If the majority of people find a person ugly/beautiful does that make it so?

Let's say there was a poll on some guy or girl to judge how ugly or beautiful they look and the result came out overwhelmingly that they are ugly. Does that mean that person really is Ugly?

Does majority rule in this case?

Most Helpful Girl

• No. I disagree and I will explain why. :)

There are many factors that may create a biased poll. So, did you choose random people to vote or are they friends with that person? Are they of the same ethnicity/race or are they chosen randomly from different backgrounds? I could give you an easy answer, but I am trying to analyze the situation. In order to obtain a semi-accurate result, you must choose people of completely different backgrounds/religion/ethnicity and so on because you might never know the hidden agenda each one holds against that person.

Even if she is gorgeous, those people may vote she is ugly just because they don't like her for example or she isn't in their *league* or she is from a different ethnicity and they are biased to their own ethnic group. People DO carry hidden agenda.

So, let's say you choose those people at random to create an unbiased voting and they still think she is ugly. I believe that people shouldn't be expected to meet others' standards. The media is affecting people's judgements as well. Also, they might vote "beautiful" to better that person's self-esteem. I don't think anyone should seek people's approval of their look, values, personality, etc...anyone knows his/her points of weakness and points of strength. One should work on them without seeking approval.

I have a mirror and I have eyes to look myself at it. I am the only unbiased person that may judge my appearance, personality, strengths, flaws, etc...even my parents could be biased. :)

What Girls Said 4

• Well, unless we took a world wide poll for that one person - we'll never get an accurate depiction of their attraction.

Like if the majority of people being polled are white - and there's a black person being judged here against a white person - more are going to say the white person is more attractive due to a more natural preference in one's own race.

So it'd be pretty freakin hard to get anything remotely close to accurate lol.

One group of people may rate that person a 4 - another may rate them a 7.

So it's quite subjective.

• No I don't think so.There would always be people with different opinions and I don't think we able to count it.The majority can't be used to measure someone attractiveness.Even it is the 'majority' who said she is ugly, still there are people who think she is beautiful(minority).Unless if the number of people who said she is beautiful is zero,then it probably valid but that is impossible to happen.

• Well yes but you would have to have a wide mix of different people with different preferences but I think attractiveness works on a spectrum on one end you have definitive ugly where you/ anyone cannot argue that the person is attractive and you have definitive beautiful/ attractive which is where you/ anyone cannot argue that they are ugly you might not be attracted to them or they be your type but there is no way they are ugly and weather everything in between is ugly or beautiful is up to personal preference. You see this happen everyday on a smaller scale take school as an example there are always a group of girls and guys that get lots of attention and are deemed hot/ beautiful because they are and others agree (obviously some will disagree but more will agree than disagree) and as you go down the scale of attractiveness you get less and less people finding said person attractive. The whole thing is down to personal preference but people's preferences tend to overlap. Like in the case of a hot girl walking down the street how come one girl will get say 20 people staring at her and another girls will get one?

• No. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." It's always subjective.

What Guys Said 7

• It means that a majority did not find that person attractive. It doesn't mean that the person isn't attractive to all people. There could be a minority that finds whatever characteristics of that person's looks to be attractive to those small numbers of individuals. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the majority beheld it as not attractive. A minority didn't. You can't define attraction for others.

• It only makes it so in the eye of the beholders who judged the person to be ugly..

• I know it is a huge cliche but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

This is really extreme but one could argue that there is no such thing as "ugly" or "beauty" as it is a personal view and one thing cannot be universally defined by one individual's opinion.

I think there are things/people that are popularly considered beautiful or ugly but there will always be at least one person who holds the opposite opinion. How can something be ugly if at least one person finds it beautiful? And vice versa.

• Nah diffrent people find diffrent things attractive. White people like white looking people over other races. And so it goes for every race. In that sense for example I am pretty unattractive for most white people but as soon as I am around Italians or Latino I get a lot more looks and or interest. And just as everyone else said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So don't let f***ers mess with your ego. No one hold the absolute scale of beauty.

• If the majority of people tell you that the sky is blood red does that make it true?

• Nope. I have my own opinions.

• Everyone say I am handsome and hot,but for my ex girlfriend I am the most ugliest and disgusting person ever walked on this planet..no wonder she tries so hard to not see me around otherwise she would have hard time eating her food