How can I improve my fashion sense?

I know that while I'm not the best-looking guy around, I know I'm not too bad-looking either. However, I feel that I'm not dressed to impress. My typical outfit consists of a loose-fitting logo t-shirt (since I'm not in great shape,) a pair of jeans, and some casual sneakers. In the colder months, I will usually wear hoodies or cotton sweaters to help keep me warm. In the warmer months, I will often wear Hawaiian shirts or bowling shirts instead of t-shirts, a pair of khaki cargo shorts, and flip-flops. At parties and clubs, I will usually wear a button-down shirt, some jeans, and a nicer pair of sneakers or flip-flops. Can anyone (preferably women) give me some suggestions on how to dress in a way that will attract more women?

Most Helpful Girl

• No need to improve your fashion sense.

Just define your style. [:

Your style should be able to say something about you. Whether you're a chill-type of guy, business-y type, etc..

.

I do have to ask you for an example of the type of Hawaiian shirts you were, are they like Tommy Bahamas? link

And bowling shirts?

I think olylowlife has a great idea too. Don't need to go Downtown, however. You could just stroll through a mall.

Perhaps scroll through Lookbook and determine what you like. link

Since you say you're not in the best shape, I think you should invest into a good pair of DARK jeans. Probably bootcut or straight leg. They don't need to be expensive $100 jeans. Just something that's made well, doesn't look cheap.

Please no baggy jeans. They never look good. Just don't go there, okay? Hah. :]

I place I personally love is Gilt and Hautelook.. Great designer products that are up to 80% off. Only downfall is if you'll not into buying online. They both have excellent return policies however. [: And sizing charts for all of the products sold. link link

All in all, I think the best thing you can wear is a smile and confidence, and this is coming from a fashion major. [:

Best of luck with your style choices.<3

Hope I helped in some way. :]

What Girls Said 16

• If you wear what you wear now because you like how they look- don't change. But if you like them because they're comfy and you never really wanted to bother up till now, then go with what everyone's saying. Depending on what you mainly go for in the clothes section, you could go several routes. If you focus on comfort, stick with it. Girl analogy- but I ain't going to wear 6 inch stilettos, even if they make me look hot. Can't be confident if I'm in pain.

When you're wandering outside of your normal style range, go for things you absolutely know you will wear everyday. You might think you look pretty darn cute when you're alone in the dressing room, but when you're in public with something new, your self awareness will kill you. So be careful with what you buy- don't want to end up with a ton of clothes you can't return or wear, do you?

As I was growing out of my awkward stage, I started asking my fashion inclined older sister to take me shopping, and she was a huge help because she would pull out 5 or 6 shirts that I never thought I would wear, but would work well with my body shape and my skin tone (because we're pretty similar in those areas). So If you can, maybe ask a friend or two to take you shopping. One who dresses well (that you can see yourself dressing as) and one that knows how to work around your body shape.

For t-shirts, I love some of the stuff on this online site called woot shirts (google them). The stuff they sell there is pretty much a competition of hundreds of artists based on a theme. So a lot of the time, the winners are pretty, smart and/or cute.

Jeans, Please, Please, tell me your jeans at least go over the tops of your shoes. It'd be nice if they weren't bleached white either. You don't have to dish out $100 bucks for decent jeans, but whenever I see a guy with really short jeans it makes me wince.

Most of what you said will do- but... no hawaiian/bowling shirts...

By the way, if you have any shirts with holes too- away with those.

Don't associate expensive with good. I mean. High quality stuff will look and feel high quality, but I'd hit an outlet mall if you have one within driving distance.

Go slow. Don't walk outside feeling uncomfortable with what you're wearing, because if you feel awkward all day you're going to associate feeling awkward with that outfit and never wear it again. Oh, and wear the clothes, don't let them wear you :)

• You can get simple button downs in stripes, solids, plaids -- whatever you prefer -- and wear them with jeans and nice, but casual, leather shoes (sperry's, for example). A nice cotton sweater (like a solid colored knit quarter zip) is a good alternative to the hoodie. For winter shoes you could wear a casual leather hiking-style boot that would probably go up to your ankle or a little higher (Timberland is a good brand that comes to mind). For warmer weather I'd recommend regular shorts instead of cargo, and leather flip flops or sperry's for shoes. Guys can typically wear variations of the same thing each day and brands like timberland and sperry's are sturdy and will last a while, so in my opinion this would be a good investment. Just my two cents!

