My boyfriend is way too guido..

Ok, so my boyfriend is very very guido, and he's been like this as long as I can remember. (Think Jersey Shore) What are some ways that I can start getting him to dress like a normal almost-30-year-old man?

wow I didn't think I'd get so many harsh answers! I've been with my boyfriend almost 10 years. We're not breaking up. I was just wondering if there was a way I could get him to wear some other style of clothing. Sheesh.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well first off apart from what others have said (I won't mention names) I think you dress rad!

As for your question, one day when you guys are out to the store try to get him to try something on that you like and tell him if he does (depending on if he is fussy) you would try on whatever he would like, make it fun :)

Then once he has it on compliment the heck out of him! Never nag a man, they HATE that. Don't pressure him to buy it right then and there, if he wants to great :D but if he doesn't no biggy, which leads to action plan D) you buy it for him as a gift (I think that would impress him). Then every time he wears what you like reward him with kisses or a neck rub. It's just like training a puppy, you train it through compliments and love, not screams and spanks :/

Hope it helped!

Xoxoxox Ruby

What Guys Said 7

• Well, you could try getting him some new clothes... try to stay positive about it; criticizing doesn't ALWAYS work... depends on the guy.

One of my "girl friends" went on the attack about MY clothes recently and many of the girls at the table seemed to jump in, complaining about my look.

Now, a bit about me... I wear nice dress shirts, so it's not like I'm wearing a holey A shirt and stained jeans. I'm a "business professional" so I take care of my hygiene fairly well naturally; I'm no metrosexual, but I make sure the teeth are brushed, I have good breath, I smell nice, and I don't belch, or scratch myself in public.

While I'm not super fashionable, I do alright. I know the basics. I have an artist's background, so I would think that would account for something.

Their attitude was complaining about everything. But I've had plenty of times where I've met these girls with a look I thought they'd like - I "clean up" a bit differently, they barely seem to notice...

My first tip... ladies... if you don't like a guy's look, you can be honest, without being nasty. But if you DO complain, and he finally changes it, then COMPLIMENT the guy! If you still don't think iit fits him, find something good about the guys look (again, you don't have to lie), and focus on duplicating that with a different look again (Keep in mind if he's spending hours on this and hates it, you're not doing him any favors by continuing to shop).

2) Complaining may not make me change my look, especially if others seem to love it... but if I do change the look, and no one seems to notice or care, then I'm going back to the look (I like) that gets me more compliments.

3) Get other girls in on it (NOT his mom). DON'T get a group of girls all at once to drag him to the store, unless he's OK with it. A group of girls is usually dangerous (With my friends, a group of girls talking is like letting my brain cells die a slow, painful death). What I really mean is that if they won't speak up just naturally, get them to speak up. Obviously, they don't have to flirt, but a quick compliment from a lot of girls will go far for keeping a new look.

Also, if there's something he wants to change about your look, let him do it - fair is fair.

4) Don't make it too hard for him. Don't drag him clothes shopping for three hours where he can't get a break, can't sit and just "let you do your thing."

I hated shopping with my ex because she'd drag me into women's stores and demand that I agree something was cute or icky. Then she'd talk about everything over and over.

Consider making it into a hunt type thing. Look for one type of thing, get in, get out, and reward him. Let him go to our equivalent of a "toy store" (Let us play with the power tools); get something to eat... at his favorite bar...

Find the things that make a guy fine with shopping and try to incorporate that.

Good luck.

• Subtly is key.

Make him think it's his idea to wear this new style you like. Slip him hints of how good he'd look in X clothing. Make him feel sexy and reward him when he does. Notice it. Just make him feel more comfortable in new styles and encourage him to try them.

Don't buy him clothes. Don't ask him to wear the clothing you like. Don't try to dress him.

Maybe offer him exchanges for wearing things you like, like you wear something he likes. Then encourage him when he does wear them.

Pretty much just condition him.

In the end if he's too comfortable or he's adamant against change, then so be it. You must just accept his style.

• whatever you do, I hope you don't regret it and start missing the old him... "ooohh now that he dresses different, it doesn't feel the same, I miss those day when we first met and he wore this, etc" I hope you don't get to this level because this would be even worst for you

• So you're trying to change your man, eh?

It's not gonna work.

• Make him feel insecure in the clothes he already wears (fat,ugly,jerseyshore,sad...etc), then go shopping with him for new clothes, tell him to try on all the clothes that you think he and you will like and then tell him he looks sexy (or whatever compliment you want to tell him) in those new clothes.

• Suggesting a different kind of clothing style is not changing a person...

Just talk about to him ask him to give you a chance to dress him for say a day or week and she if he likes the change.

• If only this site required to a put a explanation to accompany each down-vote...the irrational beings would be so much fun to play with.

• You get a new boyfriend. That's how you change it. If a girl told me she didn't like my style, I would think she's nuts. If you like me, you like me for ME, not who you want me to be

• By the way, isn't 12 years a bit of..well, eh, nevermind

What Girls Said 7

• Errrrr...i wouldn't recommend trying to change someone.Thats who he IS. I know I would likely start to despise someone if they even attempted to try and change me in such a superficial way. He was like this when you met him and I believe that he should be allowed to be himself. :/

• Sorry XxAlyssa if this answer is too harsh for you, but it's an honest and realistic approach.For instance,if he began attempting to change your hair,piercing or clothing choices because he feels YOU need to grow up and conform to what everyone else is wearing,what would you feel?Lets say he is adamant about you conforming...would that not be in violation of who you are?Really think about it.People here are giving their honest answers based on experience or overall opinions.

• Good answer!

• High five Kain! :)

• He is who he is. Either accept it, or move on.

• wearing clothes make you who you are?

• @FierceMegan2: I agree. I don't think I could happily be with someone who wants to change ME.When I dress,its a form of expression.Secondly,Im clean,my apparel is neat/clean,im not walking around resembling a hobo,so what's the problem?I once dates a guy and he tried to change everything about me from my hair style,down to my shoes. It only caused me to feel inadequate and eventually I checked out and stopped seeing him. So he would have been better off accepting me completely.

• Thank you for your comment. :) I agree.

• as much as it pains me to say this about a guido-you shouldn't change the person you love. let him be.

• Hmm maybe buy him a few new clothes that are in between his style and what you want him to dress like as a suprise gift? He'll probably appreciate the thought as long as its a leeeetle like something he would wear. Gradual change. Maybe occasionally point out how silly it would be if Pauly D or someone was a guido until their 80s? But if that style is REALLY him, don't try to hard to change it,

• Mike the Situation is in his thirties and so is Pauly D!

• assuming that's you in the picture, you don't dress very normal either.

• damn! this was kinda cold

• it's not that I think she dresses bad, it's more like she shouldn't tell other people how to dress if she has an unusual way of dressing too. she probably wouldn't like it if her boyfriend told her to dress more like a preppy girl.

• someone tried to copy my sign name :s

• I don't see as what you are trying to do as "changing him" maybe just maturing him or trying to help him be perceived as a responsible adult. I would suggest that you don't go about this tweak in a confronting manner but more so a positive aloof sort of way. Perhaps while shopping with him suggest a shirt or pants you like, but don't demean what he is currently wearing just act extremely positive towards a certain style and he might at least try it on. If he does, tell him how hot he looks. Just give positive feed back.