Straightening hair problem?

Ok so as you can see, I am a guy. I am working of getting scene hair

link like that. Its not nearly there yet. I have blond hair and it is wavy. So, I have been straightening my hair for maybe 2 months. by the way I do plan on dying it black. So the issue is whenever I straighten my hair, my hair smells awful. I know that everyone is going to say that's its because I burn my hair, but I can guarantee you its not, so please leave that out. I have no idea why it does that and I really hate it. My girlfriend has pointed it out before and I have no idea what it could be. I use a very thin 1" Remington flat iron and Paul Mitchell Hot off the press thermal protection spray before I straighten it. Do you have any idea why it smells like this and how to fix it? Could it be that I've just recently started straightening it or the thermal protector?

Btw that's not me in the picture lol. I hate smoking.

Most Helpful Girl

• Like others have said, it's most likely the product. The product is probably burning a little too. I would suggest getting a different protector. I love the it's a 10 miracle leave in product, because it does apparently 10 different things. It'll protect it while you straighten, and itll also make it smell good, not girly, and itll help hold the straightened hair so that it lasts longer, and protects frizziness, moisturizes, adds shine, etc. Also make sure you use a really good moisturizing conditioner when you wash your hair, so that you can heal it, because heat everyday isn't good for the hair, even with protecting product. Paul Mitchell isn't as good as what people say, I use it on my dog, haha.

0/2500

Send It!
Sponsored

What Girls Said 9

• I hate that smell too but I only smell it when it gets wet again and my hair is curly...first I blow dry then flat iron,then put oil so its shiny..you can add essential oil to olive oil or buy a serum

• It's not because you just started straightening it, that rarely ever happens. It's probably the heat protectant. :/ You could try some of these link . I'd recommend the Sedu protectant or the FHI hot sauce :) Or you could even switch your shampoo or conditioner! Good luck :)

• Thanks a bunch! But I doubt it's the shampoo or conditioner. I use Matrix Sleek look for a long time. And this is a little weird but both my mom and sister use the same stuff and straighten their hair and it doesn't happen so I have no idea.

• ok thanks

• Have you considered a chemical straightner? My hair used to be wavy and I got chemical straightners put in and it made it much easier and much less time consuming!

• As gay as it seems you need to go shopping. Its not the straightener, its the fact that you probably use the protection spray before you straighten your hair. Common mistake. All you need to do is shower, make sure your hair is dry (but not greasy) and then use Tresemme heat tamer spray before and after you straighten your hair. Also, Dove flexible hair spray works so so good.. it smells great to guys and girls, and if you comb through your hair it will make it really soft.

• Ok thanks. I use this stuff because a stylist recommended it to me and told me how to use it. So maybe it is this. I will go look for a new product and thanks for the tip.

• What temp. do you heat it at (or is it not adjustable)? ...when you spray the thermal protector in your hair, do you let it dry or immediately straighten (if it's still damp that could give off a funky smell)? ...otherwise, I'm not sure

• Usually I keep it at 390 F.Sometimes I try 410 F

• I know...the hotter it is, the better it straightens (trust me it's tempting sometimes not to crank it up), also maybe clean your straightner before using it tomorrow (residue may build up)...good luck

• Ok thanks a lot :)

• You could try a serum that you put in while its wet, then spray in a different thermal protector before you straighten it. But make sure you don't spray in too much and then straighten the piece right away, wait till it sinks into your hair. If not that would literally fry it and have the opposite effect of a heat protector.

• I think its the heat protector or you didn't wash out all of the conditioner

• Maybe it's The paul mitchell stuff that smells funky. Maybe try a different brand.

How often do you wash your hair?

• Every single day, sometimes twice.

• :-/ that's not it then. I would definitely try a different product.

Maybe the scent doesn't mix well with your natural oils in your hair, just like colongnes smell differnet on different people.

Or

Maybe you are supposed to put the stuff on before you dry your hair because it will still be wet if you don't cauing the iron to sizzle and hair to smell burnt.

• Use a titanium plate flat iron

What Guys Said 1

• Don't girls use a special creme or something that makes their hair smell nice?

Apart from that thermal protection stuff. Or, it might be just that.

• i have no idea about any hair perfume product and I wouldn't use it anyways lol.