Would you take someone seriously at a job interview if they had unconventional hair?

If you were interviewing someone and they turned up in heels, and tights and skirts/trousers, a nice shirt, and wearing minimal make up, hair in a pony tail etc etc, the typical way you turn up if you're serious about the job.

BUT

If that person had interesting, unique hair would that make you think differently about that person? Even if they made a fantastic impression?

For instance, I have a hair color similar to Lady Gaga (one of her styles..) - block blond fringe and the rest of it dark dark dark dark brown. I'm planning to put it into a neat ponytail, but would my hair make you doubt me, regardless of anything else?

Just as an added thing, I work in a customer service job, I've applied for a customer service position and a lot of customers comment that they love my hair and that it suits me. I was just curious that even if I excelled in every other area if it would be as shallow as my hair.
Just temp. I've put a photo of myself as my profile picture. It's not the best example of my hair, but I was trying to show the colors & with my face so you could see if it suits/looks appropriate/etc. Honest answers please and yes I am directly dealing with customers.
link - excuse the odd image/situation.

Because I didn't want to leave a photo of myself as my profile, for those who didn't see it while I had a photo on GAG, do you think this hair is inappropriate?

Most Helpful Girl

• I wouldn't think differently of it as long as you come in professional but I'm young. I'm sure the person interviewing you won't be though. I could see someone thinking its rebellious and not professional. You can come in looking the part but your hair can make you seem like you are a badass which isn't a quality that a lot of people look for when hiring someone. I think your best bet is to just go in there and be happy, very happy. You're going to have to suck up more than usual but its possible. Just all depends on the person interviewing you. The worst thing that can happen is that they say no so I say just go in there and see if you're lucky. Good luck!

What Guys Said 6

• It absolutely depends on the job and the culture of the prospective employer. If you're interviewing with a stock brokerage to deal with high end clients, the hair is a killer. If you're going for a sales job in a sex toys store, that's a whole different matter.

• Having seen your profile photo, I have to say that look on you is stunning.

• Awwww...thank you, I wasn't fishing for comments but thank you.

So, even though it's a "young" and "unusual" look, do you think I will be looked down on in an interview?

• I would carry those positive comments into the interview, annotate each with the kind of customer they are, e.g. spends a lot, never returns purchases, etc. to overcome any resistance. Mention you could change your hair to suit if the boss doesn't want to give it a try for a few weeks.

• Depends. If its artistic/fashionable and pulled off well then it could work in their favour. But if it just looks abnormal, or just isn't of good quality, then it may be something many employers would flag up.

• If it was for a back office technical position, I wouldn't mind, but I'd slot you into 'can never meet clients'. Since we try to hire people who have multiple growth paths, you'd need to demonstrate growth paths in other areas.

For the record, I used to have the sides and back of my head shaved and the hair on top chin length. I'm not bothered by your hair, sounds interesting, but its limiting in a corporate environment.

• Just to be clear, I answered this from the perspective of my industry. Certainly in some industries it would be fine.

• No. Lacks professionalism. But if it was a job that didn't involve customers, it might be a little different.

Funny this came up, because my brother runs the IT Department at a bank and they were looking for an IT guy and found a good one, but they may not get to hire him because the President of the company doesn't like his hair. He has a ponytail. This, despite the fact this guy isn't ever going to be with customers or work during business hours. Goes to show you even small things that seem minute can be crucial.

• For me, it will depends on the dress code of the work location. For example, I used to work on a trading floor of an investment bank. The trading floor had pretty specific dress code compared to any other floor of the same company.

I also worked for a company that had a very casual dress code.

Ultimately though, it will depend on your interviewer.

What Girls Said 5

• Since you're dealing directly with customers, I'd have some reservations about it. But if you say it looks nice and appropriate and you've had customers that say they love it, I'd probably say it's OK.

• Yep! If YOU were just like your hair, then that would be a "maybe." But if you're not, then yes. XD (hope you didn't take that the wrong way lol)

• OK, looked at the pic. I think your hair looks fine for dealing with the public. Not a problem.

• I think it sounds worse than it is. Thank you :)

• Yes, definitely sounds worse than it is. I used to work in corporate and this hair would have been fine where I worked.

• it's kind of unprofessional for many fields

• i think that it would make you look less mature and serious. there is a degree of conformity required in the workplace and it just doesn't look professional. I know there are certain things that are the norm nowadays but I don't think they are professional or workplace appropriate. This includes wacky hair and multiple piercings for the most part. Also tattoos.

• There is a photo...and I don't mean unconventional by putting weird crap in it.