Do you think it's ethical to wear fur?

And If you buy fur do you think that's a bad thing? I mean, do you think someone would judge you because of something like that?

Just curious.

• It's not ethical
  • Yes it's just fine
  • It depends on the situation: need for clothes

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think that wearing fur is inherently unethical. For example, Inuit groups wear fur clothing for practical reasons, not because it's "trendy" and "fashionable", and they don't just kill the animal for it's fur---they use the whole animal for various things.

But I do think it's unethical to kill animals for the purpose of fashion.

• Thank you

• Not all tribes wear fur for survival. There are tribes in the amazon that kill some of our most beautiful and endangered birds for their feathers that are used for fashion within their tribes. In fact they have a big event of gathering of tribes to show off all the furs and feathers and this is a form of social status for them. Strictly for fashion.

• My example was the Inuit (who live in the arctic regions of Canada).

What Guys Said 9

• It is pfurrrrrfectly fine. The animal is going to die anyways in the wild, so we might as well make some useful item out of the corpse. I don't see how it is any different than killing an animal to eat it. I personally own any furs, but don't mind if others do.

• I mean from sources like farms where sometimes they are skinned alive and left to writh in a pile of warm flesh and fellow minks/foxes/etc etc. That type of thing. Would someone judge you for buying something out of a magazine anyway.

• All animals being killed for slaughter of any kind should be done as quickly and painlessly as possible. I don't believe an animal is on the same footing as a human, but we should kill them with as much compassion as possible. I don't support prolonged torture of any kind when it is avoidable.

• Thank you

• This is one of the few topics that I'm not necessarily militant about, but I disagree with. Fur, to me, is completely unnecessary and I wouldn't be upset if it was done away with. Sure it is sensationalized, manipulating people into thinking animals are skinned alive but I guess since it's mainly just a luxury item, I don't see the real necessity for it.

Kind of a hypocrite myself since I see more use out of leather, but perhaps that is more for it's broader range of uses? I'm not sure, but I just find fur to be unnecessary and I personally wouldn't buy any.

• Sometimes they are..and that makes for a nasty video to happen upon but thank you :) even if you are a hypocrite..kind of

ha

• Yeah, I've seen the vid of the Chinese fur farm and that was honestly disgusting, which doesn't happen easily for me. But otherwise, skinning them alive isn't common because it is more likely to ruin the fur.

And yeah, I don't wear leather for fashion, only for functional clothes lol. But hypocrite nonetheless.

• and by ethical you mean morally correct? I think not

• I voted C, what interests me that 4 girls voted A while women are the largest consumer of such product!

• I love people that think it's bad. If you need some fur to stay alive from freezing to death, so be it. That's the way of the world. Animals kill each other for their resources and we do the same. It's just natural. Now, if you can get away with NOT, than do so. Don't wear fur because of style or crap, that's just dumb imo. Fashion is always dumb.

• Indeed. We kill animals for all kinds of reasons. Heck, we eat all kinds of animals too. I say if we're eating it as well, then it would be a waste not to take the fur. Could make a nice hat, or coat or something.

• Be like the Native Americans and other cultures that would make sure to use all parts of the animal. And I hate when people think "well we should just stop eating animals" as if that solves animal cruelty. It doesn't. Even if humans weren't around there'd ALWAYS be animal cruelty. Yes, we need to punish those who abuse animals, but don't think being a vegetarian will do a damn or fighting against fur is gonna do anything to solve it. Fight against the abuse itself.

• I don't see the issue to be honest. As far as I am concerned it is like wearing anything with leather. But leather has always been associated with the working class, whereas fur is associated with rich people. I suspect class warfare is part of it.

• only if you killed it and ate it

• I wear a leather jacket from time to time. Can't say too much there. While it's not the same, still from an animal. But as for fur, well, not something I'd want to do.

• Animals were put on this earth to be killed by each other us eating a cow is no diferent from a wolf killing a deer I think its perfectly fine

What Girls Said 12

• A lot of real fur that's available comes from dubious sources that tend to use inhumane acts to kill the owner of the fur. Many animals are killed only for their fur. I think that is inappropriate. I've read some of the replies that also mentioned leather. Until everyone stops eating steak, hamburgers, and pork chops, I think leather is here to stay. I wear leather a lot but it's mostly due to the armor factor. Some animals are not killed only for their leather. Their body parts are used mostly for food. I wouldn't be opposed to wearing fake fur though.

• I don't see a problem with fur, I don't like it because I think it looks tacky but if people want to wear it that's fine, I just think it looks ridiculous but as far as ethics go I have no issue. I eat meat at pretty much every meal so I can't really be against people wearing animals.

• I think if you're using the hide of an animal that has other uses (i.e. take the fur/skin from an animal that's being used for meat) then it's okay. Waste not, after all.

But if you are actively poaching animals for the sole use of their fur, when it's completely unnecessary to our survival and whatnot, then yes - I think it's unethical. You're perpetuating process that is inhumane for shallow, superfluous reasons.

• It depends... I think it's ethical if the animals that were being used to make the coat were also being used for their meat. If the animal is used for food and then they also make stuff with the fur I think that's perfectly fine. But if the animal is being killed for its fur and only its fur then I feel it's wrong. You don't need to kill animals to make clothing when there's stuff like cotton around.

• no, not really.

• Perhaps if you found yourself lost in Antartica wearing only a tshirt and the only other promise of warmth was a dead furry animal next to you. I would so skin that to stay alive.

• I don't wear fur but only because I think it looks ridiculous lol, as long as the animal isn't killed for just the fur then I'm okay with it.

• only if it's fake..booyah

• if its fake and people don't know the difference its sending out a message that wearing animal fur is okay... Do you think that's okay?

• No guys voted A... hmm, interesting majority voted C

• i don't care..I wear fur. and I don't care if people judge me because of that. they gonna judge me either way...

• An Eskimo needs the fur to keep warm making it perfectly fine because they are not abusing a resource. A female buying it for fashionable purposes when there are great alternatives is not right.

• i think it's really wrong. I would never wear fur.. ever. I mean cave people obviously had a reason for it, but now? no. I'm a vegetarian, I don't even eat animals, and there is no way id ever wear one..