Are you actually looking for a good looking guy?

It seems very apparent that girls don't care as much about what a guy looks like as guys care about what girls look like. Now before I get eaten alive for that comment it makes sense. Females are the ones who bear children, so men have to know that they have good genes. And males are typically the ones who defend, fight, and protect their family so women look often for men who bring status, power, and things of that nature.

So my question (mostly for girls) is do you actually look for good looking guys for boyfriends? I assume everyone is different, but many women seem to have the opinion that as long as the guy is average looking, they'll date them for their personality. Is this true for you? How much do you value attractiveness in a partner?

Woah 1 star? I didn't think it was that bad a question. I'm just trying to ask a legitimate question about preferences I'm not complaining about my own experience at all. So I don't understand why this question is "miserable"

Thank you for all of your answers :D

Most Helpful Girl

• You know...a lot of girls admire the beautiful men in magazines and on t.v., but I honestly think that what they're looking for is someone who is real and will treat them well. Sure, you have to be attracted to them physically on some level, but a great personality would either sustain that attraction you have for them or make them more handsome in your eyes...

What Girls Said 14

• Nope. I don't and most people I know dont. Of course in our minds the guy we like is very attractive to us so it's not like we purposely go "oh he's ugly I want him"... we just like personality and the way he carries himself. yes, the whole protection whatever thing is true. If a guy has a good personality and can make you laugh and smile and is nice, then he becomes more attractive in our eyes. So yeah, looks are pretty insignificant even for girls who think they only like good looking guys... most of the time those guys are ugly (from what I've seen)

• Lol yes I definitely look for good looking guys and value attractiveness quite a bit. It's certainly not everything, but without it a relationship will never get off the ground.

• And you are half right about women looking for a strong man to protect the family. Women also look for a mate with good genes though. So maybe we don't value looks as strongly as men do because we're looking for 2 important things, but we definitely value them. I don't know a single woman who's dated a man she wasn't attracted to.

• That makes sense. I definitely don't think women would date a man they aren't attracted to, but I do them them dating average looking guys for other qualities they possess.

• Absolutely. But you will see in psychological studies that most people don't deviate too far from their own attractiveness. They did an experiment on the discovery channel to show it; 10's usually end up with 10's; 5's with 5's etc. Some date up or down by maybe a point, but men and women tend to stick to their own.

• In my opinion, it does matter a lot. It might not necessarily be to the standards of everyone else but if I find him attractive and he's got a good personality (in my own opinion) then yeah why not. Looks do matter though, I'm not going to find a guy who I think is gross, somehow sexually attractive. It doesn't work like that. It just depends on the girls standards and what she thinks is acceptable.

• yes. I'm looking for someone with the whole package. Looks are important to me, but what I consider beautiful most may consider unattractive. it's all about perspective.

• Okay so here's the deal. People are subconsciously attracted to the opposite gender who share a general likeness or proportion to themselves. Everyone has a differing opinion on what makes a person attractive. I would love to say that all I care about is personality but that is a fallacy. I like guys who are only a little bit taller then me and are in decent shape (not overtly muscular). However I have to find someone who is both attractive, and has an AMAZING personality before I will become interested.

• i do like guys who are pleasant to look at

• I have my own personal list for a boyfriend.. I think goodlooks is somewhere in the low middle... First impressions to me are not that important.. The guy I like now... I really hated him when I first met him.. now I practically love him haha. I think being intelligent, fun/funny, and talented are the first three things.. I don't want to date a guy that is stupid.. but I don't want a guy to be way to conceded about his intelligence.. I also want someone who is trustworthy and kind. no jerky guys,.. So to answer your question I think looks are semi important but not the only things I personaly look for.. Good luck and don't worry:)

• yes! every girl wants a good looking guy...

• I don't think your question is miserable... I totaly understand that you just wanted some opions... I gave you five starts haha

• No, if he treats me with repsect (as I would treat him) and is honest it don't matter what you look like :)

• i know I am

• Of course it would be nice if he would look nice, but what's much more important is the character. I wouldn't spend/waste my time with someone who is nothing but good looking. It's a warm and friendly personality that makes someone handsome. I think the person you love will always be beautiful for you! Furthermore, looks aren't for eternity!

• I want someone I find attractive, but I'm not looking for Brad Pitt or anything. A lot of times, I have found hot guys to be jerks (not all of them, but more than not). It's like they have this attitude that they're hot and they know it. Arrogance isn't attractive. I'd call my last boyfriend average, but to me he was always the greatest looking guy in the room because of how much I loved him. My friends would have definitely said he was average, though. It totally depends on how the girl feels about the guy that determines his attractiveness. I'd take a great personality of drop dead gorgeous looks any day.

• I meant: I'd take a great personality OVER drop dead gorgeous looks any day. :)

• He has to be attractive to me. I may have very different tastes than others and I definitely do not look for a ten. I look for a certain character and intelligence and a sexual attraction. But those are vvery individualized things.

What Guys Said 2

• yeah I wonder why girls don't want a guy that has healthy genes, as in it is not a must-have

• How about this - A guy doesn't have to be good looking per se, just good looking enough