Can guys over 35 wear sneakers?

I am not asking about wearing sneakers when doing chores on the weekend. But to go out to casual events such as drinks with friends or brunch, etc. And just to be clear I am not talking about a pair of Nike Air or runners. Or does there come a time when you just have to give up sneakers for anything other than playing sports.

I read a post about the rise of women in society. How the jobs available in modern economies favour a female skill set. I think there is truth to this. The role of men is still important but not as central as it once was.

In a more superficial way. I was out the other night thinking about the above. I was struck by how incredibly well put together and sophisticated the women looked and how the men looked like overgrown kids wearing sneakers. Then I looked down and saw my sneakers.

Most Helpful Guy

• Crap! I think you're right. I really need to get some real shoes!

• As for me I am working on more casual wear. Dinner. Dates. Drinks. Part of me even wants to give up jeans. There's a hip clothing company called "Life after Jeans". I just don't want to be that guy who wears a casual sport jacket and jeans everywhere because he does not know what else to wear.

• Thanks for the tip! That sounds great. Yeah, I need to upgrade my casual wardrobe, but I'll wait on that until I've sorted out all the work stuff. And of course, shoes are pretty critical. I would definitely like to have at least one tailored suit and a couple of very solid pairs of shoes. I'll check out Indochino. Sounds like a good starting point.

What Girls Said 4

• it depends how they go with his outfit but I don't really see anything wrong with it as long as they aren't bummy, or overly trendy like he's wearing his 16 year old sons shoes

• Yea it's fine

• YesI think so. It looks cool (to me.) I like when older guys wear converse, don't know why. Older as in 30's and 40's.

• i think it's sick when people wear toms and vans. not really sneakers per say, but it makes you look hip :P

What Guys Said 3

• I'll wear my chuck taylor sty converse shoes out some. I don't think there is anything wrong with a cool pear of sneakers when your in your 30's. A lot of times I will wear them if I have on something like a blazer or something to tone it down a bit.

• I don't. But it's normal to wear them. More simple low key ones obviously.

• No.