Why admiting you're aware of being pretty is seen as a lack of modesty?

basically, once you hear so many times how beautiful you are, you can only say, oh thanks! & pretend you're unaware of it... if you say thanks, I know! or when you point it out to make an statement or else and if you don't express it in a joky way, then you lack of modesty and is not seen as a very nice thing to say... to be honest after hear it so many times it gets tiring that's the only complement people can come up to you. I personally think beauty is overrated.

Why if someone admits they're intelligent is ok? and is not seen as such a big deal? but when someone aknowledge their own beauty is such a "woow! keep it down.

any thoughts?

alright I think I put the question down wrongly... I'm not saying anything about being thankful for the complement...I'm asking more as why the fact that ypu admit it yourself, "yeah, Iknow I'm pretty" or "well, I'm pretty so?" is seen as such lack of modesty and not a good think to say about yourself, but if you say "yeah I know I'm intelligent" or "well, I'm very intelligent" is seen as a good thing to admit.

Most Helpful Guy

• Humility isn't easy. Knowing you're intelligent and proclaiming it is just as bad as knowing your pretty and saying it in my opinion. If you're pretty and you know you're pretty, there isn't any reason for you to say it. If you're smart and you know you're smart than why would you be telling other people you're smart? Shouldn't they already know you're smart from the quality of your conversation and the depth of your knowledge? Also, when beauty and intelligence is all subjective you're putting yourself in an awkward position when someone can challenge you on your proclamation. In my circle of friends I might seem really smart because I'm the only one with the college education but if I were to appear at an Ivy League I'm sure I'd look like a simpleton with my state college degree. The same goes for beauty.

• I agree with you at some level, however is not like: hi how are you? - hi, I'm pretty you? ... why isn't so bad to accept and be "proud" of your qualities? (same for intelligence and so on..) instead of going on pretending? - hey, you're pretty -me? really?! thanks but I don't think so.. my hair is awful! (that was an exageration) but oit seen as if you remark your flaws you are better off

• Because humility is a virtue and will allow you withstand hardship. If you went around telling everyone you're pretty and suddenly someone says you're really ugly it'll probably catch you off guard and if that person is someone you think is also attractive it might really hurt you. Also, if we parade around highlighting our assets than it will start to corrupt our character and we'll slowly become vain and arrogant because we've warped our reality to how we want it to look.

• And as far as being proud of what you are, there's no one saying you can't be. You just can't go around telling the world about it. Every morning I have a pep talk in the mirror and tell myself how accomplished and successful I'll be and that I'm the best looking best talented person for anything blah blah blah... I'd never have that conversation in front of others, though.

What Guys Said 5

• It's because beauty is subjective. One person can find you beautiful while another is fighting the urge to vomit upon looking at you. If they express their opinion, it's not saying "I want you to know that you're beautiful", it's "I want you to know you're beautiful TO ME" to which, your answer should always be "Thank you." since you weren't entirely sure of that fact.

• 3 downs? lol. People must me far more retarded than I thought they were.

• 3 downs? lol. People must BE* far more retarded than I thought they were.

• It's just a form of courtesy. You almost always say thank you when someone opens the door for you, right? You wouldn't lift your nose and go "Thats right you better open the door for me". Same thing when someone gives you a compliment. If you're tired of just saying thank you why not return the favor by complimenting something nice about him or her as well? "Thanks, I like your watch!" They aren't going to care what you compliment them on as long as you sound sincere.

• Actually, I think saying "i know I'm intelligent' is rude too.

• Modesty is basically down playing your abilities or whatever else someone is giving you positive accolades on. If you're rebuttal is "Yeah, I know," you sound kind of cocky. A simple "thank you" is enough.

• It's old etiquette. On the west coast, admitting beauty is commonplace, admitting intelligence is considered frivolous

What Girls Said 2

• I totally understand where you're coming from! this happens to me all the time and its extremely annoying. I've been told I'm attractive so whenever someone says I'm ugly I say no I'm not but then they get all a**hole-ish and say um cocky much? and then I have my wtf face on because I'm not being cocky I'm being truthful.

• yes that's rude. just say thanks and move on