Girls, what age did you begin shaving your legs and underarms?

I know of some parents who refuse to let there daughters shave despite having hair there. Just wondering at what age you began grooming.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think that I began shaving on a regular basis around 14-years old (perhaps I fiddled with it unreligiously at 13, or even a short session at 12), but the regularity was dictated by /if/ I deemed the situation to need it, hah. In other words, the summer generally called for it, while the winter did not.

I would have to say that the majority of girls begin in the early teenage years (13-14), or just before (12.)

My parents never really told me a time in which I could begin... so I slowly started myself; they did not seem to mind or say anything about it. One day, it all just became common knowledge and my mother would ask if I needed new razors.

I am primarily of Italian descent (although, I am not saying that all of said ethnicity are equal to this, mind)... consequently, I possess (and have since a child, to an extent) quite the thick, dark growth that must be tamed!

I have never truly understood the strict, outlaw of shaving by parents... how is it inappropriate? If she was requesting to lather on make-up and revealing clothing: I would then worry and take your side.

What Girls Said 10

• I think I was 12...but everyone told me not to because my leg hair and stuff is bleach blond so there was really no point...but I wanted to fit in. My mom was cool about showing me how and everything.

• I was about 12. Seems like yesterday..:)

What's funny is my 'mother' taught me to shave below the knees. Then one day in high school, I was on the bus to go home, and I saw this girl get on and with the sun shining on her legs,I could see all the hairs on her thighs. I was like,ewww. From that point on,I started shaving my thighs as well:)

• age 12 I think. can't remember exactly. as soon as the hair got darker and more visible

• 8th grade, so like 13 I guess?

• I was 13 when I first started shaving my underarms. And I didn't "need" to start shaving my legs until I was like 14... so I didn't.

• When there was a need to but I don't recall when that was.

• When I was 10. Which seems early in retrospect, but I was one of the last girls in my class to do it. Maybe cause I was in a class with mostly Italians and Latinas (lol, Catholic school). Also, being Italian, I myself am quite hairy so I felt it was a necessity at the time.

• My parents were against the whole shaving thing until I am older, but I was a rebel and started shaving secretly when I was 13 years old. But they found out the upcoming summer. They were so pissed off at me that they went through my whole room and threw out every shaver, shaving cream, and waxing kit they found. Every 2 weeks, they would ask to check my legs, and underarms. It totally sucked for a few years cause in senior high, I was the only girl who didn't shave the underarms and legs. Talk about embarrassing. But since I am 21, I can shave or wax anything I want cause my parents can't control what I can and can't do. But still today, they hate the idea of me shaving or waxing.

• Seriously? May I ask why? Is it a religious thing? I taught my daughter to shave at the age of 12 and if she wants to wax,so be it(she's almost 18).

• I don't think it's a religious thing, but more of a, how do I describe it, a natural thing? My parents think that everything should be left to as how you were born and by removing it makes you seem so much unnatural and that you're not following the order of law? They also believe that it takes your innocence away, like how you're childhood is taken away earlier. In plain words, they hold weird beliefs about shaving...

• 11 or 12

• I think I was 12 when I first shaved my legs. I just decided to try it, and then I felt guilty about it (my mom doesn't shave), so I had to go tell my mom what I did and that I was sorry. She didn't care at all, haha, she just told me that it was okay, and that some people did and some people didn't, and if I wanted to that was fine. :-)

What Guys Said 0