What is wrong with a male wearing tights?

I am a straight, fit, married with children forty-something. I cycle and run regularly and many times wear tights while doing so. Not girlie ones...Nike/Under Armour and always black. They are incredibly comfortable! They breathe and move with me unlike jeans or chinos/slacks...no bunching or need for constant adjustment. So here is the question...what is wrong with wearing them outside of physical activity? Given that it is done so tastefully and nothing is on display.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 3

• Well the reason it is considered "taboo" for guys to wear tights is because cross dressers use to wear them all the time and straight men and women didn't like the association.

I would need to see a picture to make an accurate decision (in my own opinion) that it looks good.

• Asking for pics of men in tights eh, Megan? :B

• Thanks for the feedback and I agree about the CD aspect having made it taboo. As for the pics, that would be dangerous with people not being able to control themselves...laughter that is! LOL!

• Haha, okay. I understand. :)

• because no one wants to see the crevices of your nutsack? LOL you're not working out so it doesn't look right for you to be wearing work out clothes, sorry. if your clothes are constantly bunching and need adjustment, your clothes probably don't fit.

• Agreed on the nutsack... The clothes fit as best they can. Try walking around for a day in boxers and jeans and you'll get some inkling of what I mean regarding bunching...sans the afore mentioned nutsack aspect. LOL! Thanks for taking your time and for your opinion

• It's no wrong, kinda gay/ European, but not wrong.

What Guys Said 5

• There is something wrong with it if by "outside of physical activity" you mean, for example, wearing your tights to go to the bank to deposit a check; wearing your tights to to meet your financial advisor; wearing your tights to pick up your kids from school.

Listen just because something is comfortable does not make it appropriate. Yes, there should be some objectives for appropriate. I may be comfortable in my pajamas but that does not mean I should wear them to a business meeting. In fact I am probably most comfortable in the nude. Does not mean I should sit with my friends at lunch in my birthday suit.

I know girls are starting to wear yoga pants everywhere now. Like even to bars. They do look great on. I have to admit that and that makes it harder for me to dislike it. But the principle takes precedence. No yoga pants outside yoga either!

Also, it probably looks a little lumpy :-)

• Thanks for your answer! However, I didn't really mean it as an everyday clothing choice. Obviously you wouldn't wear them to work or for business meetings and the like. Picking the kids up not an issue as I pick them up after a ride. I meant it in the context of occasional casual wear errands, coffee shop and shopping. Nudity would be best but just doesn't seem to work since we left the caves...nude guy not something I want to see! Don't knock the yoga pants on females...one of life's pleasures!

• I have this pair of long underwear (legs and groin only, not full body), that are kind of like tights. They're fairly form fitting, but the point of them is to insulate and keep water off. I wear them if it's really cold out or when I work outside for extended periods of time. I don't see anything wrong with it if it's for practicality sake and not for the look of it.

• Hold on there...never said full body like a dancer's unitard. Just like the ones you described...legs and groin. Thanks for answering!

• Yeah, I figured. I was just differentiating because I said "long underwear" which usually brings to mind the one piece they used to wear back in the day whereas I was meaning long legged gaunch. No problem!

• Nothing wrong with wearing tights, as this video shows. link

• You're married. Wear what you want. Unless your wife really hates it, in which case you have to wait until you're old. Then wear whatever you want.

• Nothing wrong with it, it just looks gross on a guy. Why? because women have the beautiful bodies with all curves in the right place that look good in tights, NOT men.