Is expressing an opinion on someone's physical appearance taboo?

I've noticed (well, on here, anyways) that if someone tells someone they are hot or ugly they get sh*t for it. It's like you're condemned for stating your opinion on someone appearance. I've noticed that when someone comments on someones appearance (i.e. "you're hot", "nice t*ts", "she's ugly") they either get down-voted, or called shallow.

Why does it matter, or why are people bothered by it? Is it like some unspoken taboo, because apparently I didn't get the memo.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's a classic case of being able to give but unable(wiling?) To take.

What Guys Said 4

• People feel their morals over rule others and also feel they have the right to express their opinion and that should shouldn't or that yours is the wrong one. The only answers people downvote from me, are answers with my opinion (Why ask if you're just going to tell me my opinion is wrong?) and answers that aren't what they wanted to hear... Sorry for giving them a dose of insight or reality like. In summary, stubborn people... Like me. :)

• Well they disagree or agree with you depending on how your opinion reflects theirs. Even though it is just your personal opinion, and even though people can't prove you wrong, they still have the right to disagree due to opposing views. But in the end, it wouldn't matter anyways, because only your opinions matter to you.

• I'm so sexy that my mirror catches on fire every time it sees me.

• lol I was j/k

Anyways, I don't know, I've seen users take compliments pretty well, it's the criticism they can't handle. If someone asks "am I ugly" they get a lot of support but god forbid someone says "you are not attractive".

• haha, you know you were being dead serious. (you when you typed out your answer --> :|)

• Well if the QA asks for it and you give your honest opinion and get attacked for it, it's really stupid.

Otherwise it's really unnecessary.

What Girls Said 4

• i'l be honest, I don't really have an answer your question. hell, I didn't even read it! I just saw your profiler and just really wanted to tell you that your like totally hot! if that's you in the pic that is:) you should totally crop that short bitch our of it though, it really distracts from your beauty. I love the way your hair's gently blowing in the breeze, ''because you're worth it'' ;) id love to see your humps. maybe you could message me a private pic?;) did I mention how much the sand suits your complexion? dtf?

• THAT BLUE DRESS MAKES YOU LOOK FAT AND YOUR BOYFRIEND IS AN ANIMAL.

There, I said it. Phew! :)

Remember, don't take that offensively :D I'm just sayin' ;D

• No, but expressing an opinon on someone else's opinion is also acceptable.

• No, I think that's normal. If you're mean about it though it's not nice.