Do you think the way a girl dresses reflects her maturity level?

okay so I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I'm 16 and a few years ago I was into the white bubly jacket/vest thing and uggs (for winter). and now I don't really wear a winter coat, I kind of just wear a hoodie.

a couple days ago, I bumped into one of my guy friends who I Haven't seen in four years and I was surprised at how grown up he looked. he was wearing an adult jacket. not a hodded sweatshirt that a lot of guys at my school wear. I can't really tell you the style because I don't remember exactly how it looked. But, I do remember that he looked very grown up.

this is what got me thinking; do I look less mature because I wear a hooded sweatshirt out? so, I went out and bought a more adult/grown up jacket.

what do you think? would a girl look less mature depending on her outerware? or do you think it just depends on the person who is looking at her?

Most Helpful Girl

• well we always judge people on things like that when we first see them,but it doesn't always mean that that impression is right-i'm pretty mature (well at least 70% of the time I am) and here's what I wore the other day:huge yellow dr martens,dark green pants,and a black t-shirt with a dragon on the side lol

What Guys Said 5

• Yes. Usually it seems that the way a person dresses seems to match their personality and taste, and the maturity level often overlaps it too. This goes for both sexes.

Everybody wears a hooded sweatshirt. I don't think that would make you look any less mature. Unless it had something tacky or childish printed on it.

• Yes, why else do we dress up for interviews?

One day I was wearing a black button down shirt with some nice jeans and dress shoes and my friends friend and I were talking and he asked me what am I getting my masters in?

And my ego shot up!

Here I am a sophomore in college being asked about his masters work.

While if I am in sweat pants a hoodie and sneakers people think I'm 17-18

Obviously maturity does play a role but for the sake of argument lets say they are the same.

The way you look represents who you are.

Whether or not judging is okay people still do it. And even when people can't or don't judge they do a little bit.

Look at all the CEO's and people in media.

When do you see them wearing hoodies and sweats?

They're always rocking suits for important meetings

I always try to look nice cause that's just how I am. I like to present myself in a positive manner.

• Can you put a picture with a similar piece of clothing please?

Yes, I do assess maturity over clothes.

• I never really taught about this.

We don't pay that much attention about deep details what the girl is wearing rather than what's underneath it.

• No, I don't think how one dresses defines maturity level. That's called stereotyping/being shallow

• If a full-grown man wears a superman costume on a daily basis, given that it's not for work or a party, there is a high chance that he is immature.

• Or that he likes wearing a superman costume. Maybe he's one of the smartest maturest guys you will have ever met, you missy, have just stereotyped. That's IMMATURE!

What Girls Said 9

• I definitely think it makes a difference. If you look like you care about how you look and your clothes reflect that then of course you're going to come off as more mature. But just because someone looks mature on the outside, doesn't mean they are on the inside.

• Yes, how one dresses does tend to show a level of maturity and age. Do you remember how in history class everyone wore grey wigs to appear older? However, today one is expected to dress their age as well. There is only one time in your life that you can wear what you can wear now, so don't try to grow up too fast. Wear what you like now and worry about wearing the 'grown up' clothing when you get there. :)

• Somewhat. However, I dress differently depending on how I am feeling that day. Some days I dress all grown up in sweaters and peacoats. Other days I will wear a tank top, hoodie and jeans. Some other days I wear lacy tops and boots. When I go out to the bars, I wear club clothes usually. It depends on how I feel that day and what I am doing.

• yeah I know what you mean. obviously if you're "mature" that doesn't mean you can never throw on a hoodie anymore. but, I just don't want people to think that the way I dressed reflects my maturity level. because it doesn't at all. especially because I was wear one every single day. but thank you :)

• I am saying that I don't think the two are directly connected.

• I have to say yes and no.

For example, when I go to work I dress in business appropriate clothing, which makes me look more like an adult and probably more mature. When I'm out in public I dress in clothing that is trendy for young adults, so I might look as mature as a college student. When I'm at home I wear yoga pants and sweatshirts, which probably doesn't look very mature at all. However, I hold the same level of maturity no matter what my clothes look like.

• Yes but that's only until the person in question starts talking. For example I'm 16 and in winter I'd typically wear high heeled knee high boots, a turtle neck, a well fitting flowy mini- skirt, tights, a fitted trench coat with a wool scarf and I don't wear very much eyeliner (the eye liner is a big deal if you look at most 16 year old girls they tend to wear too much black eyeliner) dressed like this I look 18-25 but if people over hear me talking about literature they assume I am older but if the hear me talking about my parents not letting me go to the movies they will assume I'm younger. But if you saw me in a floppy sweater, jeans and uggs I'll look 16. I think it's not really how mature a person is its more about the age the person looks.

• I think it really depends on the style and color of it.

• yes, the way a girl dresses reflects her maturity level.Different girl will have different dressing taste.

• Not always I think its the outfit plus personality...

You can get a 16 year old a 22 and a 26 in the same outfit and they might Even look the same age like all look 22 but you will only notice their age when you hear them talking...

• no not at all.