What does it mean if someone says you look exotic?

I know it's a compliment, but what characteristics that someone has that make them exotic? What makes one person exotic, and another person "not exotic"?

Most Helpful Girl

• when use don't look like the "usual"...maybe a mixture of racial backgrounds..or just a different aspect in your personal appearance...

it may be a compliment...

it may be an insult.

She looks exotic link she looks like a sculpure..but it is a person

What Guys Said 8

• Americans have distorted what the word "exotic" means completely to creating a whole new meaning for the term. Its no wonder its hard to even understand now what someone means when they say "exotic".

Simply put "Exotic" means - Originating in or characteristic of a distant foreign country.

In other words... a white person would not be exotic in Europe. A black person would not be exotic in Africa. An Asian person would not be exotic in Asia etc. Someone who is exotic is someone with characteristics that differ from the norm within that country. There isn't really such a thing as exotic in South America because its a really mixed country, although less... neither is there really such a thing as exotic in America.

• It means you look like a mixture of races/ethnicities, or something rarely seen.

• he might have meant erotic?

• Beautiful, but not conventional/stereotypical beauty, you have something different, usually meaning the shape of the eyes and/or color of skin and hair.

• It means exactly what the word means. Basically, unusual from the surrounding norm. Foreign, non native or experimental.

• "Exotic" means "something that is not white" or "common"

• Too me I think it's just another word for unordinary.

• exotic - where the hell did a motherf***er like you came from?

What Girls Said 4

• Different than the normal...However I personally tend to associate "exotic" with darker skins and beach hair ":D

• I think people look exotic when their racial background cannot be easily determined. So mixed people are exotic because they are interesting looking (in a good way) and you don't really know where they come from.

I think it's ignorant for an American to call a typical Asian (e.g., Japanese) exotic though...

• EVERYONE is exotic. EVERYONE is mixed with multiple ethinities and racial backgrounds to get our skin tones and colors.

• If you look like Rihanna?