"All Bodies are Good Bodies"

There is a picture on Facebook going around called "All bodies are Good bodies", and its a picture of 5 women, with different body shapes. I feel like its telling women its okay to be really skinny, or overweight, and its telling us to embrace these extremes. It's a bit frustrating.

Your thoughts?

sorry, I should of added a link

link

Most Helpful Girl

• The girl next to the girl with all the tattoos may be comfortable with her body but being comfortable with her body won't help her when she faces a bunch of health issues due to the body she's so proud of. It wouldn't kill the other bigger girl to lose some weight for health reasons either.

I get the point, you should be proud of your body and everyone is beautiful and blah blah blah, that's all fine as long as you're healthy. Being super skinny isn't healthy and neither is being fat. What people need to do is stop telling obese people to love themselves and tell them to watch what they eat and join a gym, not because they're not beautiful but because they're eating their way to an early grave. On the flip side if you're too skinny you need to go see a therapist, get your issues sorted out, and eat a sandwich. I also find it interesting that they didn't put an anorexic girl in the picture because that's clearly unhealthy but they did put an obese girl in the picture...both are equal unhealthy. They put a skinny girl in there but she doesn't look sickly to me.

What Guys Said 8

• "All bodies are Good bodies"

it's NOT telling us to embrace these extremes. It's telling you don't have to conform to the model image in the ads. Indeed, "All bodies are Good bodies": link

• All Bodies are Good Bodies ... to someone

just like all art may not be for everyone but ideal to someone

• I understand what they are trying to convey, but extremes are just not healthy. I know I sound like a jerk, but the message is just not realistic. If it were true, why is/are Subway, gyms, dietetians, and personal trainers still around?

• That obese girl can lose the weight, as can the pre-obese girl.

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the extremes can have health risks. Just be who you want to be and nothing else matters.

• Yes, I totally agree with the beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but like you said the extremes have health risks.

• but so does everything else in the world really. Just some health risks are more talked about.

• Or it might just be like a hanes ad haha

• The girl on the far right is sexy.

• Maybe the tattooed woman is considered curvy. link

• It sounds like they just want to make everybody happy.

What Girls Said 7

• I get what you're saying but I think its good. Too many young girls are having eating disorders these days from seeing models and celebrities all over the TV screen with perfect bodies. I don't think that's an excuse for obesity though. Everyone can obtain the body they want, they just need to work hard for it. I can see how the picture is good and bad. I want girls to know that they're normal no matter what body type they are but at the same time I don't want girls to think that being fat is okay and healthy.

• You can't help your body shape. as long as you are not underweight/emaciated or overweight/obese then you should embrace your body type. all bodies can be beautiful. I hate that girls have low self esteem based on other ppls standards

• I agree that all healthy bodies are good bodies, but like you say, a body that is extremely overweight or underweight is unhealthy. It's good to encourage self-confidence and to start realizing that a size zero isn't a good or even realistic expectation, but obesity and its side-effects kill, too.

• No being unhealthy is not good. Like other people said the message the pic is trying to convey is nice but it's not true. Obese is not healthy. Anorexic is not healthy. It's not only the aesthetics we are talking about it's also the fact that anorexic/obese people are at risk of dying from a serious health issue related to their weight, so although the pic is sending a good message "extremes" as everyone is calling them are not good.

• No it makes people happy and feel better, in a society so full of standards and depression why is that so bad? I see nothing wrong with that picture/phrase. It will never keep up to the pressures and insecurities people face in their lives so I see it doing more good than bad (if any).

• You see nothing wrong with people being overweight?

• Im saying this picture will have no significant effect on people thinking its OK to be fat compared to the pressures from society to be thin, it will have a negligible effect on making some small amount of people feel a little happier about themselves, they are not alone. The picture is harmless.

• well look,i don't find the extremes attractive,and sure they're not healthy,but if someone thinks that they look better underweight,and they like being like that-i won't hate them,it's their body,and yes,it's a good body because they like it.

• It is a little frustrating, but I can see where they are coming from. They want people to know they can be happy in their own skin. but then again, women (and men) need to see how being too skinny and being obese is unhealthy and dangerous. You should love yourself enough to see how unhealthy you're living and change it. Not everyone has to have the perfect figure, but you should want to be healthy. :)