Guys and girls with hair past their shoulders, what are some tips for getting it past collar bone length

Mine keeps breaking at the collar bone and barely touches my shoulders unless flat ironned..I want to grow out my natural curls so my hair will stay down without me having to flat iron..it has mostly thick small curls and some sections with tighter curls and finner\thinner hair and another section with thin wavy\looser curls

Its grown a lot since the beginning of the year but it'd be longer if I hadn't cut split ends from too much flat ironning.

My friend's hair is longer than mine and I think she has small curls like mine but she's always wearing it straighten never natural unless its in braids but you still wouldn't be able to tell.I'm guessing its heat damaged like mine but its still longer,its like armpit length..she told me if I want mine to grow I should flat iron every 2 weeks like her..I used to and it didn't grow b\c the ends had to be cut every time.but now that I get it flat ironned every 3 to 4 weeks its grown and I have less split ends!

Most Helpful Girl

• stop using heat

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 6

• Maybe it's different for hair (and I can't say I know too much since I don't use heat on my hair often), but in my opinion, your hair's trying so hard to deal with the heat treatments that it hasn't had the time for growing. I

f you're on YouTube, there's this person called Glozell who hasn't cut her hair in 10 years, and it's really short (she even uses wigs) and I don't know why her hair's like that, but it could be the same for you. Hair typically grows around 1/2 to an inch a month. So if yours doesn't do that naturally (without all the trimming), you just need to stop trimming it so often. I got this off a site, but here's the section for African American hair "If your hair is already damaged, start off trimming between 3/4 inch and 1 inch every eight weeks and gradually work your way down to only trimming 1/2 inch when you've cut off most of the damaged area. Healthy African American hair can be trimmed a mere 1/4 inch every eight weeks."

To get specific, professional advice, I'd walk into a hair salon or something and ask an African American person for advice (Not trying to be racist- My friend is Asian and she always makes sure her hair is cut by an Asian person because Asian hair needs to be cut a little different than whites) because besides the trimming, if your hair really is growing at a normal rate, there's nothing you can do.

• My friend is black too

• Some people's hair grows faster than others. Does she trim it as much?

• Do you use any sort of hair treatment solutions? It helps a lot with the heat damage. I use a flat-iron spray to protect my hair from the heat because I straighten my hair everyday; it's made a huge difference in making sure I don't get split ends as bad, which helps keep your hair from breaking off.

And another little tip I've heard is to not brush your hair right after you shower, because it breaks easier when it's wet. Let it air-dry first.

Dunno if any of that helps :)

• you probably need a lot more moisture especially at your ends. that's the oldest part of your hair and when it gets to your shoulders it starts rubbing on the fabric of your clothes, drying it out and causing tension. Also keeping heat off of it as much as you can helps too. direct heat like flat irons/blow dryers may be too harsh, maybe you should do rollersets and dry under a hooded dryer

• the ends of your hair need extra moisture since its the oldest part of your hair, and probably the dryest. so give it extra tlc when it comes to products. another thing to do is try to keep your hair off your shoulders as much as possible.

the ends of your hair is constantly rubbing against the fabric of your clothes and its helping to break it off. if you do wear silk/satin material then that's different but be careful with cotton, wool or anything else that will suck up moisture

• I suggest keeping heat out as much as possible. Try to wear your hear up as much as you can. I think the reason african American hair is diffcult to grow past shoulder length is because when the hair rubs on our clothes on our shoulders and it breaks and gets damaged.

Also cut off split ends when you start to see them appear. I know it sounds dumb to cut your hair if you want it to grow, but its better to have healthy hair that is thick, even though its shorter, than to have long hair that's damaged and consist of 20 strands.The damaged ends will continue to go up the hair shaft and eventually damage ALL of you hair. By not getting your ends clipped regularly, you prolonging the enevitable- a major hair cut!

Btw flat ironing your hair every 3 to 4 weeks is amazing! I flat iron mine almost everyday, especially since I just got it cut! :/ It's still healthy though! :)

• Wear it up so it doesn't rub against clothes