Girls, what is your opinion on men who wear Hawaiian shirts?

I don't wear 'em, but I'm curious.

Are they attractive or not?

• They look so smart, stylish and sexy, men should wear them more often!
  • They're alright I guess!
  • Ugh! they look tacky and horrible, so unattractive!
  • I honestly don't give a sh*t; clothes are clothes!

Most Helpful Girl

• To be honest, I think in general they're unattractive. I have seen guys pull them off, however it's a very, very small percentage.

But, I think some guys can pull them off - not in a stylish way mind you - but just in a humorous way. I saw a guy once who had on a really awful-patterned Hawaiian shirt, and he knew it looked dreadful, but in a weirdly paradoxical way I think that was the purpose. He just completely embraced it and totally rocked it out. However he had the "joking, fun-loving" personality to be able to do this so...

But again to reiterate, they usually just don't go over well on most guys. If you really want to wear one though then you should, don't let other people dictate your style :)

• My mentor once bought a Hawaiian shirt with matching tie, in lime green, with tiiiny tiiiny flourescent yellow golfclub sack icons all over it in rows. It had this like, dazzling mirage effect because of the pattern and the tie blended in with the shirt, he said 'It was so horrible I just couldn't leave it there without buying it'. I laughed so much when I heard about that

• Jeez, a matching tie as well? That's taking it up a level.

What Girls Said 51

• I had to vote C. I think they're awful, the vast majority of them. I'm not going to like harass a guy for wearing them, or say it's a deal breaker or anything stupid like that, but assuming I know the guy, I'd probably tease about it and jokingly 'nag' for a shirt change, haha.

• i think they're really funny :D lol 50 year old guys wear them because they think they're fashionable, but it was always my assumption that younger guys wear them as a sort of parody...surely no one born 1986 or more recent can possibly think that Hawaiian shirts are attractive...

• in other words, they're only unattractive when you take them seriously.

• In my opinion, they are fine if...

you're on vacation in a warm climate and above 30 years old

OR

if you live somewhere warm, are retired, and have gray or white hair.

Otherwise, I'd stay clear of them.

But if you must, go for a tank instead of the traditional shirt. link

• Girls, what is your opinion on men who wear Hawaiian shirts? That unless the guy is really hot he'll look like a dork to me.

Are they attractive or not? Unattractive to me.

• They are alright. It depends where you wear them and how you wear them. With just a plain pair of jeans..I don't think they would look so good. But, I don't know.

• Overall, I don't care for them. It's the equivalent to a girl buying ten of the same shirt in different colors, like at Aeropostale, Hollister, Abercrombie, etc. But if the guy is a nerd, it's just f-ing hilarious, and a real source of entertainment to watch him thinking that it makes him hot.

• I think think they're fun, although I don't really pay much attention to them.

• Hawaiian shirts scream out 'old man' to me! haha. I don't think they look good but for the most part I don't care too much one way or the other about them. The only time I ever thought it looked OK was on this super hot guy at the beach..he was in shorts..the shirt was unbuttoned and just kinda hanging on him..i dunno..the look worked! *fans herself* :P But generally..Hawaiian shirts = bad fashion. :P

• I associate Hawaiian shirts with your over 60 year old man with khakis and a fishing hat, who gives no sh*ts and has a tenancy for inappropriate commentary.

Under those circumstances, Hawaiian shirts fit the bill.

But, no, I don't find them attractive. They range from neutral to "Why?" on other people.

• if I like the guy-i'll like the shirt,if I dislike the guy,i'll notice it and hate it. so I guess D is my choice.

• Some guys can pull it off. People don't wear them around here though, I don't know clothes are clothes whatever as long as the guy looks good I'm fine. But It would not be my first choice no. So I just chose D.

• I chose c. Ugh! They look tack and horrible , so unattractive and that pretty much explains it.

never wear a Hawaiian shirt on a date or a special occasion. I remember this guy last year would always wear Hawaiian shirts everyday he was creepy and shirt didn't help

• not so much.

• they shouldn't even be acceptable in hawaii

• not for younger guys.. older ones like an uncle or grandpa.. they're pretty tacky in my opinion... I've seen guys wear them and it typically doesn't look very good.

