Do you think burning incense in my dorm would make the smoke detector go off?

The ceiling is about 8 feet from the floor. Do you think it would make the smoke detector go off? I really wanna burn some incense to make it smell better in here but if I get caught I will get fined.

it didn't go off lolo

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• I doubt it would trip the sensor in the smoke detector. I have one in my bedroom and incense has never set it off before, even with the door shut and multiple incense burning at once, haha. If possible, do you have a window that can be cracked open? Or is there a way for you to pop the battery out of the smoke detector? I mean I don't advise taking the battery out for long periods of time, but if you only do it when you burn incense, and then put it back after, it should be okay.

But if you really don't want to break the rules, maybe you could use one of those wall plug-in scent things like some other people have suggested. Or get an oil diffuser, where it electrically heats the bowl and you melt scented wax or oils in it to give off the smell. Then turn it off and the oil cools, or the melted wax re-solidifies.

What Guys Said 2

• Maybe take the battery out?

• Get some scented candles if you are concerned about smoke.

• =)

OK, Well my recommendation stands. Scented candles should give you what you want without the worry of setting off a smoke alarm. Incense can set off a smoke alarm depending on how may are being burned and how close to the smoke detector they are being burned.

• but I like to break rules

• So? You want to break the rules with incense but you wouldn't break the rules with a candle? =S At least candles are contained and don't give off smoke.

• Show Older

What Girls Said 5

• No. I have candles lighted all the time and it doesn't do anythig

• i would suggest candles too, I have some in my dorm room. If your RA is really picky about the rules just hide the candle when you aren't burning it. but if you really want to use the incense, do what the potheads do. take some painters (blue) tape and tape a plastic grocery bag or two over the smoke detector and seal it. I don't smoke but I have some friends who do this and it hasn't ever let the alarm go off, even with 10 or so people smoking for hours on end, up to 3 lit blunts in the room at a time. after the smell of incense has died down, just take the bag off. hope this helps!

• Just get some air freshener, why take the chance?

• Get one of these link

• Get one of those plug-in things for your wall. That will help with the smell and it isn't breaking any rules.