"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Agree or disagree?

Studies show that babies were born with an eye for beauty. They tend to stare at beautiful faces longer than those that aren't as attractive. So do you agree or disagree with the statement above?

I know that people can be beautiful on the inside, but this question is mainly targeting outer beauty.

• Agree.
  • Disagree.
This question is terrible lol. The answer is obvious. It is in the eye of the beholder.

Better question:

DO YOU THINK OUR PERCEPTION OF BEAUTY IS DEVELOPED OR HARDWIRED?

Most Helpful Guy

• This statement is false and the perception of beauty is hardwired.

It's rooted in genetics, when someone of the opposite gender is attractive it indicates she got good genes and is more likely to provide healthy offspring.

It's in our subconscious mind, beyond the reach of any outer influence.

Before you yell about the Media, what is accepted by it simply matches with what the majority consider to be attractive but they also have made errors and no matter how big propaganda may praise something that just can't be accepted by the majority it will fail.

There is not a very strict canon of what is beautiful but still there are certain features which are considered attractive by the majority.

And in all times, in vastly different cultures.

What Guys Said 7

• I definitely agree.

Take 20 guys within a 5-year age range, and 100 pictures of women within the same age range (so that age-related issues are largely negated). While keeping the guys separate from each other, have them pick the most attractive 5 girls, and then have them rank those 5 girls in order of attractiveness. You might find a couple of girls who get as many as 10 votes, but no girl will get 20, and the pool of "semi-finalists" will be at least 40 different girls.

Even among my guy friends, there are big disagreements over what they find most attractive in women. Some like tall girls, some short. Some like skinny girls, some like curvy girls. Some like boobs, some butts, some legs, etc.

Then, there's the personality issue. If you had guys rate girls, 1-10 on looks, then had the guys actually meet those girls and spend time with them, you'd have a lot of guys who wanted to change their answers. That's because personality can add or remove "attractiveness points." Obviously, if a guy is just going off of a picture, personality can be difficult to gauge, so he'll mostly judge by physical beauty. But things change fast once real people with personalities are involved.

• I agree, not because I'm trying to be nice to those who feel they are "ugly" or " completely unattractive", really because no one is technically unattractive.

For example: If a random girl passes by me and my friend, I could say she's attractive, while my friend can say she's not. Then again we can use someone like Jessica Alba, my brother claims she's gorgeous, she's Alright to me. So technically its all a matter of opinion/ personal preference, which differs on the individual.

• My friends and I constantly disagree on who we think is hot, so it's definitely in the eye of the beholder.

• course it is in the eye of the beholder. And it's a bit of both. What's hardwired generally is the sex we're attracted to. The rest is developed. For example, women of larger volume were seen as sexy a hundred + years ago. But now the ideal beauty is some ridiculous skinny form.

• I think it is developed.

• I agree.

• Both. Subjective and personal, but there are objective traits of attractiveness as well.

What Girls Said 6

• I think beauty is in the eye of the masses. That means that besides our basic quirky human preferences that if all your life mommy, daddy, grandpa, grandma, and uncle Joe said Sarah is so beautiful just like Morgan and Jennifer and Corey because of her hour glass shape, dark hair, and beauty mark. You would most likely think that skinnier, light haired women sans beauty marks would be less attractive than women who had those features.

Your surroundings add a lot to what you like as a whole. Basically that but like I said before we like individually sometimes what we weren't raised on that is a good thing. :)

• Hmm, I always wondered why babies stare at me.

• I agree, it is subjective. I am a firm believer that a person can be the ultimate definition of beautiful, the world would think that person is beautiful. But if they are a mean, terrible person, to me, they are not attractive at all. The reverse is also true. A person can be...not so attractive on the outside, but they can have the most lovely personality & be so kind & endearing that I think they are extremely attractive.

Sorry, but babies don't know crap.

• I totally AGREE. Sometimes I see good looking guy's/ Girl's with not so attractive partners. But who know's maybe they like there personality.

• I disagree. I am the perfect example of it. I am extremely ugly, and people tell me I am ugly. I am thin, but my face is very ugly. My mom even tells me my face is ugly. I have a womans body but a mans face.

• I agree. But there are also people that the majority will think are unattractive/attractive.

Like if my sister and me are watching something on t.v. She say's about one of the girls on the show "she's pretty" And most of the time I think the girl is pretty. Same with a friend or other family member. We could be talking about someone and they could say "this girl is very pretty" then I meet that person and she is. The majority will probably think Jessica Alba is attractive. There are some people who will not find her attractive and some people who will find her alright (as phoenix said) but for the most part people probably agree that she is pretty.

I'll be talking to a friend and she will be talking about her ex boyfriends new girlfriend. I ask her if she is pretty and she says yes. Then I see the ex boyfriend and his new girlfriend together and the girl is pretty. Or we could all be in a group talking about someone and one girl will say she is bitchy but pretty and then all of us (give or take one person) will say yeah she is pretty.

So yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder to a certain extent. Personality (I know you said not to include this but it really does determine a lot of things) Plays a huge role on a persons physical attractiveness. Take an OK looking guy with a great sense of humor and a great personality and most likely he will become more physically attractive to you. I met a guy who I thought was OK looking, nothing great but when I got to know him I started thinking he was like the hottest guy I ever met even though people were saying to me he's OK, he's not that great looking, etc. I was like this dude is amazing looking to me. So in that sense yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder. People also like different things styles, features etc. But just judging solely on physical appearance the majority will agree that the person is either attractive/unattractive/or OK looking. A few will disagree and think that person is attractive when the majority said they are unattractive or a few will disagree and think a person is unattractive when the majority said they are attractive. But when personality comes into play. Everything changes and people start to have a preference for certain features that their boyfriend/girlfriend have.

If any of that makes sense. Sorry for the novel lol.