Why are so many people worried about their weight? But resigned to it?

So few are willing to do anything about it, but always worry and talk about it as if were the nearby mountain, just a fact of life that can't be changed..

Pls remember to RATE!

Tamikaze.BUZZZZ off, you have me blocked so don't bother to answer any of my questions!

Most Helpful Girl

• um people do that about everything. unless you are in the extreme minority of human beings who don't do this, you probably complain about something that you aren't consciously acting to change as well. the difference is you can see theirs clearly. but its no different than many other situations.

What Girls Said 13

• There are many reasons a person would find it hard to do something about their weight. I know for me it's been a thing I have had to deal with. Even harder because I have a health issue, hypothyroidism. A lot of people who don't have health or weight issues shrug it off as if it is not a big deal and that I should be their definition of healthy. But it's not always easy.

Eating well and working out a lot I am still bigger. The lowest I have ever been was 150. But for my frame that's not too bad. But at that weight I had lost a lot of muscle, so it was not fun.

I find it hard because some people are so judgmental about it. People tell me to not worry, but it's hard to ignore it when people will come out and tell you stuff. Like "oh you must not be trying", when you are actually trying really hard. I eat way less and better than a lot of people. However I am still overweight. It's depressing when you work out at the gym, and see all these people at school who look perfect and they don't even work out or eat right. Or if they do, they don't work out much. People can say suck it up, but it is still discouraging. Even if a person is thin now a days they are still called fat by someone in society. And when you have a health condition you don't always have control of your health. In my case, my body does what it wants. I can do everything right, but at the end of the day if my condition gets worse, it gets worse. No amount of diet and exercise is going to stop it, it's something that I have, something in my body is not working as it should.

It's also hard to stay motivated to exercise and lose weight when there is this constant disapproval from other people. I used to go on walks around my city, but now I only go to the gym to do it. I had to stop going outside because people for whatever reason feel they need to harass me when I exercise. They will throw things and make comments on my weight. And FYI, I am not even that big. I am only a size 16-18, still big, but not big enough that I should cause such an uproar. Yet people treat me as if I am 600lbs.

I think for most people its just this complicated issue. Some people just assume it's easy to lose weight because they can. But not for everyone. What I have is common and there are a lot of diseases and conditions that have the same effect, and make people gain weight. It is a personal choice for some, they eat a lot and don't exercise. But I think society needs to really start to see that it's not always the case. Someone choosing to overeat is not always the main cause.

• People with such diseases are a small minority of those complainers, and I doubt you go around complaining and talking about your weight that much. I'm talking about people who DO constantly complain but won't do anything for ever and ever.

• I'm not sure why some people talk about it so much. I never was one of those, but recently, I started changing my diet and I'm excising daily. I'm simply tired of being overweight, so I'm going to do something about it. If everyone who was tired and whining would get off their butts and do what it takes, we wouldn't hear so many people talking about it as if it's impossible.

But if there's one thing I know, its that being overweight isn't fun. People don't get it if they've never been there themselves. We get ignored, picked and, and stared at. It's just not ideal, but it's not always easy for some people to get started. It's taken me a while to do so, but better late than never, right?

• I'm not particularly worries about my weight, but shape (more specifically, muscle tone) is sort of a big deal for me. I tend to be underweight these days and try to build up tone and strength to keep the weight up to a reasonable level.

Send me a message if you have specific suggestions for that. :-)

• I agree! Or there's the people who think that they can lose weight by just sitting around and taking diet pills. Or there's the people who think that they can sit around and never workout and still lose as much as they want to quickly.

• Hmm id say because it is pretty complicated. People have wishes, but many of us deal with emotions by eating- because this is the most convinient and faster solution for stress or emotional discomfort. So to give up THAT, is not easy. I've been eating differently for 2 weeks, and getting rid of junk food and late night eating, or a good dinner...was so difficult, it effects my mood in a big way.But I agree, many of us do not make that step, out of lazyness, out of problems in our emotional world and s many other reasons.

• That is an interesting observation. It might not be so annoying to hear people talk about their dissatisfaction with their bodies if they were really trying to do something about it. Of course, some people sincerely believe they cannot do anything about it, but that is rarely the truth. Not many have the thyroid issues they imagine. More so, I find that many people really and truly believe that the type and amount of food they eat is what they should be eating and they cannot believe that they should make any changes. A lot of people think it will be resolved if only they could exercise more or at all, but exercise plays a limited role in controlling weight unless you go at it like an Olympic athlete.

I know what we looked like in the 70's, and I know what we ate, what we did not eat and what normal portions were. They are nothing like what people have gotten used to now.

• Because food is just so delicious. People are impatient, looking different takes allot of will power and a long long time. but food is delicious right now, it makes people happy to eat deliciousness.

Its easy for an 18 year old to say I exercise daily and eat healthy, but they don't struggle with a dwindle-ling metabolism and a full time career as say someone in their 40s. At this point it takes very long and even more work. Allot of people are lucky to have a fast metabolism and youth also perhaps but I feel and understand why some people have a hard time changing old habits, it is an unfair dish out too, its way easier for some people than others. I am not saying its good to be overweight, but I don't judge, its more complicated than that and health issues can be a factor aswell.