I see a lot of guys that wear this stuff, so you can tailor it to your personality however you like. If you can see yourself wearing this, that's awesome, if not, that's cool too! There are plenty of other ways to dress nicely. Good luck!

• Well loose shirts aren't very Attractive but If you say you aren't in A great shape...the fitter the better, as long is not tight...

Logo is always a bad sign to me and almost every girl So no logos, just solid shirts much better and to look thinner dark colors, navy, brown, grey, dark green...

Fitted jeans...

A spicy of color on the trainer like a red...

I think Hawain shirts are kind of cool but only If you are at the beach otherwise it tends to look tacky...

Layers is always Good to look more put together and styled So basically its remain with solid clothes I will find a link and add later

• Become a homosexual. They're good about that kind of thing. ;)

• honestly sounds fine to me, I think you should focus more on your weight and feeling confident with your body and then get new clothes to show off your body,I love the bowling shirts by the way, maybe define your style as classic 50's, rockabilly? link .. I could see you rockin that:)

• burn your hawaiian shirts. don't wear flip flops anymore. do not wear a button down shirt with sneakers or flip flops they don't match

look at what the stylish guys in your area dress like. shop at stores catered to men in their early 20s, the mannequins will have complete outfits already put together. ask sales people for advice they will really help you out

• a nice American eagle plaid---either flannel or cotton button down will do wonderssss! doesn't matter wht shape your in, obviously wear it untucked tho, wear a t shirt under your button down and undo a couple of buttons so its casual

and sneakers...i hope you mean skate shoes! or a pair of traditional adidas with the 3 stripes.

and a pair of dark jeans--slightly fitted not baggy!

i love the skater look and the preppy casual look and the snowboarder look

but seriously button down plaid is a good look on any guy

• Hears a list of things to not wear..ever.

-Hawaiian Shirts

-Flip slops

-(If you're out in public) Loose fitting anything

-Ratty jeans

-Bowling shirts (wtf!?)

I don't know too much about what guy's should wear, but I know somethings are the same for men and women. Really all you have to do is buy clothes that fit you and that bring out your better features. And dress like you care! Comb your hair, shower, all that good stuff. &You should be all set. (:

• And despite what the idealists of the world might say; appearance does matter, at least to some extent it does. If you look like you don't give a crap, people are gonna think your a sloppy person who can't take care of himself.

• I think you need to expand your knowledge of fashion around the states before dictating such a ridiculous list. Oh, by the way, it's "here." Not "hear."

• dammit, yeah I've been having weird trouble with those words lately...

And I thought that was a pretty reasonable list...Just trying to help bro :P

• moccassins and sperrys are really hot on guys. Also, invest in a PERFECT fitting pair of jeans (maybe let the sales-ladies help you?)--it really makes a huge difference if you usually wear weird jeans hehe. Flannels and crew neck sweatshirts, and sweaters on top, and you're ready to go :)

Ooh by the way, also maybe a good, wool winter coat?

• I love stylish man its HOT ! you should chose your own style

Look up pictures of male Celebrities and get some inspiration :)

link

link

Check these out.

link

link

• Go to the city and people watch, look what other men are wearing and get a feel for what styles and looks you like. Keep in mind the things you liked when you go shopping. Hope this is good advice, because I get ideas from doing this myself. Cheers :-)

• It is not about the way you dress. The ways that you dress or that anyone dress expresses thier personality. I could tell that you are cool laid back and outgoing bby the way that you dress. I t may be your expression when a girl walks by or how you carry yourself.

• I guess as long as you don't dress like a grandpa, you're fine! Yet, in my opinion, you should involve shirts (H&M shirts are stunning) and jeans more! I don't want to be offensive in any way, but Hawaiian shirts? They're absolutely not my style! I bet you look better in NORMAL shirts!

Anyways, who gives a damn about clothes? I deal with humans not clothes! WEAR WHATEVER YOU FIND COMFORTABLE!

