Why do bras that exaggerate bust exist...?

Topic for the day from my other half and myself... Of course it seems obvious... Guys like big boobs (supposedly) and they make your boobs appear bigger. But what is the point in this?

Would the guy not be taken in then realize Oh they're not actually big and just be disappointed with an awkward moment? As for a confidence booster... same issue? Sure you'd be confident when they know no better, but if you had to take your bra off you'd be freaking out because you'd be so worried they'd notice the difference?

Which leaves really only a few other reasons, Comfort? Wasn't really brought up earlier, but I don't think it'd make a difference?

Anywho I'll let you have your say and possibly knit pick it to bits. Thanks anyway. :)

Most Helpful Girl

• Women do a lot to look good though there is crossing the line. I myself refuse to get the bombshell bra, I won't even get a fake tan. I wouldn't want to wear the bra because of the reason above and I would be insulted if a guy told me to wear one, that is almost as bad as being asked to get implants!

What Girls Said 33

• My boyfriend has this same issue with them, he has no clue why I would wear them. I am a 32A and I was always friends with guys through school who would notice a girl's boobs and then try to estimate the size. I was always commented on for my flat chest.

Girls grow up being told women have breasts, guys have d***s. But guys who have small d***s don't have the embarrassment of everyone knowing how small they are all the time. The people I don't understand - my friend who is a 36DD who has a long-term boyfriend feeling the need to enhance them.

I don't wear them for comfort, some gel bras are very uncomfortable and leave my breasts with a weird kinda stickiness if I wear them too long but it does improve my confidence a lot especially round bigger girls who always get their boobs commented on.

I know this is quite different but you hear of women who lose a lot of confidence when they have breast cancer if they get part of it removed, I've heard some say they feel less of a woman, well not to such an extent but sometimes with small chests DO feel less of a woman.

• Meh Guys always get slated for it, even if you're not small for a guy they don't know and just assume you would because of your personality or body build... It's like if you're too thin you have a small penis, if you're too muscular you're on steroids and therefore have a small penis (despite testis size only being affected by steroid use?)

• I don't really wear them often, but I have. Many times its not to increase the breast size for me, but because they often make my boobs, which are quite big, look a bit perkier than non-padded bra's do. I think its also because so much emphasis these days are put on breasts, so women with smaller breasts feel less feminine I suppose. I don't really see a problem with it, many guys say breast size doesn't matter, if that's really the case it won't matter that you've gone for a girl who wears a push up bra, only to discover her boobs aren't as big as you think they were. The question should be, why does it matter?

• It's been impossible for me to avoid them since I don't buy expensive bras. I own a couple, they're obviously not all like the crazy dramatic lifts like the ones you'd find in victoria secret, but its a lift regardless.

They feel great on my boobs. I find that regular bras don't really give me the support I need. With other bras my breasts still go all over the place if I'm out being active-- and when I'm not on winter break I'm pretty active. Sure, the top of my breasts do move around a bit but everything else is held in place. You have no idea how great that feels. It's like... having boobs without having to deal with the pain of having them.

My breasts are a prize anyways. If you're going to be disappointed, that's plain disappointing. I'd much rather expose them to someone a little more accepting and will gladly take them elsewhere.

• You are right, it just makes you look like you have more stuff and it also enhances cleavage. Some girls may not have much cleavage because their boobs are far apart. Even if they have big boobs. I used to have that problem, I am a wide person, with wide shoulders and my boobs are farther apart than normal. Doesn't look bad, just when I buy bra's, it's noticeable. But I don't wear push up bras. My boobs have filled out since then, but some people also buy them for support. Someone who is bigger may want their boobs pushed up a big. I know with mine, it can make me look like I have no waist because my boobs are so big. My waist is high, just under my ribs, so my boobs often make it look like I am just a blob :P

With a bra tho, it props everything into place and you can look fabulous. It's just like any other garment a girl would wear, like a corset, or spanx. Just helps shape and hide the things a girl doesn't like and helps with confidence.

But I totally understand what you are saying. It might be shocking for some guys because a lot of guys think that some of the Victoria's Secret models have big boobs. When in fact, its some creative padding and push up bras that exaggerate what they have. Not saying they don't look great, but it's just one of those visual tricks :P

For comfort, not really. At least not in my case. My boobs are big enough that they will fall out of a regular cup :S So ya, its not something I would wear for comfort. Some people might, because the extra padding helps hide nipples when you are cold. Some girls are self-conscious about that.

