Are men who "dress up" more often than usual, considered gay?

I was at work today. A woman with her boyfriend walked in. I don't want to say she was beautiful because I like to save that for the girl I marry but she was def. really up there on the scale. She was in this really cute outfit and I couldn't stop looking. She couldn't tell I was because she never even really looked directly at me (why, I don't know, anyone explain that to me?). Anyway, her boyfriend walked in with her and was wearing gym shorts with his boxer sticking out and a sweatshirt with a hat, put on backwards. I found this disrespectful to her because she went all out for him, the least he could do was put a pair of slacks on or whatever. I would have said something, if I didn't feel like I'd get beat up for it but..I thought I'd ask the people of GAG what they think of men who put effort into how they appear?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't really see the relevance here. His manner of dress clearly offended YOU, but maybe it doesn't bother her. Maybe they're the kind of couple who like to be themselves and take each other as they are. Maybe she always dresses like that, so it's not like she went out of her way to look nice specifically for him. Maybe they'd been doing completely different things during the day where each of their clothing choices were appropriate, and then met up afterward, hence her looking 'dressed up' and him looking 'like a slob' or whatever. I don't think it's as big of a deal as you're making it, lol.

And no, I wouldn't assume a guy is gay just because he likes to dress up more. I can look nice, and dress up well, but generally I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl, or kind of a girlie casual. I can look nice that way and that's how I feel comfortable. I don't want to dress up all the time, and I don't think that's 'slobbing it up' or not dressing nice 'for my man' or whatever. Don't get me wrong, I DO enjoy looking nice for my guy, but it should be a special thing, not something required of me 24/7. I would feel uncomfortable with a guy who felt the need to get all gussied up every day. Not because I think he's gay, because I don't. But because we're likely to be very different people in personality and taste, and I'd feel like he looks down on me for dressing more casual, and I'd feel pressure to put in way more effort to match him constantly. He may not care at all, and that's cool. But I'd feel more comfortable with a guy who was a little more casual in how he dresses, I'd feel more at ease. I prefer to dress for the occasion, like I'm not going to get dressed up just to go to the grocery store or whatever.

• No, you wouldn't need to get dressed up, however, you shouldn't be going grocery shopping in sweats. I mean, you never know, right?

• My grocery store is 2 minutes from me. I think it just depends on distance.

• I live outside of town, so it does depend. But I don't think this whole this is so cut and dry as you make it sound in your question lol, there are a lot of variables to consider. =]

What Girls Said 2

• I don't think men who dress up look gay, but I think guys who dress down (like the guy you described) are more attractive than guys who dress up.

Also, the reason she didn't look at you is because she has a boyfriend. When I'm out with my boyfriend I don't look at any other guys. It's a respect thing.

• dressing up has nothing to do with being gay

What Guys Said 6

• Only Italian men are allowed to dress up as women do. Why, I don't know.

• I dress pretty well at work, better then required for business casual. People don't think that I'm gay. I may be offsetting my shoe collecting with my boxing hobby, scotch drinking and wife and three kids.

• It depends on where you live. If you live in the country or something then they probably think that anyone who doesn't take care of himself is gay but if you live in the city people have higher standards and more classier.

• I'm in the suburb of a large city

• yeah, well I was just making a generalization. People who have good taste in fashion are a minority any ways. Its not that they think its gay, its that they just don't have good taste or class if you will

• No, I've seen a lot of guys dressed up and I don't ever think that they're gay.

• I always dress up where ever I go, looking preppy and HEY! I get compliments like cute and handsome =D

• I dress up all the time and I don't think its gay