Tattoo ideas to symbolize personal struggles?

I've finally decided to get a tattoo. I know exactly where I want it and a general idea of what I want but I don't know the exact thing I want. I know I want either words (a short quote or individual word) or a small simple symbol that would represent the struggles I've faced the past few years: anorexia, depression, self hatred. Basically I want something permanent that tells me I'm good enough the way I am. I've also had problems trying to be perfect for everyone and getting hurt by the people I put first so I thought about something along the lines of 'forgive and forget'. Enough of my rambling, does anyone have any suggestions? (the spot I want it is close to my heart and fairly small)

Most Helpful Guy

• The phoenix is one of my favorite symbols of all time. A phoenix in all its glorious radiant flames rises from the ashes. It represents life after death, metaphorically representing the overcoming of obstacles, obstacles that were once seemingly the death of oneself. Out of nothing, something astonishing comes to be. I plan to get phoenix wings on my back someday (once I get my hang gliding license) for this very reason. The wings themselves symbolize freedom, another metaphor to represent freedom from what was was bringing you down, or freedom from whatever you want really...

This site has a bunch of cool phoenix designs to choose from:

link

Something like this would look amazing in my opinion:

link

What Guys Said 3

• So, you want someone else to tell you what to write as a heartfelt ideal of importance...yeah

• More like a quote or symbol commonly associated with any of the things I described. And it's not like I'm just going to get anything just because some stranger suggested it. It's just to give me an idea that I can modify for myself.

• IMO, someone really has very little business getting any kind of body modification done if they're not willing to wield the needle themselves. Same principle applies here: if you really can't come up with your own material to imprint onto your body, you've no business getting it done.

• "be strong" in hebrew. It appears as a simple symbol. Ask at the parlor, they should have it. Base of your neck. look it up, you might like it.

• I'd get a tattoo of Captain Falcon using the Falcon Punch on Black Shadow. Appropriate AND epic.

What Girls Said 1

• link This probably isn't what you're looking for, but I love the concept of it : )