• Pushup bras, girdles, spanx, all of that is pretty much the same as makeup, hair dye, perfume, etc. Its all about making improvements to the point where we feel comfortable and confident. Its about looking our best.

I don't look the same as when I wear makeup, without it. Same as I don't look the same when I wear a pushup bra, or any kind of bra for that matter (Im pretty chesty). I know men who are more in their mid 20's have become accustomed to all the things that women do to boost their confidence. The thing is, when these things are used normally, you aren't going to get something completely unexpected. Meaning, a girdle won't take a 300 pound girl and make her look like she's 120 pounds. Same thing, a pushup bra won't take an A cup girl and make her look like she's a full C- unless se adds in falsies and padding to the max, in which case she is in the minority. Most girls add in things here and there to enhance her appearance. It includes high heels, makeup, etc. You can't really escape it.

• I totally get where you're coming from and really take this into consideration when I pick out my bras. basically it all boils down to the fact that guys are biologically programmed to be attracted to large breasts. It's not their fault, it's just how evolution works. So, when you do where a push up bra, you get all this positive attention from guys, which is in itself a confidence booster. Like I'm a 32B. My boobs aren't very big, but I'm kind of small framed (size 0-2ish) so they are right for my body... but sometimes clothes just look and feel more sexy with a different bra. I do have one that makes me look like possibly a c, or at least a fuller b. I wear that when I go out on dates, to clubs, when I have to dress up for some reason etc. for everything else I just wear ones that are slightly padded. I would never wear one of my really padded ones in a situation where I thought a guy might be feeling my boobs at any point, but I also wouldn't feel embarassed if he did. Wearing those bras makes me feel sexier regardless of what he thinks, so I have more confidence and am therefore more attractive to these guys. victoria's secret makes a kind of ridiculous one that goes up two whole cup sizes that I tried once, but it felt waaay too padded and didn't look real on me (I am not meant to have d cup boobs lol). I've always been under the impression that any guy who has a naked girl in front of him or gets the opportunity to have a handful of breasts probably won't care too much how big they really are or accuse me of false advertising... and if they are that shallow I probably don't want to date them anyway. I love my boobs, I can have orgasms from my nipples alone. any guy that doesn't appreciate how awesome they are isn't worth my time :)

• Biologically I hate big breasts :L But you're right, any guy who is so shallow about appearance (Even though I'm certain I'm shallow, just not in a blond barbie manor) isn't worth your time.

• Yea everyone has a physical appearance they tend to gravitate towards. Doesn't mean you're shallow... you just know what you like and are attracted to. Girls do that too... but guys don't really have the equivalent of a push up bra to help them meet the standards :P

• The point is to have people notice them. The purpose of them is not only for "closed door purposes" but to grab attention from people or to look better in their outfit. The lift definitely helps perk up the boobs, but there's not HUGE difference in the increase of size. I would feel more embarrassed using the gel bra pads to make flat chested girls look like they have boobs since you mentioned if girls would be embarrassed if guys notice the difference.

Oh and comfort... I personally hate wearing bras. I only wear them to be polite (I wouldn't want people to notice I'm braless at my work and whatnot). I take them off as soon as I get home. It makes the world's difference when you guy those high end bras though for comfort. Otherwise, those target bras will just have to do.

• Depends what type I suppose, the type my other half was looking at looked about two cup sizes bigger when it was made for her size... She said she didn't understand it and that it's bizarre, I of course agree. :P

• Pretty much everyone tries to look their best, or even better, when they go out. That's why girls wear makeup, fake hair, fake nails, etc. A flat-chested girl might go out with a push-up bra because it will make her overall appearance look better.

I understand the second paragraph, but still, first impressions are really what counts the most. Push-up bras don't make a drastic difference, they just add an effect. I wear a girdle when I go out certain places or on dates simply because I want to look good.

• I agree completely. Honestly, push up bras don't make a super drastic difference. They really just emphasize what's already there. It's not like wearing a new set of boobs, it's just "pushing up" the ones you already have.

• Silly question, but what's a girdle?

• It's a thing that sucks in your stomach/gut. They're also called waist-clinchers.

• some places like victorias secret only sell push-ups. well the majority of bras they sell are push-ups, so even if you don't wear push-ups normally you may end up buying one just so you can get out of the store :p but it does give girls confidence when they have normal sized boobs :p

• I don't get the confidence thing... I'd know more guys who like smaller boobs than big boobs. I mean any guy who loves big boobs must have the IQ of a peanut.

