Why are so many people grossed out by body hair?

I mean most people are trying to get rid of it, why is that?

Is it because of the media?

To be as hairless as possible is the best?

I just started wondering.

Most Helpful Guy

• F*** the media, I'm keeping my hair.

What Guys Said 7

• im not, just depends where and how much.

I have chest hair but not a lot or anything, and I don't think people are grossed out.

even for women, it depends where, and how much, then again, I think the only place acceptable by media and most standards in the sacred area. With that, not even a bush.

• I wonder as well. No one worried about this a few years ago...Do we want to look like store mannequins?

• I'm not grossed out by body hair so much as I want it kept under control. Just like your head of hair body hair should be groomed, too. I like to keep my chest out trimmed to where it's not a wild forest but you can still run you fingers across it. The same for my man parts.

• Eh. Some ethnicities tend to have less hair than others, and somewhere down the line, that clean complexion became a symbol for beauty. The people with hairy genetics feel pressured to live up to that symbol.

• its clearly not the media seeing how we used to have fur and as a species we selectively breded it out and now we only have hair in a few places

• Totally baffled...I like hair...I have all of mine...wife shaves legs & armpits but not her pubes...like a lot of northerners, she does not shave as much in the winter...(:

• I think part of it is the media. Personally, for me, it is a matter of comfort. In the summer time when it is warmer ou,t I run almost every single day and when I sweat my body hair gets matted down and it does give off a little bit of a smell. So I shave it during the warmer seasons and then once it gets colder, I let it grow out.

What Girls Said 8

• I don't understand it either. Women usually don't shave nowadays in European countries, unless they're prostitutes.

• I like my men hairy because I think it's a sign of manliness. For that same reason I like to keep myself hairless, I think excess body hair is manly and I prefer my body to look feminine.

• to me it "crawls" my blood... like nails on a chalkboard kinda thing... I feel upset if I see it...

• I blame the media and tradition, personally. You'll notice there are hair removing products tied with ads telling you you'll feel better and more beautiful without body hair. Beside this is the traditional idea that women ought to be hairless because this is 'feminine' while men are hairy and 'macho'.

My sister says applying lotion after waxing or shaving helps prevent in grown hair, and my mom suggests using exfoliating scrubs to get rid of existing ones

• It reminds me of those stone age people and, when I was around 12 and getting all that hair, I was ashamed that I was going into puberty, it was embarassing for me and I wanted to hide signs of that being true. So I shaved of all my hair on my body, exept for my head of course.

• to me it doesn't have any connection to the media, I just feel dirty somehow

• For me it is a personal thing. I don't like hair on my body except on my head, eyelashes, and eyebrows. Even my eyebrows can't be too hairy lol.

• yep, the media is to blame for hairlessness

• I think it's influenced by the media a lot. I wish more people were less grossed out by it. It's natural. At the same time, it's nice to be hairless once in a while. I just don't think people should think it's gross.