How can I look less high school and more college?

I'm going to college next year and I wanna get prepared. I don't wanna walk on campus and have everyone go "yep, she's a freshman". I wanna look like I belong.

I'm not sure where I'm going yet (don't find out till Feb or March). my top 2 are uc Berkeley (Berkeley California) and George Washington university (Washington dc).

Most Helpful Girl

• Most people in college/university don't go walking around thinking that. They really don't care to notice if other people look like a freshman or not. At least, that's how I see it. When I'm walking around on campus, I don't see "freshman's" and "third years", etc. I just see people who are stressed and tired and want to get their work done. :P

Don't worry so much about it. Just be yourself and go with whatever style is comfortable for you. People in college/university tend to care less about the menial things that people care about in high school (i.e., whom you're friends with, what you're wearing, etc). It's much more diverse and accepting, I find. Maybe it's just the schools I've gone to, but I think the majority are like that. You are bound to find people you get along with. Don't worry about belonging to a certain group or anything like that. Most of the friends I have are from different classes and don't know each other, so it's not like I'm always with one particular group. I'm just among friends and that's all that matters (as well as getting your work done).

Anyways, good luck on the applications and all that. :)

What Guys Said 5

• Generally you'll notice that the farther along they get in their studies the less they worry about how they look. The girls who spend an hour getting ready for class are obviously freshmen. The ones who go to class in swears looking like they just rolled out of bed are usually obviously upperclassmen. Although this can vary depending on the school. However, this is the general rule of thumb.

• After your first semester of realizing just how much time you end up having to devote to studies, and how little of a social life you really will have, you'll eventually naturally fall into that "go to class looking like you just don't care" look. And that's when people will be able to tell you're not a freshman. =)

• Depends on the school, you need specific advice.

At my university, most people appeared to dress in whatever they found in a cleaning pile on the floor when they crawled out of bed. We had a nice campus, they'd sometimes film movies pretending to be u.s. schools, and the extras always looked hilarious to us, they dressed better then our professors half the time.

But it does depend on the school. Mine had a strong anti-prep anti-jock vibe.

• Even If we give you tips to do this and do this. your body language will reveal that you are a freshman :-)

And even if the people say like tat you are a freshman, It is true. and There may happen some funny things. but you will remember those memories for the rest of your life.

• girls at my university have a more sophisticted look then high school girls at least the stylish ones. More like red raconteurs 3rd link under college.. That sort of thing, and its definitely easy on the eyes from a guys perspective lol

• If you try to look older than you are...you might look like you're trying too hard.

What Girls Said 5

• Haha you haven't told us what your major will be but regardless, after the first semester you will stop caring so much about how you dress!

The way I differentiate between freshmen and other students is by the practicality of their clothes lol. High heels and fancy tops are for freshmen who don't know the joy of getting only 3 hours of sleep per night all-night essay writing sessions and cramming 5 minutes before an exam because you have 3 other exams that same day. And generally at that point people stop paying attention to other people at all, let alone how others dress.

So basically dress how you want. Your style might change depending on the environment and that's fine. Part of the fun of being in school is looking back at previous years and thinking "I can't believe I used to wear that!"

• High school: link

link

link

College: link

link

link

The college look is just a little more mature and refined.

• I think its more the way you carry yourself because a lot of people at my high school say I look younger than I am but outside of school older people think I'm a senior or in college eventhough I'm a junior

• I can always tells when someone is a freshman. You can try to avoid looking like it as much as you want, but in the end, people will realize it.

• Don't wear clothes that match a lot in color