• it makes girls feel like they have the perfect body which does give you confidence :p

• men are visual creatures. I didn't think I'd have to tell you that.

• They may be visual, but they don't like to be lied to.

• I already wrote about that and why that still makes no sense... Yes they'd look bigger but if it were to get physical you're more screwed than you were...

• dude, it's not lying, it's making our boobs look nice. It's not like we put a neon sign on our shirt saying, MY TITS ARE HUGE. Most push up bras don't even make girl's boobs look that much bigger. Plus, if some girl took off her bra, and you had full access to her boobs, I don't think you'd be thinking about whether she was wearing a push up or not.

• I always feel like guys just want my body and not me. I already have big boobs, but padded push ups show them off more. I get called "hot" a lot or sexy, when I'd rather be called pretty. I feel like guys notice me more for my boobs. I don't know if I should not wear revealing clothes or wear clothes that cover them up. I want attention from guys and I want them to like me for me and not for my body. I try approaching guys and talking to them, but mostly, I just get rejected or ignored. it always makes me feel like I'm not pretty or not good enough for them. I wanna be confident and not sound desperate, even though I am desperate. I just want a cute, sweet, caring, smart and funny guy to hold, love, cuddle, kiss, talk to, listen and hang out with me a lot. I always end up texting them too much after they're not replying to my texts. I really need help and as much of it as I can get on how to be confident, how to talk to guys, how to not make myself seem desperate, even though I am, how to flirt with, how to get a guy to go on dates, really care about me and get a boyfriend. help?

• I completely agree. I've got relatively small boobs so I can never find bras without padding. What annoys me most about it is that it implies that there's something wrong with small boobs and that everyone who has them wants bigger boobs. >:(

• I have one push-up bra that I wear to special fancy events. If I'm going to go all out to look my best, I might as well make sure my boobs are at their best as well. But I'm already a 32C which is a decent size so I wouldn't wear a push-up bra on any other day.

I think most girls wear it as a confidence booster. They don't intend to show every guy they meet their boobs, so why not let them think they're big and get that little boost from getting noticed?

• I don't get why they would not intend to show their boobs yet try to enhance them... It's like saying here is something cool, but no you're never getting that...

• Well, when girls are at school I doubt they intend to flash every guy there. The same goes for when they're in public. Out of all the guys a girl would encounter on a daily basis, slim to none of them would ever see her boobs. Therefore, she enhances them so the guys that will never touch her will at least look at her.

• eh, I don't think there would be an awkward moment because that guy obviously has an ultimate goal on his mind and I don't think that would be his main concern. Also, the more support the less stretch marks. That's my ultimate goal. That and it makes my shirts fit better.

• Well I have a few but they don't lift to the chin like Marisa Miller's bras...they are just there to ..hmm just there...an added lift but not 2inches of padding...some girls over do it without thinging that they won't always have a bra on...they exist because some ladies don't have large boobs and go out and buy the ridiculous things..just life

• False advertising. They're good in a situation where a girl is just doing out to a club and wants to look a bit better and get more attention, BUT isn't planning on hooking up with anyone. Because then who would know if they never see her without the bra? Nobody. I don't wear them just because I do feel like they're false advertising and I don't wanna meet a guy , and then start to hook up with him, and have to throw my five pound padded bra on the floor LOL. I had one padded bra, but it broke and I don't see the need to buy a new one !

• I get rather irritated when all the decent bras in my size (a 40(sih)D) are padded. I do not need the help. Really. Some padding on the bottom functions as reinforcement/ added support which is entirely nessary with bigger sizes. Though I really try and pick bras that just put them where they should go, not add to them.

I could see padding in smaller sizes being used to give shape to work better with different dresses/shirts/etc. Different bras work in different clothing scenarios.

And yes, padded bras can be more comfortable if the padding puts more divide between you and the wiring.

I'm not a big fan of padding for the sake of padding. Its a beauty cheat people have every right to use, but as your mentioned the disapointing moment- *going in for the touch annnnd--fabric...wah wah*

yeah...

• i used to want to wear push ups because they made me feel better about myself.. so ya for me it was bad self esteem issues and I felt like I needed them to feel better about myself.. now I hate them haha. my self esteem's muuuuuch better and I love myself much more :) hope I helped.

• I have never had this problem.. But a few of my friends do.. They no they have small boobs and they don't really care they embrace it. But when we go out, they like to lift and make them appear a bit bigger but come on guys should no when a girl is wearing a push up... (at least most men no) either way I just think most smaller chest girls wear for when they go out not something daily.