• Acessorise and read magazines, you don't have to buy a whole new wardrobe to get better style. Watch what not to wear on TLC, they tell you about styles that flatter your body type. Can you please answer mine? link

• Don't wear clothes with logos on them. The odd exception is maybe once in a while a shirt with a sports team logo or a band tshirt. Plain polos/golf shirts can be good if they're not too tight or too oversized. Casual button down shirts with a beater tank underneath are cool, as well as sweaters or some nice jackets/hoodies. Don't ever wear hawaiian shirts or bowling shirts. Not attractive.

Don't wear flip flops. Men, if I can see your hairy toes, not attractive.

• I had a guy tell me that no guy with game wears snearkers with button downs. A GUY told me this ... one who pulls ass.

• Then what do guys with game wear?

• Well, I consider myself very detail-oriented, but those aren't the kind I pay attention to.

• I think he meant that when a guy wears a dressier shirt, he should wear a dressier pair of shoes. I've never studied men's fashion, but the fact that I've repeated that story to more than one guy who agreed with it made me think there must be something we gals don't consciously realize that guys think works.

What Guys Said 10

• Go for the casual look. This won't damage your budget and you can easily show off a sense of style and confidence that would normally be hidden by your typical outfit of choice. Wear jeans that fit snuggly and aren't faded, but showcase your behind a bit better. Don't wear faded ripped jeans, unless you're a cowboy. Wear button down shirts, usually looks better with rolled up sleeves, and/or polo shirts. You don't have to go for major design labels, just find one that fits your body best. That's what's more important. Avoid wearing sneakers, and try looking for boots. I don't think you need help in that category. Keep in my mind, I'm not telling you how to dress, just giving you a general option that's pretty safe, and most girls will notice. Remember that you don't need to be the most attractive guy to get appeal, sometimes wearing the right clothes is all it takes.

• And for those turning this into an, "Inner Beauty" argument, consider this... "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." - Mark Twain

It's not about changing self image, it's about raising your appeal and your recognition in regards to your appearance. If you don't have respect for yourself to look better, you're not gonna find it anywhere.

• There's nothing WRONG with your fashion sense at all. Your style is supposed to be an outward expression of your inner self. If this is who you are, then so be it. Otherwise you'd just be lying, in effect.

• What if part of his inner self is wanting women to find him attractive?

• Plus I'm not much of a fan of mirrors. I don't like them because part of me always wonders about what may be lurking on the other side of it.

• I dress for my self satisfaction and comfort. I don't dress for other people. I agree :)

• As long as you don't like an extreme kind of outfit (something like this link )

then I think that what makes you comfortable and confident is good enough .

• iam a jeans, shorts, and t shirt man, with nice shoes. I usually invest in a nice fitting, looking pair of shoes. recently bought a pair of pumas there comfy and theyll last forever. I wear jeans usually in fall and winter. you'll rarely catch me in jeans in the summer, I actually hate wearing jeans, id wear shorts all year round if I could, with loose fit shirts or muscle ts on the occasion.

• If you have any close female friends ask them for help or opinions. I hate shopping

and am no good at fashion but I still want to look good. I've found if I need tips my female friends are always happy to chat about clothes.

• Here's a tip that should help for the future.

No matter who makes the clothes, or how much they cost, the way the clothes fit can make or break the look. This applies in both directions, too big or too small. A lot of people who are out of shape tend to buy bigger clothes to hide it. In actuality it only accentuates it.

Also, go to a department store and go to the men's section and ask if somebody could take your measurements. Unless the person is a complete jackass, they'll do it for free.

• F*** fashion man, as long as you're confident in yourself, women will flock to you.

• Subscribe to GQ or Complex.

Mimic that.

• Throw the Hawaiian shirts in the garbage! Unless your a female, flip flops are for lakes, beaches and backyard bbqs. These celebs pay out millions of dollars to stylist to dress them, so google a celeb whos fashion sense you like/admire and buy things similiar. Or just look at one of your fashionable peers or CoWorker and do the same.

• Start by not dressing in grey!

• grey is fine, if its stylish

• If you're a hipster then yes, but if you wanna be really stylish then grey is the worst choice of color!