Do guys tend to go for a pretty face rather than a pretty personality?

It's been said that guys like girls for beauty, not for their personality, that guys put looks first and personality second. What do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• Look at it this way. Your looks are your sales pitch. If you expect a guy to approach you out of the blue knowing NOTHING about you other than how you look, then your looks are going to be the deciding factor. Because really, what's his motivation to approach you at this point?

HOWEVER...

Let's assume he met you through a friend and you hung out a lot before as a result. This changes things.

Your personality is what he develops feelings for but your looks are what reels him in in the first place. But you can get around that if your looks aren't all that by simply choosing to meet your men in venues where they get to sample your personality a lot, such as hanging out with mutual friends, or even online. I know a guy who met his fiancee on Xbox Live after she kicked his ass on COD: Modern Warfare 2 =)

What Guys Said 15

• Honest Answer?

A great personality is really nice regardless of what you look like.

But this also means that it's nice regardless of gender as well.

When I want to surround myself with great personalities, I get some really chill guys and go fishing or something.

When I want to have physical or romantic relations with the woman, I'm seeking something I can't get from a group of cool guys. I need a pretty face and a sexy body to match. Only that can provide the fulfillment that's specific to this form of male-female interaction.

And if she looks great and has a great personality as well, awesome.

But if I can only have one, I'll have to settle for the pretty face.

• I don't think any guy goes for just one of those. Everybody is looking for a pretty face and a great personality. For me personally the whole package has to be considered. So I wouldn't side for a pretty face and sh*tty personality over a little bit less attractive girl with a great personality.

I think in general though, guys tend to value attractiveness more than personality, but both are important.

• i go for both, it can be just one or the other, it needs to be both for me relationship wise.

• The initial attraction for anyone is always going to be looks and physique, because that's the first thing we see... But if a relationship is going to last (or even get started) we have to be attracted to the persons personality as well. Some people can get by for the first week, month or even year(s) before they realize the person just isn't right for them... Other times you can chat to someone and realize straight away they're just not on your wavelength! lol

So looks and physique can be the initial attraction, but personality is always more important in the long term, because that's what make people compatible and enjoy each others company.

Of course, sometimes it can just depend on the guy (or girl) as to which they see as more important, but those that choose looks are generally younger, shallow and are more than likely looking for short term relationships etc... Someone looking for a serious relationship would prioritise personality over looks (although that's not to say looks & attraction aren't important! lol).

I hope that all makes sense! lol :o)

• not neccesarily. I look for a pretty face first then ill approach her if she's a bitch than ill say peace out and if she has a nice personaity ill like her. but yes a pretty face atrracts me to the girl so ill go talk to her

• I like both but I prefer personality first! She is nothing without a good personality. Its like reading a GREAT book with no words :/

• Both are important. Pretty face is what initially attracts guys, but a good personality is what makes them stay.

• yes I'm sorry to say it but it is true guy always look for a pretty face even now usually I flirt with girls I ik and I always try and listen but if I see a pretty face I'm going for it

• I slightly put looks before personality but if she's like a complete bitch then I refuse to even deal with her.

• For a hookup, they go for looks, for friendship, personality, for a relationship, both.

• Well I think personality is way more important. Looks do do a good job of attracting guys, but if the personality isn't there, then you can forget it! Don't get me wrong, looks are a bonus if a girl has them, but you don't fall in love with their looks, you fall in love with their personality. Hope I helped :)

• Not where I'm from,personality is important,looks are part of it but it's all dependent on the guy.According to me,personality first to allow me to be your friend then the facials later .Otherwise most men go for the facials and looks to drive them crazy enough.

• Define pretty personality, because lots of women told me how they have great personalities and they really didn't, not even close.

• yes, you should see that as a blessing, good thing

• the guys that girls like? yeah they go for best looks

What Girls Said 4

• Ignore anon. All guys are different however I think it's safe to say that most guys will go for a nice balance of both. No one wants a butterface but also no one wants one of the stereotypical bitches that makes them pay for everything and drags them around and snaps at them like some kind of puppy to get their attention.

However what an ugly face is varies from guy to guy so that part depends. I'd focus more on personality because that's what's going to win awards. Too many girls (especially in your age range) don't get what a good girlfriend or a good person is so really narrow in and make sure that you are the best person you can be.

• yes

• Guys go for the whole package. :)

• No, they go for easy