• As a girl. I dislike push up bras myself. Why are you trying to pretend something is there when it isn't? And what's with girls with big boobs wearing push up bras? Do they want them to cover their face? I think they wear them because they are trying to get attention and some want to fill out a little more. That's all I got dude!

• You obviously don't have big boobs do you?

Padded push-up bras give more support in general and lifts more than non-padded, plus it offers more nipple protection for those with large nipples that shows through padded bras; don't hate on other girls just because you're blessed with something they lack.

• I think most of girls like to make their figures better to delight themselves. Sometimes they don't do it for guys. They do it for comparing with other girls. Girls usually know the fact that if a guy loves you he will love you no matter what you look like. If a girl wants to get attention of the the boy who she felt attractive,She will show him the best part of her, not just her body curves. Would you love a girl just because she has a bigger boobs than others?

• Nah big boobs repulse me though... If her breasts were too big it would make me feel a bit odd (hard to explain)

• im already 38DD. I'm trying to reduce not make them look bigger lol. I guess they are made because those women who are A cups and don't have anything uptop want to make it look like they do

• It's not like you're sleeping with every guy that sees you in a push-up bra :l

• I know, but it's a sexualising product... It's like why make your breasts look bigger if you never have an intention of letting the guy near them... To get with a guy, you'd not want a relationship with actual nor sexual? To me that still defies logic :P

• They make women with smaller boobs feel better about themselves.

• It's simple they exist because the companies make great money off of push up bras. I mean think about it girls think all guys like big boobs right? So push up bras make girls feel more confident since they think they should have big boobs something that these types of bras help to enhance.

• As I said, guys might like big boobs, but it's not big boobs is it... It's a bra...

• Maybe they just like the way their boobs look in it I don't know I don't wear stuff like that.

• I say because it makes you feel sexy. Not because it makes your boobs look bigger, but because it draws more attention to that area so they will more likely be noticed. At least that's my reason for wanting an extreme push up bra, lol.

• i don't hv a push up bra but I think it has to do with insecurrity and confidence

• I've never had to worry lol I would say it's nice to feel noticed and to get noticed

• your question seems to be based on the fact that guys like big boobs, but would be disappointed when they notice the boobs werent as big as he thought they were. But the real reason is that most of the stuff women wear is because we like it. You're not gonna get everything we do, some women like the silhouette they get from pushup bras so they wear them. That's why they exist

• More from Girls
    3

What Guys Said 8

• I know I like smaller boobs. They are so cute! I just wish girls wouldn't feel so insecure about this because I know a lot of guys that actually prefer a smaller chest.

• Because most guys like bigger boobs, and women want to make their breasts look bigger. It's kind of like if there was something that a guy could wear to make his muscles look bigger, he'd want to wear it to attract more girls because girls like a strong looking guy.

• i agree it works in the short term but what then and not just braws either corsetts and stuff to

• Probably to make boobs look bigger.

• To mislead you.

• It's to get noticed. The guy isn't gonna run off when your boobs are smaller than he thought at first glance... The classic bait and switch ;)

• It's probably best for those occassions where the girl wants attention but doesn't plan on actually getting them out. Might not be the best for a date situation for the reasons you mentioned.

Having said that, I think most guys who would really care are reasonably good at judging how much of the visual effect is due to the bra and how much to the boobs underneath.

• because woman are insecure about their breast size and they want to enhance (lie) about how big their boobs are. When they are young the bully each other about having small boobs when other girls are developing them in puberty so it sticks in their mind that they need to have big breasts. So just like guys with small cocks that buy penis enhancing pills and other gimmick products to give them a confidence boost girls do the same thing to get that same confidence boost and to hide that insecurity.

• Suppose it makes a bit more sense when it's between girls who will possibly not see it's all smoke and mirrors...

• He has a point. Imagine a world where guys are forced to wear skin-tight speedos EVERYWHERE; work, school, fancy parties. Now the only thing between your **** and the surrounding environment is a thin piece of material that barely holds it in place - every time you get excited or cold everyone will notice, and I mean EVERYONE. Then, in this world, they give you an option to wear a jock strap, not bad eh? Then some genius invents a jockstrap that gives just a bit more padding/protection...

• They don't sell jockstraps in shops here, you'd probably have to order it. Wouldn't bother anyway sound like a weird ass invention to me...