• The US media controls the way we think and behave - in many ways. Especially with females and their self images.

• I think that many are worried about their weight but don' do anything about it because they don't know where to start. I don't know just a thought. not much detail but... that's what I think.sorry, not much of an answer.

• I think people are not willing to put the work in to change so they resign to being big. Others don't think they are that bad off.

• They want people to feel sorry for them. So they won't do anything because then people wouldn't feel sorry for them.

• Losing weight can be extremely difficult for some people. Others don't think the rewards are worth the sacrifice and they have a right to feel however they want about the situation.

• I'm guilty..

There's so many scrumptious foods out there!

What Guys Said 9

• In my life I have been as light as 170 and as heavy as 310 at 5'10" and here is my outlook on this.. People who have never been fat don't realize just how negative people treat you.. and most people don't even realize they are doing it. People will actively not make eye contact, or try to not have to talk to you. Any advance even if just saying "hi" and tryign to get to know someone is instantly thought of as "creepy".

I remember when I went from 300 to like 200.. There was this one moment where a girl walked up and randomly started talking to me and it was the first time in my entire life that it had happened and I was 25 years old. 25 years and not a single girl had tried to have a random conversation with me in my entire life! And it's not just girls.. guys will do the same thing with guys.. you are less likely to have guys just randomly go "hey I'm ____ nice to meet you!" in a new class or whatever.

Fat people realize this is happening.. and they want to lose weight.. but for some people weight loss isn't easy. For me I had to make significant life changes.. I had to stop doing a lot of the things I was doing and replace them with working out. I had to get made fun of for ordering salads when going to dinner with my friends haha. Some people just don't have the willpower or motivation to do those things, especially with all the depression and self-loathing involved in being rejected even for friendships and being labeled as creepy or scary all the time.

• Agreed. I don't think people should be treated with any less decency no matter how the look/how overweight they are, but for the people that just sit and feel bad about themselves and continue to do nothing about I can't muster a whole lot of sympathy for.

• Ignorance, probably. I have more sympathy for overweight people nowadays. I notice I scoff down way more than some of them, and yet manage to keep a decent weight. So of course there's a genetic component, not to detract from individual responsibility. We all find certain aspects of life difficult, doesn't give you an excuse to give up. But I think crucially people aren't educated about diet and exercise. As I say, some people eat a lot less than me, less regular meals, and they put on weight. So it's obvious they've slowed their metabolism, and likely aren't aware of it. It's no wonder they make such little progress. I think also, people have a tendency to give up too quickly, how often do you see people that tell you they're on a new exercise regime, or joined up at the gym. Often without fail they've given up within the first two months. So people have unrealistic expectations, they want a quick fix and have no will power. And also, they're not educated enough to go about weight loss in a proper way. Finally, there are cultural influences. Peoples' minds are polluted with a whole host of rubbish. They're taught that they should love themselves for who they are. It's obvious they misunderstand the meaning of this phrase. One should change destructive behavior patterns, after that they can love their idiosyncrasies or what can't be reasonably changed.

Where's the emphasis on maintaining health? Men are just as guilty. They want to work out to look good, not to be healthy.

• One could write a lot about this. It's obvious too, that certain behavior patterns are passed on from your parents. If you spend every other meal eating a take away or processed meals, and you're not familiar with anything else, it's hardly surprising that it becomes embedded in the next generation.

• wow such a well thought out answer. I agree 100 &. PLUS: I am going to add...id really make it a must to tech little kids in school about healthy eating,exercise and stuff like that. Because I know,i was and still am too dumb to know what are the things I am eating and the effects they have on my body

• Some people just don't have the motivation to get off their butts and do something about it. An even more shocking fact is many people don't really know how. Exercise and healthy eating may be something that is incredibly hard to understand.

• But they read about it, talk about it all the time...

• Well those people who just talk about it are the dreamers, they wish some miracle would fall out of the sky and they would suddenly become thin and toned. Those are the people who are just too lazy to take action.

• “We live in more of a p**** generation now where everybody’s become used to saying, “Well, how do we handle it psychologically?” In those days, you just punched the bully back and duked it out. Even if the guy was older and could push you around, at least you were respected for fighting back, and you’d be left alone from then on. I don’t know if I can tell you exactly when the p**** generation started. Maybe when people started asking about the meaning of life…” —Clint Eastwood

• I don't know about some movie actor telling us we should be tougher...

• Well because everyone is pretty self-concious when it comes to their looks. I do find it annoying when the person isn't doing anything to change but only talk about it. It's simply a hard task that's for sure.

P.S. It kind of annoys me how you always want people to rate your question so that you get more points for asking it. If the people like it I'm sure they'll rate it.

• No, they're too lazy, just as in this question. They need to be reminded.

• Because they're lazy.

• Dont know

• I'm worried about losing weight.