Do you really care if a girl is tan or not?

It's been proven how horrible tanning is and that there is a serious risk of skin cancer involved with it, but girls still brave the tanning beds in order to look sexy. But honestly, do you guys really care if a girl has fair or tan skin? (Of course, this question doesn't mean those with pale skin due to illness or Hispanic girls that are naturally tanned)

Most Helpful Guy

• I generally prefer a natural skin tone. Meaning if you're naturally pale, be pale! If you're naturally tan, be tan!

What Guys Said 10

• Absolutely not. In fact, I specifically don't like tans that aren't natural.

If you're actually outdoors or at a beach or whatever and get tanned, fine, you came by your tan naturally and honestly. But fake-baking or, even worse, spray tans and such are just pathetic to me.

I have a weakness for redheads, and have dated a few, and they basically CAN'T tan, as their skin lacks melanin. So, their skin is bright white, to the point where it is almost blue sometimes. Not a problem for me at all.

And just so you know where I'm coming from, I've dated black women as well, so I have no problem with dark skin either.

It's FAKE that I have a problem with.

• I actually prefer pale girls. They are cuter that way. Well tan isn't necessarily all bad, you actually get vitamins from UV rays

• I don't really like super pale skin, but the other extreme isn't attractive either. Fair skin is always fine though. It's only super pale skin that may be a bit of a turn off.

• Personally I would prefer someone a bit more tanned being Hispanic myself, but the main thing is a girl who looks natural is always better than otherwise.

• I don't care.

• Tans don't really mean that much to me. They make girls feel better about themselves and are often relatively harmless, but I don't care too much. I will admit that I do sometimes find tan lines sexy, don't ask why, I don't know, I just do. Sometimes, not always.

• nope

• Nope. do not care.

• No, I don't care.

• no, doesn't matter to me! :)

What Girls Said 4

• Actually no, it is not very accurately advertised that tanning is bad for you. Those reports are paid for by the cosmetic and sunscreen industries whose profits are badly affected due to indoor tanning. (Since tan people use less makeup, have improved acne and don't by as many facial products, and tans are actually the body's own personal sunscreen, it does not help their profits.) Indoor tanning uses the same rays as the sun, and it's not bad for you if you are smart about it and do it in moderation. Only over exposure is bad for your skin. Also, they try to say that it causes melanoma, but there actually is no clear-cut connection between the two. The majority of melanoma cases occur in people who work indoors and do no receive many UV rays. A lot of indoor tanners are referred to do so by their own dermatologists because in addition to helping depression (especially seasonal), it actually improves skin conditions such as acne, eczema, and psoriasis, and has been linked to the reduction of 105 different diseases.

Also, the cosmetic dermatology industry that puts down indoor tanning utilizes the same equipment in their practices, charges upwards of $100 for it, and don't practice the same moderation and control that indoor tanning places do and THEY are the ones that cause the damage by over exposing their patients.

In addition to this, the same sunscreen industry (a multi-billion dollar industry) that pays to advertise these greatly misinterpreted reports and (very taken out of context) that claim indoor tanning causes cancer actually use oxybenzone as an ingredient in their sunscreen which is considered a carcinogen and is believe to be a major cause of skin cancer.

Just saying.

• I should add that I don't care whether people are tan or not, I mean it's whatever people like and prefer for themselves, I just thought I'd add the extra bit of information.

• Skin Type Identification Questionaire

UV Radiation Consent Forms

The Sun and the "Epidemic" of Melanoma: Myth or Myth

Dermatology Times article: Doctor's Offer Different Views of Melanoma

European Journal of Cancer

(Article) Tanning Beds: What do the numbers really mean. Association of Healthcare Journalists.

American Cancer Society: Cancer Facts and Figures 2008

SEER Cancer Statistics Review. National Cancer Institute.

The Skin Cancer Cover Up by Shuster

Melanoma's Public Message by Rhodes.

• I could add more, but I'm sure this is ample.

• The truth is humans come in all shades, so to say pale skin is ugly or to say tan skin is beautiful (or vice versa) is absurd. They are ALL beautiful. Natural skin colors (and natural tans from the sun) are attractive.

• I long since said I don't give a f*** if I'm tan or not. (People have always seemed to have a problem with me being pale/fair whatever.)

They have no problem telling me I'm too white they wouldn't tell a black person they're too black. So natural skin is better. It's just skin.

• It's really cool knowing guys don't care too much (after reading these comments). Good question. I'm usually pretty tan during the summer because I'm outside for soccer ALL THE TIME. But during the winter, I'm quite pale. So knowing that it doesn't matter too much either way is nice.