• The type of guys I like would never wear something like that, so I kind of ''don't give a sh*t'' because I know my guy would never wear it and I don't care about what other guys wear.

• I'm indifferent to them.

• the only person that hawaiian shirts suited was my English lit teacher... his personality matched the shirt. he would wear one every Friday, some sort of tradition I guess.

• I'm between B & C. It really depends on the guy wearing it. Some make it look good, some make it look horrible and unattractive.

• Lmao :'D they look so tacky.

• they look cute on grandpa, and my uncle.

• on a scale of 1 to 10, how hot are guys who wear sweatpants?

• lol that's all you've got? awww that's so cute :) you realize you can't compete with (unable to debate in an effective way/no arguments) me and that's why you try to "attack" me. funny thing is, you can't even provike me. ha ha so pathetic :) we both know you don't stand a chance against me. it's OK, I forgive you. *pats her cute little head*

• I did never ever attack you, but you (who obviously never have debated in anything more serious than junior-high-Model United Nations) seem to try to agitate me at every chance you get. Why is that? You keep shooting wild shots, *trying* to seem serious, however, you just screw up, and when you realize this does not work (IF you realize it, it could just be randomized attempts at social strategy, what do I know), you desperately attempt to seem patronizing. Wow. It's actually sad to watch.

• The ONLY way that this would be SOMEWHAT OK is if the shirt is vintage 1950's or 60's and maybe 70's. Anything newer, NO WAY! If it's 1980's or newer - absolutely NO WAY! And I can't stand the Tommy Bahama clothes either. Gross!

• I usually think the men who wear them are old guys at their class reunions who are trying to looks young & cool, but they are really just old, drunk & losers.

• Hahaha Good question. When I think of Hawaiian shirts, I think of old men tourists. So I would lean towards unattractive.

• I don't like them.

• I voted B. I have nothing against them but I don't particularly think they look smart.

• Havent you ever seen undateable on vh1?! yeah... that explains it all

• I think they're okay for when you'r in Hawaii.

• It works if you're elvis.

• More from Girls
    21

What Guys Said 15

• I think that girls HATE them because they represent one thing about men that they're jealous of (but won't admit it). That men can get away with throwing out all fashionable appeal for comfort (because they most certainly are comfortable) and/or practicality.

• I use to own two and I wore one to school and some prick told me I was gay for waring it and I told him to go f*** himself next thing I knew the kid had a lighter trying to burn the sleeve of it. I guess people hate them for whatever reason.

• They're like wolf t-shirts: only ballers and real comfortable men can wear them.

• I always think of Gabriel Iglesias when I think of hawaiian shirts.

• tacky and especially tacky if worn in the winter time.

• Ha ha.. .I'm surprised you even need to ask that. Even in Hawaii ... IT IS WRONG!

• ACE VENTURA! PET DETECTIVE!

• Only cool dudes can rock them. Other people look like losers. lol

• They're f***in sexy.

• Damn! I've always wanted one! :(

• Only fat guys and old guys can wear Hawaiian shirts lol

• My old job forced us to wear them...ugh...

• Did any other guy start looking through their wardrobe to throw out their hawaiian shirts after reading the girls answers? lol

• They only look good in Hawaii.

• I know for a fact Hawaiian shirts repulse women, but sometimes a guy has to wear looser clothing to conceal. I carry concealed on my hip, so in the hotter weather I have to wear an unbuttoned shirt (Hawaiian color scheme or not). It's a big burden sometimes.

• Why do you need to carry concealed. Your shirt is doing the job just fine! Lol jk. I think hawaiian shirts are sexy, even on girls.

• Concealed? Like, a gun?

• Yes, a concealed gun. When I carry a gun I carry a huge burden, because I have to make every attempt to NOT use it. But I am always thinking about it; it's a big responsibility. To this date I have never had to draw it, but came close once. Very scary

I'm a shorter, muscular man. About 8-10 % body fat, with a six pack, and lats showing nicely when I wear tighter shirts. But when I wear my gun I have to wear less than flattering shirts that hide my gun as well as (unfortunately) my muscles.