or that represented something special to me, I might get one.

• I'm having an idea in mind for...about a year now, lol, I'm still too much of a wuss to get it :')

• the joy of living? that sounds pretty neat. lol yeah just avoid using sandals. maybe use slip on shoes and pants or something :/ or wear longer dresses

• Nah, I love wearing sandals and pumps and open shoes, so I'll just wait till I move out :)

just 2 more years to go :') haha, if I still want it then, I'm sure I won't get tired of it

• Don't do it.

You'll hate it in 20yrs

If easily visible, can cost you a job

trashy

wasted money

I don't know anyone in their 40's that still likes theirs.

• My skin is highly sensitive to the touch. I don't know if I can deal with it.

Plus my money can be spent in better ways.

• I wouldn't get one, it won't be that visible.

What Girls Said 8

• im getting a tattoo soon. its going to represent the struggles I had with my sister over the past 18 years (she was abusive in everyway possible). I'm getting a bengal tiger face that looks like its coming out of my body. its going to reminde me every time I see it that I was strong enough to push through the things my sister did to me, that I am a strong woman who can handle anything, and I don't care what others think. ill be proud to show off my tattoo and ill be more than happy to tell the story of my tiger tattoo.

get tattoos that have a special meaning to you, not some design that you might hate in a couple of days. if you get a tattoo make sure its worth it and you'll smile every time you look at it

• A couple years ago, my sister and I decided that when she turned 18, we'd each get a tattoo of the Greek word for "sister." My sister thought they should look exactly the same and be in the exact same place, but we could never agree. I think customizing it and putting it on our own special places would be more special - we can keep them individualized but still have the basic idea for both of us.

All that being said, I've since reconsidered getting that tattoo. At least for a while. There are other tattoos I'd rather get anyway, but I might not ever get any. I have the pain tolerance and the ideas and desire for the designs I picked years ago, but I might not have the guts to actually get it done.

• Reasons not to: if you change your mind, tattoos are a bad idea. They are permanent. If you are getting something just cos you think it looks pretty or whatever, it's probably not a good idea.

Reasons to: if you get something that symbolises/represents something important to you, it's something you'll appreciate (ugh, but not a bfs name or something). If you like art, its great. Etc

Personally, I love tattoos. I have a few. I regret none, and would be open to getting more. I got things that mean something to me, and I really don't care whether other people like them or not.

• What tattoos do you have?

• I am still waiting to see the hip/stomach one. God damn it.

• If I ever got a tattoo I would want a solid star on the inside of my wrist. My mom said that's a bad idea. If I can't get it where I want it I don't want one at all.

• I fear of needles and if I don't like that tat later then tattoo removal becomes another expense and it is super painful!

• i wouldn't do it, because I would probably regret that after some time, and I can't imagin myself with 60 or 70 years old showing my 'awesome' tattoo to my grandchildren...

• For ME - I wouldn't just because it's too permanent for me. I like my skin blank.

Also, my mother is crazy and will beat me. Yes, I love her to pieces. =)

• My parents would kick me out if I had a tattoo, lol. So it's a good thing I think, it makes me wait till I'm moved out and if I still like the idea, then I'll get it :) It's in my head for a year now and I'm still crazy about it.

• Yea, in your case definitely wait. You don't want to be homeless because you got a tat. Also, if you still like it when you move out. Go get it. =)

• I got a tattoo after my Grandfather passed away. It is on my right shoulder with the date he passed away. It's on the right side because guardian angels are always on your right shoulder and to me he is my guardian angel. The bad thing is that tattoos are expensive and it depends on the pain tolerance, but for me it hurt a lot (my pain tolerance is really low). Make sure it's not a dumb tattoo like a hairy ball sack or something. I am planning to get another one on my ribs that says: live like there's no tomorrow. Good luck! :)