Are 20 inch wide (wall width) shoulders considered wide shoulders?

Do you think?

link

Most Helpful Guy

• Anthropometric Measurements

I looked it up; the rule is for the shoulder line to be three times the head's width, i.e. you can fit three heads across the line.

I've also looked into anthropometric databases. For an adult male the average head width is 6.1" whereas the shoulder line is 18.3". This is a shoulder line to head width ratio of 3.

For a small person, the head width can be no smaller than 5.6" and the shoulder line no smaller than 15.8". This is a ratio of 2.82.

For a large person, the head width can be no larger than 6.7" and the shoulder line no larger than 20.6". This is a ratio of 3.07.

So, if we want our head to look normal, the shoulder line should be 3 times our head's width, a ratio of 3.

If we want our head to look small, we increase the ratio towards 3.07.

If we want our head to look large, we reduce the ratio towards 2.82.

Of course, reducing the ratio may mean that the shoulder line is smaller than your real size, so the suit won't fit you. I believe in these cases the slope of the shoulders has a visual effect. Even if the ratio is perfect, i.e. 3, slopping shoulders can make the shoulder line look smaller and your head larger. Here, the suit must compensate for the slope.

To answer your question, we don't know but 20 is normal.

• But that link says 18 inches is normal?

What Girls Said 4

• that is positively disgusting. I don't know why guys do that to themselves.

• huh?

• guys who are that big. it's huge and it's nasty.

• oooh right lol, I just used the link because it talked about shoulder widths and such...

• Yes, or I think so anyways, my boyfriend has wide shoulders like them but he trains like crazy and eats tons of protein so he's huge

• Well, in the pictures those guys are scary. So I looked up 20 inch shoulders in google and saw decent sized guys, so I'd say it's a good measurement. But I'm no expert (:

• lol I appreciate your efforts :P :) ... but them guys are a bit bigger than 20 inches lol... mines not after a workout though so... maybe 20-21 if I like pumped myself up like they do lol... I don't train though...

• ahah gee thanks (:

• Pleasure :P

• yea that's like steroid worthy

What Guys Said 4

• What girls want is proportion. Look up the "Golden ratio".

The same principal works for girls and their hips/breasts, proportion is more important than absolute size.

• haha.

• Yeah, that's wide. DerpAH!

• I think having "broad shoulders" has to do with your frame size and height. For example I'm 6'3" and my shoulder width is approximately 22 inches. I'm muscular but I'm not a body builder type. I have a large frame. Most people consider me to have broad shoulders.

If you want a scientific explanation I found this on firefighters link which states their average shoulder width to be 20.8 inches with a standard deviation of 1.4 inches. So in relation to firefighters you are average while I'm one standard deviation above average statistically. Firefighters are usually in shape and lift weights so they may alter the bell curve a little bit. =P

• I don't know how you or they measure there shoulders but :S ... that procedure in the picture seems really odd and in-accurate lol. There measuring out way beyond where there shoulder and arm ends?..

I just stood flat againts a wall and had someone mark a pencil line either side of me...

But I'm NOWHERE NEAR 6'3 lol... I'm a shorty... about 5'6.5-5'7

• I did my with a t-shirt on... I don't think it would change it more than a millimeter... I tested the wall pencil on each side and it ended up the same.

• Well it would with what their wearing lol.. yeah thin t-shirt would only inhibit it but about 2.5 milimeters