Why do people seem to assume I'm stupid by the way I dress/ look?

I normally look pretty girly: I wear girlie colors often (like white, cream, light pink, purple, floral etc..), I wear heels almost daily, carry a handbag, I always have clean and neatly done hair, always wear perfume, painted nails, eye make up like this: link but a bit more natural looking, I have a pretty/ above average face and a average body, dark brown hair, hazel eyes, fair skin, 5 foot 1, tone, small/ medium bust, larger hips/ass, small waist, flat stomach, short legs. A normal outfit for me would be white skinny jeans, pale purple tank top, white cardigan with wedge heels or dark blue skinny jeans, pale pink top, floral scarf with wedge heels. I used to look different I used to have red/ purple hair, wear all black and dark colors, dark eye make up, clean but messy hair, wore heels, perfume, dressed pretty much the same but all in dark colors. Now that I dress girlie people just expect me to be really dumb, it makes no sense to me how does the color scheme of your clothing have anything to do with your intellect? It is starting to get really annoying because not only are people deciding how smart I am but my whole personality and then they start being rude to me before I even get the chance to show them what I am actually like. For example the other day there were three girls and I overheard them talking about movies I like (they were dressed how I used to dress) I look at them and I was going to go and start talking to them but then they look me up and down (looking at what I was wearing), sinker and say oh god. Guys seem to like how I dress but girls seem to have issues with it. Is the way I dress really that bad?

Most Helpful Guy

• The people judging you are dumb, not you. They think you have to look a certain way to fit into their little sterotype of what a type of person looks like. I get this a lot. People will not believe I am the son of a doctor or that I am final year engineer student because they assume an engineer = a white scrawny dude, with glasses. My mom is brown and she would go to the beach and always have a book. Once a stupid lady came up to her and acted like OMG you are brown and you READ! Congratulations!

What Guys Said 3

• ARE YOU DUMB? PEOPLE DON'T EXPECT YOU TO BE ANYTHING BUT YOURSELF...CLOTHING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR INTELLECT...HOWEVER, CLOTHING MAY HAVE A LOT TO DO WITH YOUR SELF IMAGE...IT ISN'T WHAT YOU WEAR THAT PEOPLE NOTICES...IT IS HOW YOU PERCEIVE YOURSELF...IF YOU BELIEVE YOU ARE DUMB, THEN YOU ARE DUMB...DON'T BLAME IT ON THE CLOTHES YOU ARE WEARING.

• I don't think I am dumb and I am not dumb, I don't know what universe you are living in but people always expect you to be how they judged you not who you are because majority of the time they have no clue.

• ya know why they make brooms? to brush the haterz off.

youre like awe-some.

• People who judge a person on basis of what they are wearing are too narrow minded,you are free to wear anything which is not obscene

What Girls Said 5

• Girls are jealous. Heaven forbid a woman look feminine and pretty. Oh noes she must be an idiot, bitch, slut,and any other negative thing I can think of. it's called JEALOUSY. You're attractive and they're mad they don't look as good or can't get a girl like u

• You're being stereotyped. If that's how you like to dress and its you then brush them off and don't worry about it. Prove them wrong.

• stereotypes. they also probably think you're trying too hard,that you're trying to get guys,they don't like it when guys pay attention to anyone but them. let it go,they're the stupid ones.

• No, the way you dress isn't bad. I love dressing girly, but I'm asian, everyone just assumes I'm smart. I've never had your problem. It would definitely suck to be judged by your outer appearance.

www.forevernew.com.au. I think that's Australia's best girlie store. I buy everything literally from there.

• people are stupid and make assumptions. especially girls. they are probably just jealous