Is eyeshadow primer needed?

Hello,

I've noticed a few girls who use primer for their eyes, and I've also known some girls who do not. Does it make a huge difference if primer is used before applying eyeshadow? If so, what is the best primer to use? What is your favorite?

Most Helpful Girl

• urban decay primer potion is great.

I prefer using primer because I have oily lids and it helps my eyeshadow stay on. it also makes the color apply better. you know how some shadows go on kind of chalky? well primer stops that and the pigment shows up better and I just feel like you get better use out of it

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 8

• I think it depends on the person. My mom never uses it and she uses my eyeshadow but it still goes on fine. I on the other hand need the primer or my eyes will look a mess/the eyeshadow won't show up. I use Too Faced illuminating primer.

• Not needed, but very helpful. Its purpose is to make your eyeshadow long lasting, prevent creasing, and give a more vibrant, true color on your eye lid. Depending on the brand of eye shadow, some will automatically give off a vibrant color and stay on, while other fade throughout the day.

So basically, it comes down to your skin type (dry, oily, etc.) and your overall preference.

• not needed.. depedns on the eye shadow you use... I use sallys girl eye shadow the are 99 cents each and last all day and I also use Profusion Essential that last all day untill you actually wipe it off with water and you get 39 different colors for 3.99 best ever

• Primer tends to make the color pop more, while using less eye shadow, and it also helps keep the eyeshadow on without it creasing.

I use MAC, but any primer should do.

• To me, it does make a difference.

It makes the colors pop, also my eyeshadow I wear doesn't crease. My eyelids tend to get oily, so the primer acts as a barrier to make it so it doesn't happen. I like to use the urban decay one.

• not absolutely necessary. but it helps keep it on for longer without smudging. smashbox has a good one I believe.

• yes yes yes! it keeps it on longer and the color is more vibrant. huge difference

• it does. my eyelids are naturally shadowy and dark so the shadow doesn't show up as much without primer, and it also looks more "messy" and doesn't stay on as well. the primer also gives you a blank canvas to start with.

smashbox photo finish is a good primer but since I have shadowy eyes it corrects the color, if you don't have this problem you can probably just use foundation on your lids, or maybe even concealer