Hair dye help!?!? ways to make it less dark?

is their a way to make store bought hair dye less potent so the result doesn't turn out as dark as the box shows? like could I water it down or not add as much of one ingredient?

Most Helpful Girl

• I always buy a few shades darker than what I actually want.. in a few washes it'll fade close to the color I wanted. This is especially true for auburn colors. I always dye my hair auburn.. trust me, just let it fade. Otherwise you risk just having oddly color orange-red hair.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 6

• What brand of hair color is it? And what color?

• its l'oreal and its rich auburn

• When you put the color on make sure you get all of your hair. It usually says to leave it on about 25-30 minutes. Leave it on about 15 or 20. It might not work though. That's a pretty dark color. When you use nice n' easy and you leave it on for a shorter time period it's lighter. I've died someones hair that color though and it didn't turn out as dark. Good luck.

• return it and buy a color you actually like?

• i like the color and there isn't a lighter shade of it

• wash your hair 10 minutes earlier than suggested

• If you coat your hair with conditioner it'll be less potent

• It naturally gets lighter in the summer

• dont leave it on as long?...it's the length of time you leave it on that makes it darker if you rinse it out sooner it won't soak up so much color but don't shorten it too much or you won't keep the color for as long either...fine line here